Biglaw..median grades..solid extracurricularsADVICE PLEASE! Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Biglaw..median grades..solid extracurricularsADVICE PLEASE!

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:11 pm

GULC-3.26 GPA/law fellow/moot court...

I am super pissed about the GPA...the class I thought I did best in I did worst in and the class I thought I did worst in I did best in...grades range from A-B.

With law fellow and moot court and hopefully a journal (dont know yet) is big law a possibility?

If so please list biglaw firms that arent so focused on grades but more on personality/extracurriculars etc...

MrAnon

Gold

Re: Biglaw..median grades..solid extracurricularsADVICE PLEASE!

Post by MrAnon » Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:21 pm

This is like applying to law schools hoping that your extracurriculars will get you in and that the schools will overlook GPA. They won't. No biglaw firm does this. Median from GULC is a low possibility of biglaw.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:32 pm

MrAnon wrote:This is like applying to law schools hoping that your extracurriculars will get you in and that the schools will overlook GPA. They won't. No biglaw firm does this. Median from GULC is a low possibility of biglaw.
This.

Biglaw associates are marketing pieces. Firms want prestigious schools, law review, federal clerkships, and greek honors. If you don't have at least two of these, your attorney bio isn't gonna look terribly impressive to clients.

It's a buyer's market. If you were a hiring partner, why wouldn't you hire someone with solid extras and great grades over someone with solid extras and poor grades?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
MrAnon wrote:This is like applying to law schools hoping that your extracurriculars will get you in and that the schools will overlook GPA. They won't. No biglaw firm does this. Median from GULC is a low possibility of biglaw.
This.

Biglaw associates are marketing pieces. Firms want prestigious schools, law review, federal clerkships, and greek honors. If you don't have at least two of these, your attorney bio isn't gonna look terribly impressive to clients.

It's a buyer's market. If you were a hiring partner, why wouldn't you hire someone with solid extras and great grades over someone with solid extras and poor grades?
Can you clarify what you are saying? If I have prestigious school...am working for a federal judge this summer...law review...and moot court..you honestly think biglaw is out of the realm of possibility!??? Grrr I wish someone would have told me this BEFORE all those loans!

Aston2412

Bronze

Post by Aston2412 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:50 pm

I think it depends on what school you're at. Law review is a big boost. Moot court too. If you're at T14 you're going to be fine. It won't be easy necessarily, but you'll have a job.

Off the top of my head, hogan lovells and Linklaters are both less focused on grades and more focused on the overall picture.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:52 pm

Aston2412 wrote:I think it depends on what school you're at. Law review is a big boost. Moot court too. If you're at T14 you're going to be fine. It won't be easy necessarily, but you'll have a job.
OP here...I am at GULC

Interning for a federal judge right now...

Can you tell me some firms!?

Cade McNown

Silver

Post by Cade McNown » Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
This.

:shock: Why Greek Honors?

timbs4339

Gold

Post by timbs4339 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:GULC-3.26 GPA/law fellow/moot court...

I am super pissed about the GPA...the class I thought I did best in I did worst in and the class I thought I did worst in I did best in...grades range from A-B.

With law fellow and moot court and hopefully a journal (dont know yet) is big law a possibility?

If so please list biglaw firms that arent so focused on grades but more on personality/extracurriculars etc...
Law review is a boost, although it depends on the firm. Moot court, secondary journal, etc will not get you callbacks at firms where your grades are below the cutoff.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:01 pm

How does one find out cutoffs?

I get that i shouldnt bid on Cravath...but what about firms such as Jones Day...anyone know cutoffs?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Aston2412

Bronze

Post by Aston2412 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:06 pm

Cade McNown wrote:
Because Latin Honors are for pansies!

PeanutHead

New

Post by PeanutHead » Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote: How does one find out cutoffs?
Have you talked with OCS at all? They have a bunch of resources including the median hiring GPA for 75% of the firms coming to OCI.

You will have some but not many options. Also everyone with median/below median grades will be competing for those firms. If you weren't ANON, then I would send you the link.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:11 pm

Thanks Peanuthead...I have the link to the GULC big law stats; however, these stats seem out of touch as they include pre economic downturn data...

When you say I will have some options...can you list some firms?!

Cade McNown

Silver

Post by Cade McNown » Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:11 pm

Aston2412 wrote:
Cade McNown wrote:
Because Latin Honors are for pansies!
lulz. I suppose Greek Honors did work for Elle Woods.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Aston2412

Bronze

Post by Aston2412 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Have you done any research at all? You can find a lot of this information by reviewing various TLS threads and checking out Vault or Career Center by Lateral Link. And none of it is likely to be guaranteed. You're only going to be able to find a rough approximation of where firms cut off at. I'll re-mention Hogan and Linklaters bc I guess you just overlooked it earlier.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:21 pm

Gosh so passive aggressive!

I did not overlook linklaters and Hogan and I thank you for opinion.

I have been through all the "normal" avenues IE Career services/vault/NALP etc

I just want some unbiased candor which I assume only someone who has been through the process can give me...hence my desire for specific firm names! (preferably from someone who can say.."Oh I was median at GULC or any other equivalent school and this is what I did..."

PeanutHead

New

Post by PeanutHead » Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:these stats seem out of touch as they include pre economic downturn data...

They include data going back to 1998. So yes they are distorted, but will give an idea of which firms are less exclusive. After you get a list of those, I would bid especially on any in your home market or any market that you can act like you have ties to. After that I would focus solely on NYC. You will get way more screening interviews from NYC (around 15+) rather than DC (likely less than 10).

Do you have any particular specific interest? If not, I would come up with one so that you can aggressively target those firms.

This process should take many hours of work, which is likely why you are getting some pissy comments. You are in a tough spot for sure, but if you bust your ass with the prep work you at least have a chance. Good luck!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:34 pm

PeanutHead wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:these stats seem out of touch as they include pre economic downturn data...

They include data going back to 1998. So yes they are distorted, but will give an idea of which firms are less exclusive. After you get a list of those, I would bid especially on any in your home market or any market that you can act like you have ties to. After that I would focus solely on NYC. You will get way more screening interviews from NYC (around 15+) rather than DC (likely less than 10).

Do you have any particular specific interest? If not, I would come up with one so that you can aggressively target those firms.

This process should take many hours of work, which is likely why you are getting some pissy comments. You are in a tough spot for sure, but if you bust your ass with the prep work you at least have a chance. Good luck!
So I was going to focus solely on NYC but u think I should do home market as well to increase chances? Good idea.

My specific interest is litigation..which makes my current federal internship make sense...is that what you mean please elaborate...re aggressively target "those" firms

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

PeanutHead

New

Post by PeanutHead » Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:39 pm

I would focus on your home market as well unless it is DC or LA.

Focus on firms that have massive litigation departments/ are lit focused. You will be able to tell which are lit focused by going through NALP.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:41 pm

Gotcha thx peanuthead!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:13 pm

Anyone have an idea what the 1L median was this past year @ GULC? If I'm between a 3.35 and 3.4 (thus under top 33% by less than 0.1) do I still have a shot at NYC-biglaw (thinking lower Vault ranks obvs)? Right now I'm thinking Lady Luck will have to be my +1 throughout OCI...

wiseowl

Silver

Post by wiseowl » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:10 pm

You probably know this already, but "interning right now with a federal judge" =/= clerking with a federal judge.

You need to bid heavily on NYC. Do not bother wasting bids on any DC firms unless you literally know a partner there on a first-name basis.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”