3L, Top-40, Top 12%, Law Review - Clerking opportunities? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

3L, Top-40, Top 12%, Law Review - Clerking opportunities?

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:37 am

I am evaluating whether I have a strong chance at getting any federal district court clerkships (I know COA is most likely out). I would also very much be interested in a state COA or state supreme court clerkship.

I am currently working in-house but have held two other positions prior to this in the area of government relations. I will be staff writer on the flagship journal at my school as I was invited to join this year through the writing competition.

Given my stats, do I have a good chance of getting a clerkship?

Anonymous User

Re: 3L, Top-40, Top 12%, Law Review - Clerking opportunities?

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:53 pm

Thank you for the reply. Even though I might out myself, I guess it doesn't really matter but the school is ASU. I have a meeting with the CSO this week and I was going to ask them about clerkship stats.

I am thinking of applying for a state clerkship at least mainly because I fear that mass mailings will fail and, ultimately, a clerkship will place me in a better position in the long-run. I know I have a very slim chance at a federal clerkship so that is why I am mainly interested in state clerkships. Supposedly, ASU has very good placement in the state supreme court because the chief justice graduated from ASU.

Anonymous User

Re: 3L, Top-40, Top 12%, Law Review - Clerking opportunities?

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:30 am

G. T. L. Rev. wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I am evaluating whether I have a strong chance at getting any federal district court clerkships (I know COA is most likely out).
COA is out. Since you are doing the post anonymously, you might as well say which school, as some T1s are much better at placing clerks than others. My gut feeling, however, is that you have a nonzero, but nonetheless not "strong" chance at landing a federal district court clerkship.
Although I generally agree with your assessment, I'd add the caveat that COA may not be out entirely for the OP if s/he is open to working for a couple of years at a very solid job (e.g., DCt (if s/he gets it, well-regarded biglaw firm, etc.), and then trying for COA. I clerked for an active judge at a top, coastal COA who has an absolute requirement that clerks have worked for multiple years before applying to clerk. This judge is extremely willing to consider strong candidates who come from T40 schools who have the OP's described grades and L.Rev. background, particularly where they have stellar references (esp., from a DCt clerkship). Indeed, two of my three co-clerks fit that description.

So, even though I agree that you're spot-on re: the conventional wisdom (and I know you're also a federal clerkship alum), I'd counsel the OP and others not to abandon all hope prematurely if they really want COA. Most COA judges won't consider clerks from the OP's described background - but a few will. Strategic tip: if you go after COA, especially target judges who aren't from T14 backgrounds themselves. IME, some of those judges are rather frustrated that the current, prestige-driven system shuts out worthy candidates from lower-ranked schools and are willing to give said candidates a shot.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”