No ties to any markets? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

No ties to any markets?

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:35 pm

Right now I'm trying to write my cover letters and I'm struggling to address my lack of ties to markets. I've been on TLS for a while and I've heard the emphasis on prioritizing markets where you have ties and trying to bring those out. My problem is that I have no appreciable ties to any markets - I grew up 5 hours away from the closest "big" market (Atlanta) and I did not attend LS or UG within 2 hours of any other market.

So how should I deal with this issue? Should I be upfront in letters and interviews and at least reassure firms that there's no threat that I'll suddenly depart for home? Should I stretch to the absolute limit to find any connection to the market, no matter how tenuous? Or can I simply rely on good solid research about the firm and city to demonstrate my interest or knowledge? I believe I can coherently and intelligently explain my preference for certain markets, but given all the conversations I've read here I'm not sure that'll be enough. FTR, I am top 3-4% at a T14, so I'm more concerned about getting offers than getting initial interviews.

Anonymous User

Re: No ties to any markets?

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:46 pm

If it's NYC or DC, they won't care. And frankly, with your grades, most markets won't care.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:53 pm

2 important facts I failed to initially include (with apologies):

1) I am looking beyond DC/NY (although I will bid on some of those firms)
2) I am looking at a number of mid-sized firms with small summer classes and a reputation for exclusivity

Hopefully that makes my questions seem more relevant (if I was straight NYC BigLaw this thread would be a little bit dumb)

billbrasky

New

Post by billbrasky » Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:12 pm

I'd keep it short and sweet in a cover letter (e.g., I plan to practice in xyz, usa, and want to work at your firm). Again, the places that don't give a rat's ass about ties are DC and NY, so definitely target those places (DC is a lot tougher to break into than NY, tho).

edit--i'm sure you'll land something good, but in the event that you are targeting some really obscure market and strike out, one good way to get a tie is to do a clerkship with a judge (that's actually probably the best tie you can have).

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:44 pm

There is a place for people like you, and that place is NYC, where you will soon be making $160,000. Enjoy.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

joeshmo39

Silver

Post by joeshmo39 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:31 am

Nashville? Hm?

If you want a small market all you can really do is write it honestly in the cover letter and then try to convey it honestly in an interview. If you're really opposed to NYC this is your best bet. I will say, as someone not hugely into NYC: aside from the noise, congestion, high cost of living and reported smell you only get one shot to be young and live in Manhattan.

kurla88

Bronze

Post by kurla88 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Should I be upfront in letters and interviews and at least reassure firms that there's no threat that I'll suddenly depart for home? Should I stretch to the absolute limit to find any connection to the market, no matter how tenuous? Or can I simply rely on good solid research about the firm and city to demonstrate my interest or knowledge? I believe I can coherently and intelligently explain my preference for certain markets, but given all the conversations I've read here I'm not sure that'll be enough. FTR, I am top 3-4% at a T14, so I'm more concerned about getting offers than getting initial interviews.
Not gonna lie, it is HARD to break into secondary markets without connections. But do not mention v tenuous connections. If the bolded is true, I'd say that's your best bet. Try not to target too many different places, because they will ask where else you're applying. And definitely apply to NYC even if that's not your top choice.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”