OCI firms not recruiting for desired office Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

OCI firms not recruiting for desired office

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:55 am

If an OCI firm is recruiting, but you want to work for one of their offices that they aren't recruiting at your school for, what can you do? Can you still state that preference at the interview? Should you contact the other office independently?

kaiser

Gold

Re: OCI firms not recruiting for desired office

Post by kaiser » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:58 am

My school said you should contact the office you are interested in. The firms coming to OCI are usually very clear about which offices they are representing. If the office you like isn't represented, I'd apply separately. You could always get in touch with the firm's recruiting contact to make sure what the procedure is. Not sure why your post is anonymous btw.

Aston2412

Bronze

Post by Aston2412 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:59 am

I would only state it at the interview if they ask you if you have a preference for another office OR if you really don't want to work for that firm in that city and wouldn't be upset if you didn't get it because you expressed a preference for another office.

I'd say direct write is the way to go, but I'm just guessing.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:00 am

kaiser wrote:My school said you should contact the office you are interested in. The firms coming to OCI are usually very clear about which offices they are representing. If the office you like isn't represented, I'd apply separately. You could always get in touch with the firm's recruiting contact to make sure what the procedure is. Not sure why your post is anonymous btw.
Because I am a ninja.

Usually firms have different recruiting contacts for each office, so I assume you mean contact the one that you actually want.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:01 am

Aston2412 wrote:I would only state it at the interview if they ask you if you have a preference for another office OR if you really don't want to work for that firm in that city and wouldn't be upset if you didn't get it because you expressed a preference for another office.

Would it make sense to do an OCI interview AND direct write? What if you get interviews for two different offices that way? I assume you could get them to reconcile it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:04 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Aston2412 wrote:I would only state it at the interview if they ask you if you have a preference for another office OR if you really don't want to work for that firm in that city and wouldn't be upset if you didn't get it because you expressed a preference for another office.

Would it make sense to do an OCI interview AND direct write? What if you get interviews for two different offices that way? I assume you could get them to reconcile it.
Thats the idea. The offices are essentially different entities in your eyes. You just don't want to say you are completely committed to one geographic area in one interview, and contradict yourself in another, since there is a good chance the offices may get in contact at some point. You have to walk a fine line with regard to that.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:06 am

kaiser wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Thats the idea. The offices are essentially different entities in your eyes. You just don't want to say you are completely committed to one geographic area in one interview, and contradict yourself in another, since there is a good chance the offices may get in contact at some point. You have to walk a fine line with regard to that.
Most firms that have offices in my desired market also have one in my 2nd choice, and most firms at my school's OCI are recruiting for my 2nd choice and not my desired market. So I guess I could express a preference at the interview in working for the desired market and telling them that I applied to that office independently, but I am also interested in working at the office they are recruiting for?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”