0L Work Advice -BigLaw Paralegal Job? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
NoleinNY

Silver

0L Work Advice -BigLaw Paralegal Job?

Post by NoleinNY » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:32 am

I am asking on behalf of a 0L friend who wants to work in a big firm as a legal assistant or paralegal before going to law school to make some scratch and get an idea if he likes the feel of it. He lives in a secondary market and he wouldn't be looking to work there after law school. What's the best way for him to approach the firms in his area?

NoleinNY

Silver

Re: 0L Work Advice -BigLaw Paralegal Job?

Post by NoleinNY » Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:19 pm

BUMP...

Anyone?

Shammis

Bronze

Post by Shammis » Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:46 pm

people still refer to it as scratch? And I would imagine it depends on the market, but I really dont think hiring is way up on entry level paralegals/assistants. This is coming from what I've heard from the LA scene. Does your friend have experience? what makes him think he can nab a job most people with experience would die for right now? Not being antagonistic at all, just wondering. If he has an offer, thats great, but it sounds like he hasnt even started looking...in which case tell him good luck(?). With no connections in biglaw, finding one of these positions is going to be extremely difficult. Mass mail and hope is the only thing that comes to mind.

Moxie

Silver

Post by Moxie » Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:54 pm

NoleinNY wrote:I am asking on behalf of a 0L friend who wants to work in a big firm as a legal assistant or paralegal before going to law school to make some scratch and get an idea if he likes the feel of it. He lives in a secondary market and he wouldn't be looking to work there after law school. What's the best way for him to approach the firms in his area?
Most firms list open positions on their website, but for those that don't, have your friend send a cover letter and resume to the firm's staff recruiting contact. Send out to as many applicable firms as possible, and follow up with the recruiting contacts.

Lwoods

Silver

Post by Lwoods » Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:54 pm

jstubbs wrote:people still refer to it as scratch? And I would imagine it depends on the market, but I really dont think hiring is way up on entry level paralegals/assistants. This is coming from what I've heard from the LA scene. Does your friend have experience? what makes him think he can nab a job most people with experience would die for right now? Not being antagonistic at all, just wondering. If he has an offer, thats great, but it sounds like he hasnt even started looking...in which case tell him good luck(?). With no connections in biglaw, finding one of these positions is going to be extremely difficult. Mass mail and hope is the only thing that comes to mind.
Maybe...I'm not sure how other firms are set up, but at my former firm (NY BigLaw), there were two types of paralegals: career paralegals and entry level paralegals. Most of the entry level work for 2-3 years before going to law school and tend to come straight from undergrad. I'm not sure what type of experience they typically have because I started as a legal secretary, which, to me, was preferable to being an entry level paralegal.

I'd suggest he identify all of the BigLaw firms in his market and check their online listings. Is he a rising senior or did he just graduate? If he's a rising senior, he should attend any networking events his school's pre-law club throws and also work closely with his career services office.

I got my first job at the law firm because one of my sorority sisters worked there. She got the job through career services.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

NoleinNY

Silver

Post by NoleinNY » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:28 pm

jstubbs wrote:people still refer to it as scratch? And I would imagine it depends on the market, but I really dont think hiring is way up on entry level paralegals/assistants. This is coming from what I've heard from the LA scene. Does your friend have experience? what makes him think he can nab a job most people with experience would die for right now? Not being antagonistic at all, just wondering. If he has an offer, thats great, but it sounds like he hasnt even started looking...in which case tell him good luck(?). With no connections in biglaw, finding one of these positions is going to be extremely difficult. Mass mail and hope is the only thing that comes to mind.
My friend has office experience, but none in a law firm setting. He graduated college last year. He's looking at all sorts of firms, not just big ones; but if he could get one with a name behind it, he'd prefer that. He doesn't plan on sticking in that city for law school and beyond. Thanks for the insight.
Moxie wrote:
NoleinNY wrote:I am asking on behalf of a 0L friend who wants to work in a big firm as a legal assistant or paralegal before going to law school to make some scratch and get an idea if he likes the feel of it. He lives in a secondary market and he wouldn't be looking to work there after law school. What's the best way for him to approach the firms in his area?
Most firms list open positions on their website, but for those that don't, have your friend send a cover letter and resume to the firm's staff recruiting contact. Send out to as many applicable firms as possible, and follow up with the recruiting contacts.
Thanks.
Lwoods wrote:
Maybe...I'm not sure how other firms are set up, but at my former firm (NY BigLaw), there were two types of paralegals: career paralegals and entry level paralegals. Most of the entry level work for 2-3 years before going to law school and tend to come straight from undergrad. I'm not sure what type of experience they typically have because I started as a legal secretary, which, to me, was preferable to being an entry level paralegal.

I'd suggest he identify all of the BigLaw firms in his market and check their online listings. Is he a rising senior or did he just graduate? If he's a rising senior, he should attend any networking events his school's pre-law club throws and also work closely with his career services office.

I got my first job at the law firm because one of my sorority sisters worked there. She got the job through career services.

Thanks for the response. He was a 2010 undergraduate, so that's a bit late. Think he should look for people in the firm who went to his UG alma mater?

Lwoods

Silver

Post by Lwoods » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:45 pm

NoleinNY wrote:
Lwoods wrote:

Thanks for the response. He was a 2010 undergraduate, so that's a bit late. Think he should look for people in the firm who went to his UG alma mater?
Not sure that will help as much at this point because those connections will seem more superficial. He should definitely check online for listings, and also connect with a legal staffing agency in his area.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”