Am I totally out of the clerkship hunt? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Am I totally out of the clerkship hunt?

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:04 pm

A little over 3.6 at NW and I am a rising 2L. I'm assuming that's probably a bit past the top 25% after 1L but at least top third. Obviously COA is out, but what about the less selective district.

Is it worth taking clerkship gunner classes. I did better second semester, but I think even with gunning I'd be no better than 3.7 by the time "the plan" hiring happens.

I won't be too upset if I can't, I'm mostly curious, and want to plan out classes. I don't want to take ConCrim Pro and fed jur unless I have a shot.

thesealocust

Platinum

Re: Am I totally out of the clerkship hunt?

Post by thesealocust » Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:24 pm

Of course you're not. A lot (maybe even most by now) of people get clerkships after a year or two of practice. You only have 1/3 of your law school grades - and they're strong. And you're at a strong school. What would make you think you're out?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:30 pm

thesealocust wrote:Of course you're not. A lot (maybe even most by now) of people get clerkships after a year or two of practice. You only have 1/3 of your law school grades - and they're strong. And you're at a strong school. What would make you think you're out?
I heard past top 20% was pretty much a sub 10% chance of snagging one.

I hadn't thought about clerking post practice. Thanks.

merc280

Silver

Post by merc280 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
thesealocust wrote:Of course you're not. A lot (maybe even most by now) of people get clerkships after a year or two of practice. You only have 1/3 of your law school grades - and they're strong. And you're at a strong school. What would make you think you're out?

Are people who go to T3 and T4's totally out when it comes to clerkships?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:33 pm

People with 3.0s and law review at my T10 get clerkships... but not prestigious ones...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:36 pm

merc280 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Are people who go to T3 and T4's totally out when it comes to clerkships?
No. Clerkship hiring is very idiosyncratic - every judge is an island. It's probably rare from your schools, but especially outside of the popular federal circuits there's undoubtedly some judges who hire some students from almost all T3/T4 schools. You probably have to do quite well at law school, but they're not the exclusive province of the top schools.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:21 pm

NU 2010 grad here. People my year with comparable grades (between 3.6 and 3.8 ) had mixed experiences depending on journal, interview skill, recommendations, and other factors. Some didn't get anything. Some received district court clerkships, mostly in less popular areas. These clerkships included D.N.J., N.D. Ill., S.D. Tex., W.D. Tex., S.D. Fla., and D.N.M. A few also ended up with state supreme court clerkships or federal court of appeals staff attorney positions. People who waited a year or two, for instance by applying during 3L year or after graduation, tended to have slightly better options.

If you work hard on faculty relationships, your writing sample, and other key clerkship application ingredients, you should be in reasonable shape regardless of what H.S. in the CCSA tells you. You might take a few clerkship gunner classes as a part of this process, but don't overdo it.

GatorStudent

Bronze

Post by GatorStudent » Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:39 pm

merc280 wrote: Are people who go to T3 and T4's totally out when it comes to clerkships?
I can only speak about FL clerkships, but it's hard to land a federal clerkship in FL from a T3 or T4, although it's not impossible. FWIW, even UF graduates with great grades can struggle to land one, especially in this economy. Also, many federal judges here only accept clerks who have previous work experience. However, T3 and T4 students here have a much better chance nabbing state court clerkships.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:NU 2010 grad here. People my year with comparable grades (between 3.6 and 3.8 ) had mixed experiences depending on journal, interview skill, recommendations, and other factors. Some didn't get anything. Some received district court clerkships, mostly in less popular areas. These clerkships included D.N.J., N.D. Ill., S.D. Tex., W.D. Tex., S.D. Fla., and D.N.M. A few also ended up with state supreme court clerkships or federal court of appeals staff attorney positions. People who waited a year or two, for instance by applying during 3L year or after graduation, tended to have slightly better options.

If you work hard on faculty relationships, your writing sample, and other key clerkship application ingredients, you should be in reasonable shape regardless of what H.S. in the CCSA tells you. You might take a few clerkship gunner classes as a part of this process, but don't overdo it.
Are there any clerkship gunners classes I absolutely need to take?

Moxie

Silver

Post by Moxie » Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:43 pm

Fed Courts.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”