Failed a class..what to do? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Failed a class..what to do?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:36 pm

MVP, at the very bottom of my class. Failed a course because of a paper submission problem & currently appealing it. Other grades are below median and there is a somewhat legitimate medical reason for this. Resume is good with prior legal work experience, leadership in school orgs and a journal, can get great recs from prior employers if I need to. I'm thinking my only OCI interviews will be lottery and I'm definitely applying to firms outside of OCI. Basically just looking for any advice (besides dropout or /self). Also, how should I address this in interviews and cover letters? Should I just not mention it or try to explain it?

Anonymous User

Re: Failed a class..what to do?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:47 pm

Bumping because I need help and to add that I'm a great interviewer, if that matters at all.

MC Southstar

Silver

Post by MC Southstar » Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:MVP, at the very bottom of my class. Failed a course because of a paper submission problem & currently appealing it. Other grades are below median and there is a somewhat legitimate medical reason for this. Resume is good with prior legal work experience, leadership in school orgs and a journal, can get great recs from prior employers if I need to. I'm thinking my only OCI interviews will be lottery and I'm definitely applying to firms outside of OCI. Basically just looking for any advice (besides dropout or /self). Also, how should I address this in interviews and cover letters? Should I just not mention it or try to explain it?
That blows.

lawfirmrecruiter

Silver

Post by lawfirmrecruiter » Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:MVP, at the very bottom of my class. Failed a course because of a paper submission problem & currently appealing it. Other grades are below median and there is a somewhat legitimate medical reason for this. Resume is good with prior legal work experience, leadership in school orgs and a journal, can get great recs from prior employers if I need to. I'm thinking my only OCI interviews will be lottery and I'm definitely applying to firms outside of OCI. Basically just looking for any advice (besides dropout or /self). Also, how should I address this in interviews and cover letters? Should I just not mention it or try to explain it?
You are going to have to address it. Do you know any lawyers at firms? The best thing you can do is get an opportunity to meet with them, tell them your story and have them be your advocate. If you have prior legal experience, start with those contacts and branch out from there. Network network network.

Ipsa Dixit

Bronze

Post by Ipsa Dixit » Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:58 pm

I'd look for some kind of legal volunteer work to do like with a legal aid. You need to get some kind of real world skills. You need to be able to show you can actually do the work in spite of your grades. Do some kind of real legal work every semester for the rest of law school. You want something to point to other than your grades.

You better start networking now. Join local bar groups and go to their functions. Conduct informational interviews with local attorneys and alumni.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:07 pm

Should I address it in CLs? ie. "I am currently appealing my grade in Class Y. There was a complication with the submission of my final paper and I hope to resolve this matter in the next few weeks."

My medical issue has been resolved. Since this is anon anyway I will explain. I have severe ADHD.My mom lost her job so I had to get my own health insurance, which was horrible but the only one I could afford. Unfortunately, because it was horrible the monthly cost for my adderall RX was insanely high and I couldn't afford it. I thought I would be fine, but clearly I wasn't. She finally got a new job so I have better insurance and am back on adderall and can already tell there is a significant difference. Should I explain this at all? I don't know how people will take me having ADHD. If OCI and mass mailing is a total bust, but my fall grades go up significantly, should I re-contact firms that rejected me with the update in January/February?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:11 pm

Ipsa Dixit wrote:I'd look for some kind of legal volunteer work to do like with a legal aid. You need to get some kind of real world skills. You need to be able to show you can actually do the work in spite of your grades. Do some kind of real legal work every semester for the rest of law school. You want something to point to other than your grades.

You better start networking now. Join local bar groups and go to their functions. Conduct informational interviews with local attorneys and alumni.
Well I do have real world skills. I'm currently working for legal aid for the summer and I have 2+ years of experience as a paralegal. I will look into volunteering with legal aid or a local firm during the semester as well. Is it better to network with alumni from my undergrad or from my law school...or just both?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:10 pm

Guess I would get more responses if I didn't include this: Basically just looking for any advice (besides dropout or /self). :cry: :cry:

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:16 pm

Are you a rising 2L, 3L or graduate.

I wouldn't tell people you sucked because you have ADHD.

Why is your school failing you for a submission problem. I'd probably drop out.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

BarCliff

New

Post by BarCliff » Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:02 pm

When you said that you had a legitimate medical reason, I thought you meant something requiring hospitalization. ADHD, on the other hand, is going to arouse far less sympathy from recruiters.

timbs4339

Gold

Post by timbs4339 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Guess I would get more responses if I didn't include this: Basically just looking for any advice (besides dropout or /self). :cry: :cry:
Bid big NYC firms with big summer classes. Mass mail every firm in every market you have a connection to, leave GPA off the resume. However, a bigtime market paying job is probably out of the question at this point.

If you are still set on being a lawyer, what others said in this thread is TCR. Go out and start hustling. Develop an interest in prosecution or the public defender's office real quick. Intern constantly- work 2 or 3 part-time jobs a semester if possible. Start contacting small law alumni to try and set up meetings with them. The classroom will not help you unless it is a clinic. Spend the next 2 years trying to learn the skills the law school won't teach you.

hds2388

Bronze

Post by hds2388 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Should I address it in CLs? ie. "I am currently appealing my grade in Class Y. There was a complication with the submission of my final paper and I hope to resolve this matter in the next few weeks."

My medical issue has been resolved. Since this is anon anyway I will explain. I have severe ADHD.My mom lost her job so I had to get my own health insurance, which was horrible but the only one I could afford. Unfortunately, because it was horrible the monthly cost for my adderall RX was insanely high and I couldn't afford it. I thought I would be fine, but clearly I wasn't. She finally got a new job so I have better insurance and am back on adderall and can already tell there is a significant difference. Should I explain this at all? I don't know how people will take me having ADHD. If OCI and mass mailing is a total bust, but my fall grades go up significantly, should I re-contact firms that rejected me with the update in January/February?
I wouldnn't. Cover letters are where you sell yourself. You should never try to equivocate. I agree with the other posters: get some work experience you can talk about in CLs. Just don't bring up grades. If they ask during any interviews about your grades, then you may want to explain your situation. I know its hard when youre self-conscious about a grade situation not to try and explain it away every second you can, but you should avoid making this a problem. If an employer cares about your grades, believe me, they will ask.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:29 pm

hds2388 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Should I address it in CLs? ie. "I am currently appealing my grade in Class Y. There was a complication with the submission of my final paper and I hope to resolve this matter in the next few weeks."

I wouldnn't. Cover letters are where you sell yourself. You should never try to equivocate. I agree with the other posters: get some work experience you can talk about in CLs. Just don't bring up grades. If they ask during any interviews about your grades, then you may want to explain your situation. I know its hard when youre self-conscious about a grade situation not to try and explain it away every second you can, but you should avoid making this a problem. If an employer cares about your grades, believe me, they will ask.
Thanks for the advice. I'm positive my fall grades will go up significantly; should I re-contact firms that rejected me with the update in January/February?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

flexityflex86

Silver

Post by flexityflex86 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:35 pm

I'm not a hiring partner or a lawyer, but I'd imagine that while ADHD is a real disorder and annoyance for those who have it, firms would not be too keen on hiring someone with severe ADHD when they're billing by the hour. Plus, it isn't really anymore discriminatory than not hiring a handicapped individual to play on a professional basketball team as you kind of need focus to be a good lawyer. However, it clearly isn't crippling you if you did well enough in undergrad to get into MVP, and are still making it through law school.

How far down are you - bottom third, bottom 10%? How badly do you want to be a lawyer?

BarCliff

New

Post by BarCliff » Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:55 pm

flexityflex86 wrote:I'm not a hiring partner or a lawyer, but I'd imagine that while ADHD is a real disorder and annoyance for those who have it, firms would not be too keen on hiring someone with severe ADHD when they're billing by the hour. Plus, it isn't really anymore discriminatory than not hiring a handicapped individual to play on a professional basketball team as you kind of need focus to be a good lawyer. However, it clearly isn't crippling you if you did well enough in undergrad to get into MVP, and are still making it through law school.

How far down are you - bottom third, bottom 10%? How badly do you want to be a lawyer?
1. Something tells me that you have no idea what you are talking about.

2. He's already said that he takes medication for his ADHD.

Did you even read the OP?

splitmuch

Silver

Post by splitmuch » Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:57 pm

BarCliff wrote:
flexityflex86 wrote:I'm not a hiring partner or a lawyer, but I'd imagine that while ADHD is a real disorder and annoyance for those who have it, firms would not be too keen on hiring someone with severe ADHD when they're billing by the hour. Plus, it isn't really anymore discriminatory than not hiring a handicapped individual to play on a professional basketball team as you kind of need focus to be a good lawyer. However, it clearly isn't crippling you if you did well enough in undergrad to get into MVP, and are still making it through law school.

What does him taking medication have to do with the post? Do you think his med completely eliminates his smptoms?

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:59 pm

BarCliff wrote:

That might not be too far off. Think of it from a firm's perspective...if he can't turn in his work on time in school, what about if he's working for them?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:00 pm

splitmuch wrote:
BarCliff wrote:

What does him taking medication have to do with the post? Do you think his med completely eliminates his smptoms?
Yes. And it probably makes him concentrate better than a "normal" person without ADHD.

EDIT: Oops, didn't mean to make that anonymous. I'm BarCliff

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:51 pm

When taking adderall my symptoms are completely eliminated. I took it throughout undergrad and graduated at the top of my class. I'm barely making it through law school without it, as evidenced by my grades this past year. I'm back on it now, so I believe my grades will go up. I could see why it might not be something a hiring partner would want to hear though.

MrAnon

Gold

Post by MrAnon » Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:51 pm

If you make a fuss about this issue the school will very likely back off and give you a passing grade. they don't want to deal with ADHD issues.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:28 pm

I think you should just avoid the fact that it's ADHD and just explain what you said at the beginning. You have a medical condition and due to your mother losing her job, couldn't receive adequate care and treatment for it. I think sometimes firms will ask you to explain your poor grades. One thing that might help is to put your undergrad GPA on your resume too.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Yes. And it probably makes him concentrate better than a "normal" person without ADHD.

EDIT: Oops, didn't mean to make that anonymous. I'm BarCliff
First off, I'm not OP.

That's not how the medication works. It's not a "magic pill" that cures the condition. It makes it easier to concentrate, but underlying issue is still there. You still have to force yourself to concentrate - this just eases what's going on in your mind.

I wouldn't mention the ADHD. I'm not mentioning mine. If you're taking medication now and it affected youw work, how isn't going to affect your work when you get at a firm?

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:45 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Why is your school failing you for a submission problem. I'd probably drop out.
This. I could be wrong, but where I'm at, you can fairly easily get an extension for a legit excuse.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”