Can I finish 3L at cheap low ranked school (at t14 now) Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
effthis

New

Can I finish 3L at cheap low ranked school (at t14 now)

Post by effthis » Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:53 am

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum, but I need advice from law students and not 0L's, and this is related to legal employment because its my lack of it that is causing this situation.

I'm a rising 3L with a total shit summer gig. Got nothing from OCI, and don't expect to be employed after graduating. I'm thinking about not coming back in the fall. They said I could take a leave of absence and return after a while, but I was wondering if I could just enroll part time at some local cheap school, possibly part time. I understand that many of the low ranked schools charge almost as much as the top ones, but if I went to night school, and was able to work full-time, it would make a world of difference.

Has anyone heard of anyone doing something like this?

drdolittle

Silver

Re: Can I finish 3L at cheap low ranked school (at t14 now)

Post by drdolittle » Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:16 am

Do not do this. Take the time off if you need to, but the idea of getting a lower ranked (i.e. less valuable, all things being equal) and possibly slightly cheaper degree at a time when your potential "T14" degree seems so useless is irrational. Plus I don't think it'd be any cheaper, really.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:19 am

drdolittle wrote:Do not do this. Take the time off if you need to, but the idea of getting a lower and possibly slightly cheaper degree at a time when your potential "T14" degree seems so useless is irrational.
He'd be a visiting student. So he'd get his T14 degree. Someone on another thread said UChicago requires the school to be on the same level. So enrolling in a shit school wouldn't help. But you could try.

Though the deadlines are probably getting pretty damn close.

drdolittle

Silver

Post by drdolittle » Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:28 am

Desert Fox wrote:
drdolittle wrote:Do not do this. Take the time off if you need to, but the idea of getting a lower and possibly slightly cheaper degree at a time when your potential "T14" degree seems so useless is irrational.
He'd be a visiting student. So he'd get his T14 degree. Someone on another thread said UChicago requires the school to be on the same level. So enrolling in a shit school wouldn't help. But you could try.

Though the deadlines are probably getting pretty damn close.
Oh, sorry. Didn't know about this. I suppose it's not such a bad idea then if OP has to do it, attend whatever school PT while working on the side.

effthis

New

Post by effthis » Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:35 am

Yes, I would be a visiting student. My school does this with other top ranked schools and the degree still comes from my school. I have not heard of anyone doing it for my reasons though, and I haven't talked to anyone from the school to see if it was even possible.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:18 am

What do you consider a total shit summer gig? What is your class rank like? I'm at T14 but i guess at least i have solid grades (top 1/4) but otherwise same situation. Most people seem to get something at graduation.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:42 pm

I know someone who transferred from Georgetown to a lower tier 1 school for 3L and his degree still says Georgetown on it. Not sure if you get to pay the cheaper tuition at the other school 3L or if you're stuck paying T14 tuition, but if you can move somewhere with a lower COL it still might be worth it, especially if you can network in that market and make headway towards finding a job.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”