UVa: Top 15% for NYC Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

UVa: Top 15% for NYC

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:23 pm

Myself (and others) have finished right around the top 15% at UVa. Looking at NYC primarily, how high/low should I be setting my sights?

Are firms such as Paul Weiss, Debevoise, Gibson Dunn, etc. reaches, or should I be reasonably competitive there? I don't plan on bidding on the V5 except for maybe DPW.

The main distinction really seems to be between V20 and below -- so my question is whether I should focus some of my top bids on V20 or play it a little more conservatively. Perhaps I am being overly cautious, so if I should be thinking strongly about high bids for Cleary, STB, etc., I'd appreciate that as well. Thanks everyone.

Cavalier

Gold

Re: UVa: Top 15% for NYC

Post by Cavalier » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:13 pm

None of those firms are out of reach. The only NY firms you shouldn't bid on are Cravath and S&C (unless you write on to law review). DPW, Skadden, STB, Weil, etc., are all attainable with a 3.5. You should bid on most of the V20 and certainly shouldn't feel the need to stray below the V50 with more than a handful of bids.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:20 pm

Cavalier wrote:None of those firms are out of reach. The only NY firms you shouldn't bid on are Cravath and S&C (unless you write on to law review). DPW, Skadden, STB, Weil, etc., are all attainable with a 3.5. You should bid on most of the V20 and certainly shouldn't feel the need to stray below the V50 with more than a handful of bids.
How is the advice for someone with a 3.49 different than that for the above poster?

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Cavalier wrote:None of those firms are out of reach. The only NY firms you shouldn't bid on are Cravath and S&C (unless you write on to law review). DPW, Skadden, STB, Weil, etc., are all attainable with a 3.5. You should bid on most of the V20 and certainly shouldn't feel the need to stray below the V50 with more than a handful of bids.
How is the advice for someone with a 3.49 different than that for the above poster?
Not at all. Your odds at each firm will be slightly lower, but again, I don't think a 3.49 makes anything else off limits.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:44 pm

3.49 / 3.5 isn't low enough that a bid on S&C would be a waste. They like higher GPAs, but there are only 54 people in the class with top 15% or better grades and I think S&C interviews more than that on grounds. Only 90 or so in the top quarter... S&C it's worth spending a bid on, and actually pretty likely to turn into an interview given how many will avoid it do to its grade-focused rep.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:17 am

thesealocust wrote:3.49 / 3.5 isn't low enough that a bid on S&C would be a waste. They like higher GPAs, but there are only 54 people in the class with top 15% or better grades and I think S&C interviews more than that on grounds. Only 90 or so in the top quarter... S&C it's worth spending a bid on, and actually pretty likely to turn into an interview given how many will avoid it do to its grade-focused rep.
Idiot.

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:22 am

thesealocust wrote:3.49 / 3.5 isn't low enough that a bid on S&C would be a waste. They like higher GPAs, but there are only 54 people in the class with top 15% or better grades and I think S&C interviews more than that on grounds. Only 90 or so in the top quarter... S&C it's worth spending a bid on, and actually pretty likely to turn into an interview given how many will avoid it do to its grade-focused rep.
I agree. Even at 3.5-3.6 I'd say Cravath and S&C might be worth a bid, just near the very bottom of the bid list. If you're bidding all NYC then bidding on these firms is probably better than bidding on the tiny offices of firms like Bracewell or Baker & McKenzie (where the NY offices don't even have their own interview room).

OP: I had a similar GPA and if I could do it all over again I would have bid on Cravath, S&C, Cleary, and Boies Schiller - firms I thought were too selective for me. Gibson (in NY), Paul Weiss, and Debevoise are definitely not out of reach for you.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”