Disclose T14 JD for nonlaw jobs? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
boaltrising3l

New

Disclose T14 JD for nonlaw jobs?

Post by boaltrising3l » Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:43 pm

Given that the 3L job search is basically non-existent ITE, when applying to things like finance jobs, waitress jobs, etc is it better to leave your JD off your resume? While it creates a huge gap, I feel like inevitably employers will see you as overqualified, a law school failure, or someone who will leave as soon as they find legal work. It seems hard to explain why you don't want to do law without sounding negative or bitter, especially since that is what you want. Does anyone have experience in landing a nonlaw job, and how did you handle the burden of having a jd?

Black-Blue

Bronze

Re: Disclose T14 JD for nonlaw jobs?

Post by Black-Blue » Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:00 pm

Finance: Yes (bankers love prestige)

Waitress: No (they'll think you're a flight risk)

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:02 pm

boaltrising3l wrote:Given that the 3L job search is basically non-existent ITE, when applying to things like finance jobs, waitress jobs, etc is it better to leave your JD off your resume? While it creates a huge gap, I feel like inevitably employers will see you as overqualified, a law school failure, or someone who will leave as soon as they find legal work. It seems hard to explain why you don't want to do law without sounding negative or bitter, especially since that is what you want. Does anyone have experience in landing a nonlaw job, and how did you handle the burden of having a jd?
If you can mask the three year gaping hole in your resume, leaving it off might work. If you have a long career, using a functional resume might do the trick.

But if you can't make that gap go away, I'd just put it. Try to spin some bullshit about JD being a versatile degree, and your "analytical" training.

Why types of jobs? Get creative. Human resources -> "I want to do employment law but I decided to get a more hands on approach." Stupid shit like that.

Just do shitlaw bro.

boaltrising3l

New

Post by boaltrising3l » Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:03 pm

bro, shitlaw pays worse than car valet, waitress, or high school teacher all of which are way more interesting options to me.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:14 pm

boaltrising3l wrote:bro, shitlaw pays worse than car valet, waitress, or high school teacher all of which are way more interesting options to me.
I don't believe it earns less than valets and waitresses in the short term, and definitely not in the long term. But the high school teacher thing is a good idea. It'll get you sweet sweet IBR relief too. Definitely leave JD on that resume then. You can spin it as being able to teach "law" and civics classes. Though you have to watch out, in some places the JD might mean they have to pay you more, and that might lead to you not getting hired.

A JD also means you can teach at community college too.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:37 pm

I will add that you can teach business law classes even at state universities, in some cases. My UG had this class taught by a JD.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:22 am

Desert Fox wrote:But the high school teacher thing is a good idea. It'll get you sweet sweet IBR relief too. Definitely leave JD on that resume then. You can spin it as being able to teach "law" and civics classes. Though you have to watch out, in some places the JD might mean they have to pay you more, and that might lead to you not getting hired.

If there is one job where I live that is more oversaturated then law, it's teaching. I actually know more unemployed teachers than TT/TTT law grads :( (and it's sad, because teachers are way more necessary than TT/TTT law grads). But I'm not in CA, so maybe OP has a better chance of making that type of job work.

cornellbeez

Bronze

Post by cornellbeez » Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:44 am

Do you have prior work experience? If not, I'd probably disclose for office jobs.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:13 pm

I have a T14 JD and will start my first "real" post-JD, salaried, professional job in about a month. The job is non-legal and the JD helped me get it.

Many of my classmates are still unemployed, working for free, or doing retail/restaurant type work.

This is over 1 year after I graduated. Post-grad, I mostly applied to non-legal jobs and hardly got any interviews at all out of a ton of applications. When everyone says most employers will reject you because they think you're overqualified, they're right. If your school offers some kind of program for unemployed grads where you get to work for a non-profit for free under a small university paid stipend, make sure you do something non-legal with that if you are serious about a non-legal job after graduation. Any legal or quasi-legal position will only hurt you.

Oh, and my last job only paid a little more than minimum wage. The only reason I got that job was out of pure luck, simply being at the right place at the right time. I actually thought about leaving the JD off, but put it on anyway for that job application.

Tip: put the name of your university, don't put "law" or "law school" anywhere on your resume you don't have to. You can also leave out some of your legal internships for low-wage type jobs. Anything that involved customer service is worth leaving on the resume.

Lastly, if you are a male, don't waste time applying to low-level office jobs that are traditionally given to females. Odds are you won't be taken seriously as a candidate anyway.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

robotclubmember

Silver

Post by robotclubmember » Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:59 am

boaltrising3l wrote:bro, shitlaw pays worse than car valet, waitress, or high school teacher all of which are way more interesting options to me.
dude i thought you were offered a finance job at 70k? from your other thread re: dropping out? why do you want to be a waitress now?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:37 am

It is not just legal jobs, there are no jobs at all. I have been on wall st for over 17 years and and my business closed 3 years ago and have been unable to get a job. Unfortunatley I owned my own business and was unable to apply or recieve unemployment benefits. I have sent out over 1500 resumes, and have recieved 3 interviews. I recently spoken with a head hunter who informed me that with the online application process the HR computer programs screen resumes for key words first, filtering into 2 catagories, correct criteria or incorrect criteria. Then they take the correct criteria resumes and may choose only the resumes recieved on mon, tues, wed to go through. This is being done because there are so many applicants with great credentials but the HR staff can't go throught all the applicants. IE I recently applied for a job, made it to the interview process and was informed there were 300 applicants for 1 position, and it was a back office posisiton in compliance.

Yeah the recession is over, MY ASS.

Its not only law its everyfield except nursing.

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:46 am

keg411 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:But the high school teacher thing is a good idea. It'll get you sweet sweet IBR relief too. Definitely leave JD on that resume then. You can spin it as being able to teach "law" and civics classes. Though you have to watch out, in some places the JD might mean they have to pay you more, and that might lead to you not getting hired.

If there is one job where I live that is more oversaturated then law, it's teaching. I actually know more unemployed teachers than TT/TTT law grads :( (and it's sad, because teachers are way more necessary than TT/TTT law grads). But I'm not in CA, so maybe OP has a better chance of making that type of job work.
Forgive me for posting in this forum as a 0L, but what if you have previous teaching experience? Would I have a decent chance of returning to this field if law doesn't work out?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:12 am

Teaching high school, or community college is not as easy as some people might think. Check your state's requirements for teaching in public schools. A lot of states have very stringent requirements for teachers. I.e. you need a bachelor's degree in a "teachable" major, so many hours of education courses and/or a post-bach teaching certificate. Don't bank on the private schools either because most of them will hold you to the same standards as the public schools even if they're not required to by the state regs.

The community colleges aren't vying for unemployed JDs either. Unless you live in a really podunk area, chances are they can easily fill teaching slots with Ph.Ds given the realities of the Ph.D job market. Some CCs will flat out require a Ph.D, even for a part-time lecturer slot. Also, the pay for part-time lecturers is very, very low. You'll be paid by the credit hours you teach and won't make enough to get by without a second job.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

legalwriting

New

Post by legalwriting » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:57 pm

I thought I would shed some light on teaching at the college level. I graduated with my JD in 2002 and worked as an attorney from 2002-2008 for a large corporation. I started teaching at a local college in 2005 as an adjunct instructor in a paralegal program. In 2008, I accepted a full-time teaching position. I also teach business law and media law for the business program. I make about $60k per year with benefits in a nice college town where cost of living is low. I also make another $30k per year as an adjunct at another school for a combined income of $90k per year. Teaching at the college level is an option but you need to have at least 3-5 years of experience. Some univerisities also hire pre-law advisors that require a JD and at least a few years of experience as a lawyer. Teaching at the law school level is more competitive and law school prefer graduates from more elite law schools but if you went to a lower ranked school and have good experience in the legal field, you can make a good living and the work/life balance is great. Getting the first job as an adjunct instructor is the hardest. Once you have teaching experience and good evaluations, more opportunities open up. It doesn't hurt if you have published scholarly articles either. I am also a member of the Academy of Legal Studies in Business and they routinely have job listings for business law professors. Paralegal programs require only a JD and experience. Business law programs usually only require a JD but having a PhD can help.

Stringer Bell

Gold

Post by Stringer Bell » Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:05 pm

robotclubmember wrote:
dude i thought you were offered a finance job at 70k? from your other thread re: dropping out? why do you want to be a waitress now?
Seriously

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”