Applying to the same firm, but different offices Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Applying to the same firm, but different offices

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:06 am

I was granted an interview with office A through one of the minority job fairs, but another office of the same firm is coming to OCI. Would it look bad applying to both? Since the recruiting contact for both offices is the same person, I'd assume they'd be able to figure out the double application right away.

flcath

Silver

Re: Applying to the same firm, but different offices

Post by flcath » Sun Jul 03, 2011 3:20 am

There was some talk about using this as a strategy at Loyola PLIP (a job fair for IP kids), and if I recall everyone thought it was a bomb-diggity idea if the offices were in the same geographic region, and a less-than-great idea if they were in different regions.

This conclusion was the product of the same 1L-esque logic (i.e., speculation) that you can do just fine on your own, so feel free to ignore it entirely.

gwuorbust

Gold

Post by gwuorbust » Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:56 am

flcath wrote:There was some talk about using this as a strategy at Loyola PLIP (a job fair for IP kids), and if I recall everyone thought it was a bomb-diggity idea if the offices were in the same geographic region, and a less-than-great idea if they were in different regions.

This conclusion was the product of the same 1L-esque logic (i.e., speculation) that you can do just fine on your own, so feel free to ignore it entirely.
lol wut ?

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Sun Jul 03, 2011 3:06 pm

You're right that they'll figure it out, so rather than do something to annoy them, just call the recruiter and ask. If they will consider you for more than one office, they'll let you know.

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Sun Jul 03, 2011 4:04 pm

I wouldn't do it if you'll be in contact with the same person. I know that some firms (e.g. Skadden) seem to operate their recruiting for different offices fairly independently--interviewing for both the NY and DC offices could result in callbacks at one or even both of the locations. But other firms won't look highly on it. I'd assume it's less likely to matter if the offices are both in primary markets.

flcath

Silver

Post by flcath » Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:05 pm

gwuorbust wrote:
flcath wrote:There was some talk about using this as a strategy at Loyola PLIP (a job fair for IP kids), and if I recall everyone thought it was a bomb-diggity idea if the offices were in the same geographic region, and a less-than-great idea if they were in different regions.

lol wut ?
Seems pretty clear to me.

For instance, I bid Alston & Bird in Atlanta, Charlotte, Greensboro. (I actually don't think the last one was Greensboro, but you catch the southern theme.)

The thinking was that it evinced a strong interest in both a geographic region AND the firm in particular.

Counterpoint: I did not get an interview at A&B.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”