NJ/CT Firm question Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

NJ/CT Firm question

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:40 pm

For someone who only has ties to NYC, is it worth spending my last OCI bids on firms in NJ and CT? These firms are within ~45 mins distance from NYC, but I have no ties to either region - is that going to be a big issue for those firms? I've read advice on here suggesting students at NYU and Penn spend their last ~10 bids on these secondary markets, but does that hold true if one has no ties to them? Thanks.

get it to x

Bronze

Re: NJ/CT Firm question

Post by get it to x » Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:48 pm

I can't speak to CT firms, but NJ firms definitely have a strong preference for those who have ties to the area and if they have any inclination that it's a secondary option for you, you may end up being surprised with the results. Other states (PA comes to mind) don't seem to have this problem, but NJ definitely looks for people who have an attachment to the area, have/are growing roots there, etc. Its definitely a who do you know type of state. My experience with NY firms has been the exact opposite.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:52 pm

get it to x wrote:I can't speak to CT firms, but NJ firms definitely have a strong preference for those who have ties to the area and if they have any inclination that it's a secondary option for you, you may end up being surprised with the results. Other states (PA comes to mind) don't seem to have this problem, but NJ definitely looks for people who have an attachment to the area, have/are growing roots there, etc. Its definitely a who do you know type of state. My experience with NY firms has been the exact opposite.
I said this in another thread awhile ago, but NJ is looking more and more for T14's and less and less for locals. Now, maybe they want T14's with NJ ties and can get them because the class sizes are so tiny here, but I'm not sure. My source is the recent New Jersey Law Journal SA edition (they have a bunch of the listed schools and they are pretty much all T14). However, I'd say a firm like Lowenstein might be worth a bid at the bottom of your list (or even a late pick up if you feel you're struggling at OCI and they have open spots).

get it to x

Bronze

Post by get it to x » Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:00 pm

Keg, I agree and I should've been clearer. If you attend a t-14 and are from NJ there's no reason not to bid. I still believe the state ties holds in NJ, however. Local schools still do pretty well. Part of the problem with the bigger NJ firms is that they've been hunting laterals from NYC biglaw that were shed from the recession and they've responded by shrinking their incoming classes which has made it more difficult for everyone to get a job. I know for a fact that several big/mid-sized NJ still target RU and SHU grads. The judiciary has also turned over a leaf if that's any indication. The federal bench is dominated by RU and SHU grads who have replaced most of the old guard judges with your typical t-14 pedigree. The same holds, in my experience, on the state level as well. Just an observation from the ground. I'm sure there are statistics, pie charts, and other multi-colored diagrams that demonstrate t-14 superiority in NJ.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:58 am

get it to x wrote:Keg, I agree and I should've been clearer. If you attend a t-14 and are from NJ there's no reason not to bid. I still believe the state ties holds in NJ, however. Local schools still do pretty well. Part of the problem with the bigger NJ firms is that they've been hunting laterals from NYC biglaw that were shed from the recession and they've responded by shrinking their incoming classes which has made it more difficult for everyone to get a job. I know for a fact that several big/mid-sized NJ still target RU and SHU grads. The judiciary has also turned over a leaf if that's any indication. The federal bench is dominated by RU and SHU grads who have replaced most of the old guard judges with your typical t-14 pedigree. The same holds, in my experience, on the state level as well. Just an observation from the ground. I'm sure there are statistics, pie charts, and other multi-colored diagrams that demonstrate t-14 superiority in NJ.
get it to x, I'm on the ground too. My dad gets the New Jersey Law Journal, which is where I got the T14 info from (just reading the schools represented by the summer classes at law firms; a SA edition came out about a month ago and I can post the schools represented -- lots of UPenn, NYU, etc.). But that's NJ regional BigLaw that I'm talking about -- not clerkships, which are still dominated by RU/SHU grads. If you want, I can post or PM the SA classes that were in there when I get home Saturday or Sunday. This isn't about pie charts, and I'm a rising 2L at one of the NJ schools, not a T14.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

YourCaptain

Silver

Post by YourCaptain » Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:47 am

CT firms want CT ties; MA/NY/NJ is not CT.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:56 am

keg411 wrote:
get it to x wrote:Keg, I agree and I should've been clearer. If you attend a t-14 and are from NJ there's no reason not to bid. I still believe the state ties holds in NJ, however. Local schools still do pretty well. Part of the problem with the bigger NJ firms is that they've been hunting laterals from NYC biglaw that were shed from the recession and they've responded by shrinking their incoming classes which has made it more difficult for everyone to get a job. I know for a fact that several big/mid-sized NJ still target RU and SHU grads. The judiciary has also turned over a leaf if that's any indication. The federal bench is dominated by RU and SHU grads who have replaced most of the old guard judges with your typical t-14 pedigree. The same holds, in my experience, on the state level as well. Just an observation from the ground. I'm sure there are statistics, pie charts, and other multi-colored diagrams that demonstrate t-14 superiority in NJ.
get it to x, I'm on the ground too. My dad gets the New Jersey Law Journal, which is where I got the T14 info from (just reading the schools represented by the summer classes at law firms; a SA edition came out about a month ago and I can post the schools represented -- lots of UPenn, NYU, etc.). But that's NJ regional BigLaw that I'm talking about -- not clerkships, which are still dominated by RU/SHU grads. If you want, I can post or PM the SA classes that were in there when I get home Saturday or Sunday. This isn't about pie charts, and I'm a rising 2L at one of the NJ schools, not a T14.
Halp?
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 3&t=158193

get it to x

Bronze

Post by get it to x » Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:38 pm

keg411 wrote:

Keg, sorry if I came off like a snot. It wasn't my intention. In my experience with TLS, there's always a chart or stat that shows t-14 dominance over all other schools. I know there is greater opportunity and lower thresholds for these grads, but I have been shocked to say the least with the anti-establishment stance of many NJ lawyers (from leading NJ firms) that are firmly committed to hiring NJ law school grads and thumb their nose at the top-14 on the premise that some grads were in fact not up to par quality-wise with local schools. I don't have one stat to back it up other than the attorneys I have spoken to and worked with, but I get the feeling that local ties, or a legitimate desire to grow roots in NJ, are fully in play with these firms.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”