Top 6% at Fordham. Where to bid? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Top 6% at Fordham. Where to bid?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:39 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:If Cardozo doesn't place any better than midwest T25s in NYC, why would anyone ever go there?
Eh, I'm in the top 3-4% range at a school in the 30s and am having one helluva time trying to just get interviews in NYC. I'm even going there on my own dime right before OCI season kicks off and there are still very, very few takers.

I guess I'm saying 'Dozo isn't exactly underperforming its rank if the top 10%+ still gets biglaw ITE.

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:43 pm

Aston2412 wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote:If Cardozo doesn't place any better than midwest T25s in NYC, why would anyone ever go there?
They wanted to do law school in NYC maybe?
What good is going to law school in NYC? It's getting a job that matters.

Anonymous User wrote:
Eh, I'm in the top 3-4% range at a school in the 30s and am having one helluva time trying to just get interviews in NYC. I'm even going there on my own dime right before OCI season kicks off and there are still very, very few takers.

I guess I'm saying 'Dozo isn't exactly underperforming its rank if the top 10%+ still gets biglaw ITE.
I don't think 10% of Cardozo students get Biglaw. Maybe this year with a lot more SAs in NYC, but still probably not. What school are you at? That's really surprising, though it's early still.

Aston2412

Bronze

Post by Aston2412 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:49 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:
Aston2412 wrote:
They wanted to do law school in NYC maybe?
What good is going to law school in NYC? It's getting a job that matters.
On my value scale and yours maybe. Not necessarily on the Cardozo student's. BigLaw at least.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:05 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:
I don't think 10% of Cardozo students get Biglaw. Maybe this year with a lot more SAs in NYC, but still probably not. What school are you at? That's really surprising, though it's early still.
>5% of Cardozo Class of 2012 are summering at V100 firms right now. About 2/3 of them are Law Review. There are a few more that are in other non V100 Big(ish)Law firms as well -- and the class sizes are picking up a bit this year. I'd say around 8-10% is about right for an estimate of the Class of 2013 that will land V100 this year. I think this makes them VERY competitive with 25-35 ranked schools (other than Fordham)

[edit: corrected typo]

Also, I am a current Class of 2013 member. To the poster below -- I am here on a full ride (and am top 1% (possibly #1, depending on whether there are students over 4.0, of which there are none that I am aware)) -- I think I made a good choice coming here instead of going to any other 25-35 school other than Fordham. I further think that (given my results) it will turn out to have been a winning decision not to go to Fordham and having debt. That said, I don't think it's generally a wise decision to take Cardozo on a full scholarship over Fordham (even at sticker) if you realistically want BigLaw
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

IrwinM.Fletcher

Silver

Post by IrwinM.Fletcher » Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:11 pm

Keep in mind that only ~10% from W&L, Minnesota, Iowa et al. placed into NLJ250 firms for c/o 2010.

Cardozo's still prohibitively expensive, but at least it hasn't completely imploded a la BLS and the other NYC schools. BLS is really such a tragedy- their kids score higher on the LSAT than places like Iowa, yet getting a decent job outta that shithole is like winning the powerball.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:21 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I don't wanna say the school, but it's in 30s and not ASU or Wisconsin. We have SOME alumni presence in the city, just nothing huge.

I've been pretty surprised with the lack of success too. I have good (significantly better than admin/para) work experience before law school and really expected that and top grades to get my foot in the door at a lot V20-100 firms. This was apparently a miscalculation when I was deciding between transferring and sticking around back in May/June. C'est la vie I suppose.

Oban

Silver

Post by Oban » Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:34 pm

IrwinM.Fletcher wrote:Keep in mind that only ~10% from W&L, Minnesota, Iowa et al. placed into NLJ250 firms for c/o 2010.

Cardozo's still prohibitively expensive, but at least it hasn't completely imploded a la BLS and the other NYC schools. BLS is really such a tragedy- their kids score higher on the LSAT than places like Iowa, yet getting a decent job outta that shithole is like winning the powerball.
what is the morale like at schools like BLS? it isn't exactly great here at woostl. I'd imagin deans and career staff come and leave through secure back doors.

DrGuano

Bronze

Post by DrGuano » Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:20 pm

What happened at BLS? I was never considering them once I got into Fordham, but never heard anything about them "imploding."

DrGuano

Bronze

Post by DrGuano » Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Top 5% is a 3.69, right?
DrGuano wrote:How do you know you're top 6%? We just get top 10 percent cutoff at Fordham. Is there a way to figure out what percentage you are?

Also, since you're anonymous, would you mind sharing your GPA so I could base my rank off of it? I'm not quite sure how far into the Top 10 I am.
Where'd you get that info? Maybe if you use the Rank Calculator on TLS, but who knows how close that actually is. Fordham doesn't put out any official GPA cutoff designations beyond Top 10%

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:49 pm

DrGuano wrote:How do you know you're top 6%? We just get top 10 percent cutoff at Fordham. Is there a way to figure out what percentage you are?

Also, since you're anonymous, would you mind sharing your GPA so I could base my rank off of it? I'm not quite sure how far into the Top 10 I am.
OP here. definitely not official, but only an approximation through calculation.
Sorry, I'd rather not reveal my GPA even though I am anonymous just in case.

dissonance1848

Silver

Post by dissonance1848 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:56 pm

It would be great if the annon who is top 1% or higher at Cardozo would write an annon post on how to do well in law school. Thanks!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:42 pm

if it helps, i have just slightly north of a 3.7 and was designated as a wilkinson scholar - this is apparently the top 15 people in the class which breaks down to like top 3ish % - beyond that, dont think theres any way to figure out a more precise % other than guessing

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:05 pm

dissonance1848 wrote:It would be great if the annon who is top 1% or higher at Cardozo would write an annon post on how to do well in law school. Thanks!
That was me and there's no one way to do it. I don't think there's a magic bullet, and I've done some combination of things that all the guides one here advocate (and there doesn't need to be another guide, imo). I read a lot (but not supplements/hornbooks/the assigned material), but don't spend all of my time working on law school (i guess 40-50 hours a week, including class).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

OnceUponAMemo

Bronze

Post by OnceUponAMemo » Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

if it helps, i have just slightly north of a 3.7 and was designated as a wilkinson scholar - this is apparently the top 15 people in the class which breaks down to like top 3ish % - beyond that, dont think theres any way to figure out a more precise % other than guessing
Are we sure about this top 15 students designation for the Wilkinson? I've heard varying reports anywhere from 15 to 25. I guess there is a luncheon or reception soon so people will figure it out.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:19 am

OnceUponAMemo wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Are we sure about this top 15 students designation for the Wilkinson? I've heard varying reports anywhere from 15 to 25. I guess there is a luncheon or reception soon so people will figure it out.
not 100% sure, and fordham's website is unclear, but if you google it top 15 is what comes up in a couple of places. im sure its possible that they widened the wilkinson cutoff from 15 to 25 but i have no idea - havent seen my actual award letter yet due to geographic reasons so i dont know if it clarifies this.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:29 am

Anonymous User wrote:
OnceUponAMemo wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

not 100% sure, and fordham's website is unclear, but if you google it top 15 is what comes up in a couple of places. im sure its possible that they widened the wilkinson cutoff from 15 to 25 but i have no idea - havent seen my actual award letter yet due to geographic reasons so i dont know if it clarifies this.
how did you find out? email?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:21 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
how did you find out? email?
yes cpc sent out an acknowledgment with info about how it should be listed on your resume, and it came up in the financial aid awards tab a few days later

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:02 am

OP here. I graded onto law review (top 28 students). Does this change anything? Increased chances or minimal effect?

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:12 am

Anonymous User wrote:
OnceUponAMemo wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

It was 15 last year, unless it's been changed. To the OP, congratulations on your great grades! To those speculating about how many '12 people made biglaw, there is no way to know. Fordham has not released the numbers. I have reason to think 20% is a low estimate, only because a fair number of people got firm jobs outside OCI. Some were working as patent agents PT and simply continued on at their firms. On my (non-LR) journal, quite a few people received offers. My guess is closer to the 25-30% range, though "biglaw" is a vague construct and some of these people may be working at mid sized NJ firms that were still large enough to hire through our OCI.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here. I graded onto law review (top 28 students). Does this change anything? Increased chances or minimal effect?
bump

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:37 am

Man, wth. I have >3.8 gpa at Fordham and I haven't gotten any awards. Blegh. Maybe because I'm not on financial aid?

Anyway, I just built my bid list by starting at #2 on the Vault rankings (since Wachtell doesn't visit) and working my way backwards to #36. Oh, and I screened out any firms that require cover letters since I find them to be a little pretentious. We'll see if I get any bites!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:42 am

Anonymous User wrote:Man, wth. I have >3.8 gpa at Fordham and I haven't gotten any awards. Blegh. Maybe because I'm not on financial aid?

Anyway, I just built my bid list by starting at #2 on the Vault rankings (since Wachtell doesn't visit) and working my way backwards to #36. Oh, and I screened out any firms that require cover letters since I find them to be a little pretentious. We'll see if I get any bites!
you didnt get wilkinson scholar?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:47 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Man, wth. I have >3.8 gpa at Fordham and I haven't gotten any awards. Blegh. Maybe because I'm not on financial aid?

you didnt get wilkinson scholar?
I think its because I'm an evening-to-day transfer, maybe I didn't have enough credits yet or something.

Eco

Bronze

Post by Eco » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:52 am

Seriously anyone telling this guy that he doesn't have a 95% chance of getting a big law job has something wrong with their heads. The 5% being the off-chance that he is a horrible interviewer and they hate his guts when they see him. Top 6% at Fordham get big law, period.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:11 pm

Eco wrote:Seriously anyone telling this guy that he doesn't have a 95% chance of getting a big law job has something wrong with their heads. The 5% being the off-chance that he is a horrible interviewer and they hate his guts when they see him. Top 6% at Fordham get big law, period.
I know plenty of people in the top 5-10% at plenty of schools better than Fordham who almost struck out. OCI gives you all the rope you need in the world to hang yourself, there are no guarantees.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”