Can a foreign born law student go into politics in the USA? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
justwondering123

New

Can a foreign born law student go into politics in the USA?

Post by justwondering123 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:55 pm

I aspire to go to Yale Law School and after working for a couple of years in a firm to pay of debt, i wish to enter politics, like maybe run for senator/mayor/ representative.

I just wanted to know if this is possible and the realities of this since ill be coming to the states at the age of 22. Will i just be viewed as a foreigner even if i was a green card citizen (would i have to declare citizenship to run)

Thanks guys :)

p.s. im a UK student :)

bdubs

Gold

Re: Can a foreign born law student go into politics in the USA?

Post by bdubs » Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:58 pm

You post the most ridiculous questions. Stop it.

kwais

Gold

Post by kwais » Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:00 pm

not that there is anything necessarily wrong with your goals, but I'm genuinely curious, if you've never lived in the States, why do you want to represent it's people?

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:00 pm

You have to be a citizen of the US for x number of years to be a Rep or Senator. 7 and 9, I think. Legally, yes, it is possible.

I give you about a .01% chance of that career path.

schooner

Bronze

Post by schooner » Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:04 pm

justwondering123 wrote:I aspire to go to Yale Law School and after working for a couple of years in a firm to pay of debt, i wish to enter politics, like maybe run for senator/mayor/ representative.

I just wanted to know if this is possible and the realities of this since ill be coming to the states at the age of 22. Will i just be viewed as a foreigner even if i was a green card citizen (would i have to declare citizenship to run)

Candidates for Congress and major statewide office usually have deep roots in the districts/states they wish to represent. After a decade or more of seriously laying down roots (getting married to an American and having kids, community leadership, local office, etc) and probably getting independently wealthy (so you can self-fund your campaigns), you might actually have a shot. Also you get points if you're tall and good-looking.

By the way, I can't believe you asked such a dumb question about citizenship and expect to go to YLS. It's common sense and basic research. But then again, neither is required to be a successful politican in the US.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:04 pm

5ky wrote:You have to be a citizen of the US for x number of years to be a Rep or Senator. 7 and 9, I think. Legally, yes, it is possible.

1/10000? Being a little generous don't you think?

schooner

Bronze

Post by schooner » Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:09 pm

AreJay711 wrote:
5ky wrote:You have to be a citizen of the US for x number of years to be a Rep or Senator. 7 and 9, I think. Legally, yes, it is possible.

1/10000? Being a little generous don't you think?
If this guy ever runs for office, I hope somebody outs his stupidity on these forums.

tww909

Bronze

Post by tww909 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:11 pm

justwondering123 wrote:I aspire to go to Yale Law School and after working for a couple of years in a firm to pay of debt, i wish to enter politics, like maybe run for senator/mayor/ representative.

uhh duh, don't you know barack obama was born in kenya?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

LoyalRebel

Bronze

Post by LoyalRebel » Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:19 pm

I wouldn't vote for you.

No offense....

Aston2412

Bronze

Post by Aston2412 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:24 pm

schooner wrote:
By the way, I can't believe you asked such a dumb question about citizenship and expect to go to YLS. It's common sense and basic research. But then again, neither is required to be a successful politican in the US.[/quote]

That's a little harsh. Maybe I was being overly generous when I read his question as pertaining to feasibility, not possibility?

holybartender

Bronze

Post by holybartender » Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:32 pm

Kozinski is Romanian...

tea_drinker

Silver

Post by tea_drinker » Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:32 pm

Nah, you should just get buff and be this guy

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:35 pm

It's possible. You would first need to 1) become a US citizen, 2) adapt yourself to American culture and sensibilities, and then 3) run a successful political campaign. (I'm not sure that point 1 is legally necessary, but you'll have a very hard time with voters these days once your opponent starts attacking your lack of citizenship.)

Basically, come here, stay here, work here, show you belong here, and then you'll have the same ridiculously slim chances of actually running and winning a major political election as any American-born person naive enough to pick it as a life goal.

justwondering123

New

Post by justwondering123 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:49 pm

what about being a judge i here that its more easier to be a foreign born judge in america than a politician?

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:08 pm

justwondering123 wrote:what about being a judge i here that its more easier to be a foreign born judge in america than a politician?
There is absolutely no way you are getting into Yale when you "here" that it's "more easier" to be a foreign born judge in america than a politician.

sunynp

Gold

Post by sunynp » Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:16 pm

McCain was born in Panama but he was born on an part of Panama (Panama Canal Zone Naval Base) controlled by the US so he is a US citizen. He doesn't count as a foreign born politician even if Wikipedia lists him that way. I don't think that he was ever considered as a citizen of Panama under Panamanian Law.

But probably the best way to become a successful foreign-born American politician is to marry into a powerful political family.
Last edited by sunynp on Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

emciosn

Bronze

Post by emciosn » Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:17 pm

bdubs wrote:
justwondering123 wrote:what about being a judge i here that its more easier to be a foreign born judge in america than a politician?
There is absolutely no way you are getting into Yale when you "here" that it's "more easier" to be a foreign born judge in america than a politician.
Does anyone else think the phrase "I aspire to go to Yale" is just silly in the first place. Of course you do, everyone does. That's like saying I aspire to breath tomorrow. It's the most prestigious and most selective law school in the world good luck.

Even if you do get in (unlikely) your next question is if you could become a US senator or representative or a state mayor even though you were not born here. There are Americans with existing political connections to schools like Yale and Harvard that can't even attain these political positions. There are kids at T1 schools that can't even get jobs right now. The odds of anything happening in your OP are extremely small.

ghostwhowalks

New

Post by ghostwhowalks » Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:09 pm

sunynp wrote:McCain was born in Panama but he was born on an part of Panama (Panama Canal Zone Naval Base) controlled by the US so he is a US citizen. He doesn't count as a foreign born politician even if Wikipedia lists him that way. I don't think that he was ever considered as a citizen of Panama under Panamanian Law.

But probably the best way to become a successful foreign-born American politician is to marry into a powerful political family.
Looking at the list of incumbents, it becomes apparent that there is actually no chance for an individual who first came to the U.S. at age ~20 to become a successful politician.

schooner

Bronze

Post by schooner » Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:34 pm

Last edited by schooner on Sun May 03, 2015 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

prezidentv8

Gold

Post by prezidentv8 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:42 pm

Seems generous.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

memoryl0ss

New

Post by memoryl0ss » Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:45 pm

Governor

--ImageRemoved--

TheFriendlyBarber

Bronze

Post by TheFriendlyBarber » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:57 pm

We don't like your kind 'round here.

GATORTIM

Silver

Post by GATORTIM » Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:06 pm

U can be president with some construction paper, watermark and high quality printer

BrianGriffintheDog

Bronze

Post by BrianGriffintheDog » Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:10 pm

You could probably go "into" politics, but I doubt you'll be able to get very far.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”