Most Retarded Thing a Summer Clerk Has Ever Done? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Most Retarded Thing a Summer Clerk Has Ever Done?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:05 pm

I just posted this remark in the legal recruiter thread, but because it also fits here, so here goes:

So (I'm a 2L SA btw) first thing this morning I was supposed to be meeting with a partner to meet a client in one conference room, but went into the wrong conference room, where there was a sizeable meeting going on (think partners, several upcoming associates, food, and the firm's legal recruiters). Heck, it could have even been about us summers. I just opened the door, said something like "oops I don't think I'm in the right place," apologized, and left. I ordinarily would just forget about it, but a more senior associate (one that's usually cool) made some sarcastic remark coupled with a sarcastic laugh that just made me feel like a douche.

Someone tell me that this has happened to them and they still got an offer?! Should I apologize to anyone, like the recruiters?

seatown12

Silver

Post by seatown12 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:16 pm

You'll be lucky if they even let you finish the summer after that kind of egregious misconduct.

skw

Bronze

Post by skw » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:24 pm

You must calm down and take a step back. You made a mistake. That happens. No one died. Revenue was not impacted. You should forget it. Speaking as someone who has worked in the corporate world for 12 years (I'll be a 1L this fall), I promise you that this is not going to impact whether you are offered. They will base that on your substantive performance and fit with the firm (eg your personality). Relax and enjoy the rest of your SA experience. Just because one asshole saw fit to comment on your mistake does not mean it matters to the decision makers.

TheFutureLawyer

Gold

Post by TheFutureLawyer » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:41 pm

seatown12 wrote:You'll be lucky if they even let you finish the summer after that kind of egregious misconduct.
If I was running things there I'd make sure he wouldn't get a job with anyone in the city. Who does this SA think he is? Entering the wrong room. You should do this:

schooner

Bronze

Post by schooner » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I just posted this remark in the legal recruiter thread, but because it also fits here, so here goes:

So (I'm a 2L SA btw) first thing this morning I was supposed to be meeting with a partner to meet a client in one conference room, but went into the wrong conference room, where there was a sizeable meeting going on (think partners, several upcoming associates, food, and the firm's legal recruiters). Heck, it could have even been about us summers. I just opened the door, said something like "oops I don't think I'm in the right place," apologized, and left. I ordinarily would just forget about it, but a more senior associate (one that's usually cool) made some sarcastic remark coupled with a sarcastic laugh that just made me feel like a douche.

Someone tell me that this has happened to them and they still got an offer?! Should I apologize to anyone, like the recruiters?
I think it would be a mistake to freak out and make a big deal about this. You did what you are supposed to do in these situations: briefly explain, apologize, and leave.

So don't bring it up AGAIN so just you can show them that you were so flustered and worried about something so trivial that you went out of your way to remind them what you did and apologize AGAIN. Doing this does not say "grace under pressure."

If you're that concerned about the sarcastic associate, make sure you have other interactions with him so that those positive ones will be what he remembers last about you. Even make a self-deprecating joke of it if he brings it up.

If you don't get an offer, it's probably because they don't like your work product and/or think your personality doesn't click with the firm culture, or they're downsizing, not because of this.

Edit: that law firm recruiter just responded to you.

Also, I have to repeat: if those attorneys at your firm didn't remember what happened, they will CERTAINLY remember you if you do make a point of apologizing again.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

3ThrowAway99

Gold

Post by 3ThrowAway99 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I just posted this remark in the legal recruiter thread, but because it also fits here, so here goes:

I think you'll be totally fine--I can't see any reasonable professional at all seeing this as a big deal (unless you were majorly warned not to enter ahead of time not to enter under any circumstances). Also, I'm going out on a limb to say that the others who made harsh responses are being totally sarcastic.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:48 am

BigLaw in BigCity:

A SA and partners go out to celebrate a done deal. Everyone gets trashed, partners taking shots with SA and everyone else. It was apparently a hellacious deal.
Anyway everyone gets out well and fine except one SA who gets drunk and goes home and decides to celebrate real hard on the way home. He's apparently dancing and using the roof of cars for his drumkit and (according to the source) a cop approaches him and mentions there have been car thieves in the area. Being a biglaw bigcity lawyer he ignored the cop and is disrespectful since his future 6 figure salary makes him holier then a mere cop. This ends up getting him sent to the slammer and somehow the cop is pinning attempted grand theft on him since he was such a huge dbag back to the cop.
Well seeing as it'd look real bad for the firm, he calls his dad (who knows a few people at the firm) who recommend he calls the head of litigation to pull a few strings and get him out. When the head gets there he can't recall details and the guy has to spend extra time there and miss a flight to meet clients to get this guy out.

Needless to say he's running an angry law student blog now. :lol:

What the f.supp?

Bronze

Post by What the f.supp? » Sat Jul 09, 2011 2:10 pm

PM me the blog name? I like blogs and am always looking for fresh ones.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:26 pm

Male SA. Had sex with a female partner during my first week on the job. Basically, she's a super hot milf, we had a summer event, she seemed to be flirting with me, I made a move. Wish I could give more details :twisted:

I don't think it was retarded, and I certainly don't regret it; the sex was good, and it continued throughout my SA. Don't think anyone knew/knows, but I guess we'll find out when offers come out in a few months?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

rocon7383

Bronze

Post by rocon7383 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Male SA. Had sex with a female partner during my first week on the job. Basically, she's a super hot milf, we had a summer event, she seemed to be flirting with me, I made a move. Wish I could give more details :twisted:

I don't think it was retarded, and I certainly don't regret it; the sex was good, and it continued throughout my SA. Don't think anyone knew/knows, but I guess we'll find out when offers come out in a few months?

Flaaaamee

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:38 pm

rocon7383 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Male SA. Had sex with a female partner during my first week on the job. Basically, she's a super hot milf, we had a summer event, she seemed to be flirting with me, I made a move. Wish I could give more details :twisted:

Flaaaamee
Believe what you want. It happened. No real way for me to prove it to you I suppose because for obvious reasons I cant give too many details on the internet.

rapstar

Bronze

Post by rapstar » Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
rocon7383 wrote:

Flaaaamee
Believe what you want. It happened. No real way for me to prove it to you I suppose because for obvious reasons I cant give too many details on the internet.
pics or it didn't happen

schooner

Bronze

Post by schooner » Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
rocon7383 wrote:

Flaaaamee
This sounds like a storyline from The Deep End. I'm curious to know if your firm has a policy on dating coworkers? If it does and the hiring committee finds out, you could get in trouble.

Also, if she's serious about you, you'll end up as 1) an ex at her firm or 2) a long-term SO at her firm. #1 is more likely and not desirable from her standpoint.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:09 pm

schooner wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
rocon7383 wrote:

Flaaaamee
This sounds like a storyline from The Deep End. I'm curious to know if your firm has a policy on dating coworkers? If it does and the hiring committee finds out, you could get in trouble.

Also, if she's serious about you, you'll end up as 1) an ex at her firm or 2) a long-term SO at her firm. #1 is more likely and not desirable from her standpoint.
As far as I know, the firm doesn't have a policy against it...I mean the environment seemed to be very laid back, and the firm is in a pretty liberal city. During the whole buildup I knew in the back of my head that this could end up being a big deal and I could end up getting into some trouble, but I really just shrugged all of that off. For one I think I kinda figured that as a partner and member of the firm for some 15 years, she'd be far more adversely affected than me the 24 y/o kid. That made me feel like she would keep things quiet/have a more rooted interest in not letting things be awkward in the future. Secondly, I already had an offer lined up elsewhere and at least one more shot at another offer at my second firm this summer, so I really wasn't too worried about not getting a job.

I think the biggest fear I had was that'd she'd claim I raped her, but I had a witness who saw the flirting and saw us leave together. Plus she paid the cab, and I made sure to keep the receipt.

I think the culprit here was a book I read the night before about assertiveness, women, dating, etc... One of my friends had it and it was laying around. I've never had trouble with women, but the book talked a lot about rejection being a good teacher/good indicator of whether you're really an Alpha or just putting yourself in situations where your ego gets massaged/your pride or fear stops you from doing what you really want to do. I thought about it a bit and realized that I'm very careful about managing situations so that the likelihood of failure/rejection is low. The book really helped me understand that, so the next day I woke up and kinda said "fuck it I'm going to go after what I wan't and not let the thought of what will happen/how I will look if I fail prevent me from doing it."

Anyway, I don't think she has or had any illusions of this being a serious thing. She knows that wouldn't work anyway, I mean she has kids that are less than ten years younger than me. She is and has been very cool/not awkward at all.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Borhas

Platinum

Post by Borhas » Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
rocon7383 wrote:

Flaaaamee
pics or you're a douchebag
Last edited by Borhas on Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
rocon7383 wrote:

Flaaaamee

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:52 pm

Mods: flame?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:59 pm

Cavalier wrote:

Koohinor, when I told a friend of mine what happened he actually sent me a link to the Tucker Max story you're referring to. I had never seen it before, but it was funny and pretty similar to my experience. The difference of course is Tucker didn't make a move, and he didn't follow through.

As far as being a flame, a mod can talk to me if they'd like. Iv'e been on this site nearly three years; haven't lied before and don't have any reason to start.

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Cavalier wrote:

Koohinor, when I told a friend of mine what happened he actually sent me a link to the Tucker Max story you're referring to. I had never seen it before, but it was funny and pretty similar to my experience. The difference of course is Tucker didn't make a move, and he didn't follow through.

As far as being a flame, a mod can talk to me if they'd like. Iv'e been on this site nearly three years; haven't lied before and don't have any reason to start.
--ImageRemoved--

crazycanuck

Gold

Post by crazycanuck » Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:28 pm

At the offer party there was a guy who got absolutely hammered and ended up in jail. He never started.

I know another guy who went up to a senior partner at an event and told him that he became a partner, he would do everything he could to have the senior partner removed because he's an asshole.

I think he lasted 2 weeks after that, he voluntarily quit because he got an absolute insane amount of work piled on him and it kept piling up.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:28 pm

I think I take the cake for most retarded thing. I was out with the office at a restaurant and received a call. I walk over to an empty table to take the call. The call is concerning by computer and the number I would need to call to check on it's progress as it was repaired. I didn't have a piece of paper on me, so I decided to write the number on the tablecloth. I realize my error, try to put a butter wrapper on top of it, and go to my table. Everyone at the table is starring at me in shock, so i go back and flip the tablecloth while the waitress is out of the room. She comes back, flips it over, and stares at it in disbelief. Half my table cracked up laughing while the other half looked mortified. It was one of the biggest brainfarts/embarrassing moments of my life.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:30 pm

I sat in on a mediation, and kept updating our position on my facebook page.

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I sat in on a mediation, and kept updating our position on my facebook page.
Snap. We have a winner. Hard to imagine anything stupider than breaking client confidences via Facebook.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:38 pm

Renzo wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I sat in on a mediation, and kept updating our position on my facebook page.
Snap. We have a winner. Hard to imagine anything stupider than breaking client confidences via Facebook.
I didn't put the real positions. I did it to fool them. (I had a buddy on the other side.)

Mickey Quicknumbers

Gold

Post by Mickey Quicknumbers » Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:47 pm

You weren't working for Quinn Emanuel at the time were you?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”