Where do contract / temp attorneys come from? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
vanwinkle

Platinum

Re: Where do contract / temp attorneys come from?

Post by vanwinkle » Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:33 pm

d34dluk3 wrote:I fail to see how telling stories about his actual experiences in the school's market is trolling.
It's not when, it's where. He's free to continue doing it here.

d34d9823

Gold

Post by d34d9823 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:40 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
d34dluk3 wrote:I fail to see how telling stories about his actual experiences in the school's market is trolling.
But that's actually relevant...it's not like he posted it in the Stetson thread.

bouakedojo

Bronze

Post by bouakedojo » Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:52 pm

Last edited by bouakedojo on Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:52 pm

Just wanted to add that McCarter may have fat subway eating hogs for partners, and they may do shit work, but they pay 135k with a billable requirement of 1850. I know straight men at NYU that would give every partner in the office a bj for that.

Heartford

Bronze

Post by Heartford » Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:02 am

areyouinsane wrote:I poasted this in the Rutgers-Newark thread earlier to tell these kids about "midlaw" firm McCarter & English in Newark NJ. Those kids didn't care for it but maybe you guys will like it...
That post was truly remarkable. The best thing I have ever seen on TLS.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:51 am

Heartford wrote:
areyouinsane wrote:I poasted this in the Rutgers-Newark thread earlier to tell these kids about "midlaw" firm McCarter & English in Newark NJ. Those kids didn't care for it but maybe you guys will like it...
Have you read the rest of this thread?

Heartford

Bronze

Post by Heartford » Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:02 am

Bronte wrote:
Heartford wrote:
Have you read the rest of this thread?
I've been following it closely, but that most recent post was definitely my favorite.

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:35 am

d34dluk3 wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:
But that's actually relevant...it's not like he posted it in the Stetson thread.
Without even reading what he wrote I can tell you that what you count as "relevant" was likely extremely offensive and unhelpful to the posters in that thread.

Btw- I did not mean to offend that one poster (forgot his/her name). I don't remember where I called you a troll about Seton Hall but just know that there is no other school that is mentioned even half as much as that school by the scam bloggers. It'd be like you coming on here and talking about a midwest t4 school that claims that its library should put it higher in the rankings and accepts everybody and has a massive student body where like 1/3 of the initial student body is forced to flunk out, then me calling you out for Cooley bashing or something and then you saying that you were talking about some other school. If you truly are not a troll, I sincerely apologize for offending you.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:52 am

d34dluk3 wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:
This forum is for legal employment. The availability or unavailability of jobs, and the level of difficulty getting those jobs from certain schools, is appropriate to discuss here.

The Class of 2014 threads are for people who have chosen to go to a particular law school to get to know each other and share information. They wouldn't function that way if we let people who aren't going there to charge in and attack them for their decision to attend.

So, no, his posting there wasn't on-topic or relevant. Really, I only announced it here so folks would know where he went while he was banned. He'll be back, but he'll get banned again if he attacks people in the Class of 2014 forums again.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

d34d9823

Gold

Post by d34d9823 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:07 pm

A'nold wrote:Without even reading what he wrote I can tell you that what you count as "relevant" was likely extremely offensive and unhelpful to the posters in that thread.
I mean, let's be honest. Information that convinced someone not to go to Rutgers-Newark would probably be the most helpful thing they heard in their entire life.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:20 pm

d34dluk3 wrote:
A'nold wrote:Without even reading what he wrote I can tell you that what you count as "relevant" was likely extremely offensive and unhelpful to the posters in that thread.
I mean, let's be honest. Information that convinced someone not to go to Rutgers-Newark would probably be the most helpful thing they heard in their entire life.
That might actually be true. I'll give you that. But most people aren't convinced of much by strangers who barge in on them and then lecture them on what idiots they are.

d34d9823

Gold

Post by d34d9823 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:25 pm

vanwinkle wrote:That might actually be true. I'll give you that. But most people aren't convinced of much by strangers who barge in on them and then lecture them on what idiots they are.
Yeah, that's fair.

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:43 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
d34dluk3 wrote:
That might actually be true. I'll give you that. But most people aren't convinced of much by strangers who barge in on them and then lecture them on what idiots they are.
TITCR. All it does it cause people to feel insecure and get defensive/combative. Also, some of those people don't need to defend themselves to a troll when they've already made a life decision they think is best. R-N is actually one of the cheaper options out there and with scholly money and realistic expectations it might actually be a decent choice for some. Either way, it's their lives and being attacked in a "safe" forum like a "class of blank" on here isn't going to encourage people to stick around this site.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

K.R.I.T.

New

Post by K.R.I.T. » Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:45 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:Just wanted to add that McCarter may have fat subway eating hogs for partners, and they may do shit work, but they pay 135k with a billable requirement of 1850. I know straight men at NYU that would give every partner in the office a bj for that.
Wait- you know straight men at NYU?

K.R.I.T.

New

Post by K.R.I.T. » Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:56 pm

areyouinsane wrote:And just looking around the US, you can't help but see not a nation but an empire, an empire undergoing a terminal phase of decline. We jail more people than any country on Earth, have pointless wars raging in 3 theatres now (hello Libya), high & systemic unemployment, housing values that know no bottom, wages actually lower in adj. dollars than in 1973, crumbling roads and bridges, terrible public schools, wholesale outsourcing of jobs, and a political class composed of shysters and morons who are 100% owned by the Wall St "boyz" and act only to further their interests. I often tell people "the question isn't why I'm leaving, it's why the fuck you're STAYING?"
Don't let the door hit you on the way out, shitbird.

Best of luck.

sunynp

Gold

Post by sunynp » Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:00 pm

A'nold wrote:
d34dluk3 wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:
Without even reading what he wrote I can tell you that what you count as "relevant" was likely extremely offensive and unhelpful to the posters in that thread.

Btw- I did not mean to offend that one poster (forgot his/her name). I don't remember where I called you a troll about Seton Hall but just know that there is no other school that is mentioned even half as much as that school by the scam bloggers. It'd be like you coming on here and talking about a midwest t4 school that claims that its library should put it higher in the rankings and accepts everybody and has a massive student body where like 1/3 of the initial student body is forced to flunk out, then me calling you out for Cooley bashing or something and then you saying that you were talking about some other school. If you truly are not a troll, I sincerely apologize for offending you.
oh thanks for that A'nold! I had no idea that Seton Hall was such a reviled school in the "scam blog" community. I was only looking at the data because their OCS commented in the article about volunteers in the NJ USAO. I'm not a JDU person.

I think sometimes people on TLS who know so much about law school admissions and the number rigging by schools, etc. forget that the rest of the world isn't quite as immersed in this knowledge. When I looked at the basic public information on Seton Hall, it wasn't obvious at all to me that this might be a school the "scam bloggers" would attack. Live and learn!

SchopenhauerFTW

Gold

Post by SchopenhauerFTW » Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:42 pm

So how long is areyouinsane banned for?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

robotclubmember

Silver

Post by robotclubmember » Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:37 pm

if a poster delivers, i think the mods should just let them run wild a bit. it's just the internet, there's no reason to come if no one delivers. this thread is among the best content on this site including its articles and blogs.

Blessedassurance

Gold

Post by Blessedassurance » Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:44 pm

crossarmant wrote: Really? Because I remember a time in U.S. history when people were literally owned... or housed in company barracks and practically used as indentured labor for companies during the Industrial Revolution... Or thrown in prison for owing money... Maybe not so much the most aphoristic statement, but definitely one of the most hyperbolistic.
Hyperbolic, perhaps?

PitchO20

Bronze

Post by PitchO20 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:47 pm

areyouinsane wrote:Another shitlaw legend was the infamous Gary Tsirelmen, king of NY No-Fault practice. Gary was an MD who went to law school later in life, as he probably got tired of referring his cases to other shitlawyers for a kickback when he could snooze thru a gutter TTT, take the bar, and start hogging it all for himself.

He was a real character and used to ride a little Vespa scooter to court. He wore one of those turtle-shell helmets from WWII, & didn't take it off until he got into the courtroom. He got in some deep shit a while back:

http://nycoveragecounsel.blogspot.com/2 ... on-of.html

Gary's problem is that besides being a crook, he was just a major league asshole. If you had a motion against him he'd come up to you and put his hand on your shoulder and say "You're going to lose this motion- let me tell you why." His breath smelt like a hot dumpster too. He also never gave adjournments or extensions, or any courtesy whatsoever. Everyone was thrilled when he finally got "de-medicalized" or whatever you call it when a doctor is thrown out of practice.

I forgot to mention that Civil Kings in Brooklyn is perhaps the filthiest, most decrepit courthouse in America. It's a virtual beehive of shitlaw: this is where landlord/tenant cases are heard, as well as small claims, collections, and no-fault auto cases. Half the litigants there are crackheads who haven't bathed in weeks, and you have to "run the gauntlet" thru the hallways b/c if you have a suit on, all the landlord/tenant deadbeats beg you for free advice and like grab hold of your sleeves and shit. Once I was sitting on the bench nursing a hangover & this old lady kept telling me how much she liked me necktie, and how her son needed a suit for job interviews, so I took it off and gave it to her. It was from Century 21 anyway so no biggie.

The only good part about No-Fault was John, the calendar clerk. He was a semi-retired court officer with a huge mustache and an old-school NY attitude, kinda looked like Dennis Franz from NYPD Blue. Rather than a holster, he kept a huge .357 magnum tucked in the waistband of his trousers. It was all rusty from where his ass like sweated against it. Understand that this "courtroom" is kinda similar to a YMCA locker room: the half-drunk, hungover shitlawyers are washing up in the water fountain, putting on deodorant in the hallway, cleaning puke off their ties/shoes, etc. It's very loud because everyone is basically an asshole and it's so crowded you have to scream the name of your case to find your adversary. John didn't take a lot of shit, so when it got REALLY loud he's bang a stapler inside a metal trash can and say "next motherfucker who opens his mouth is getting a night in jail." I encourage all Brooklyn 0 L's to go check out King's Civil first thing Monday morning- it's at 141 Livingston Street a couple blocks from the school. 'Bozo and NYLS losers should get the "10 cent tour" as well. Hell, I'll lead it. It could be like those "scared straight" programs where teenagers visit Rikers to get on the beam.

It's kinda what you always pictured courtrooms in Rwanada are probably like. There's also a set of fire stairs next to the bathroom that have an outdoor landing where everyone smokes. You could get cancer just standing out there for a few minutes. The bench where the judge is supposed to sit is covered with 88,000 tons of cut n' pasted shitmotions and old milk crates, etc, so he/she sits in a little card table in an alcove in the back. The "courtroom" proper would be too loud to do business in anyway, since everyone is "negotiating" their cases while waiting to get called back to argue these turds.

Sadly, John the calendar clerk did get eventually get throat cancer. Each week his voice got raspier and raspier, and he was hocking up blood while out smoking with the gang. He never said anything, but we all knew what was up. He hung on as calendar clerk until all he could do was rasp and pound his fist on the table, and smash his stapler when he got pissed, which was pretty much all the time. He finally died and went to that big shit-court in the sky. RIP John. (He always got a kick out of all my bitching, and once told a gang of shitlawyers that if we ever form a union, I should be shop steward). I believe he smoked Winstons.

Another funny guy in King's Civil is on the 3rd floor, which is the trial selection part. I don't know what his title is, but he calls calendar every day. He's apparently a stroke victim and slurs his speech like an old drunk, which isn't helpful when you're trying to listen for your shitcase (there's only about 350 cases a day in this part). He's like "thurst thase isth Shara Thodthriguez," you know, all unintelligible and shit. I called him "Mumbles McGee." He smells like cat litter.

There's also a flagrantly gay judge who I won't name that's pretty hilarious. When you argue your losing cut n' paste shit-motion in front of him he gets all fruity and says "Counsellor, this is a beautiful argument but my hands are tied- there's nothing little ole' judge X can do. I have to answer to that big old appellate division." While he says this he gets all limp-wristed and emotional like Richard Simmons when some old lardass tells him she dropped 300 lbs.
Jesus Christ, I'm just catching up on this topic now. Fucking dying here. Hysterical.
Last edited by PitchO20 on Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RMstratosphere

Bronze

Post by RMstratosphere » Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:00 pm

This is making a run for best thread on TLS.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:25 pm

robotclubmember wrote:if a poster delivers, i think the mods should just let them run wild a bit. it's just the internet, there's no reason to come if no one delivers. this thread is among the best content on this site including its articles and blogs.
As a poster who narcissistically believes he delivers but also runs hog wild, I am here to report that the mods do indeed give you a longer leash. I've been temp banned (deserved it) and had posts locked a few times (no hard feelings!) but for the most part they're way more lax with the regulars.

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:30 pm

thesealocust wrote:
robotclubmember wrote:if a poster delivers, i think the mods should just let them run wild a bit. it's just the internet, there's no reason to come if no one delivers. this thread is among the best content on this site including its articles and blogs.
As a poster who narcissistically believes he delivers but also runs hog wild, I am here to report that the mods do indeed give you a longer leash. I've been temp banned (deserved it) and had posts locked a few times (no hard feelings!) but for the most part they're way more lax with the regulars.
Areyouinsane was a sub-1000 post count, no-avator poster though. He also delivered, but he probably deserved a temp ban for trolling a Class of 2014 thread. Those threads are reserved for people attending the LS in question. He'll be back people. It's cool.

(Not saying you disagree thesealocust. Just sayin.)

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:32 pm

Yeah, I'd have given him a time out for that too. I was mostly making the general point that mods do cut people some slack from time to time.

Verity

Silver

Post by Verity » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:28 am

The Gestapo has banned me a couple times. But I could be one of the more crass characters on this site.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Legal Employment”