Clerkship decision point Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Clerkship decision point

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:30 pm

Trying to weigh transfer options here and clerking post-law school is the top goal (district court, not a COA gunner). Working for a fed dist ct judge this summer in the district I want to wind up in. We are getting along well.

I can do one of the following:

1) Stay at my T25, ranked between top 5-10%, graded onto law review. Solid $$, would probably be given more. Debt doesnt concern me much.

2) Transfer to T14, have a crack at their law review during the write-on (not quite a long shot but not a sure thing), school is in the major city I want to practice/clerk in (already accepted)

3) Transfer to T6, law review is a way long shot, school places well in the city I want. (havent gotten in yet)

Would take a clerkship anywhere. Have a good pre-LS resume (masters degree from top program, solid high level work experience, published once (not law related)). Yes, that was a nested parenthetical.

I think the question really comes down to how important is law review and is it worth the gamble of writing on...

OldManHunger

New

Re: Clerkship decision point

Post by OldManHunger » Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:54 pm

Last edited by OldManHunger on Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:14 pm

Thank you for this reply. The T25 is NOT awesome for my target city though it is doable. No judges in the target district went to my school though some of the judges in the rest of the circuit did.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:22 pm

OldManHunger wrote:You'll almost certainly be able to write on to the T14 LR, given your background, so long as you put some effort into it, so that might be the safer bet.
Agree generally with everything else you said, but I completely disagree with this. Unless OP has looked into how many transfers are typically able to write on, there is no "certainty" about it.

I booked (CALI award) both semesters of legal writing 1L, killed the law review write on at my old school, and I'm positive I wrote a dynamite note for the write on competition at my transfer school, but didn't get on law review at the new school, largely due to the fact that they typically only accept 1 or 2 transfers onto law review out of about 20 transfers who normally complete the competition.

OP, I don't think you can bank on getting on at the new school, and law review is pretty huge for clerkships, especially if you end up on the ed board, publish, etc. (Less so at DCs as opposed to COA, but still a factor from what I have observed.)

I think all OldMan's other considerations are spot on though, and are definitely the things you should be considering.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:26 pm

Sounds like the above poster transferred to Chicago which is limited to one or two transfer write-ons.

OP: File a couple transfer apps to see if you are successful & to give yourself options.
Last edited by CanadianWolf on Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

legalese_retard

Bronze

Post by legalese_retard » Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Thank you for this reply. The T25 is NOT awesome for my target city though it is doable. No judges in the target district went to my school though some of the judges in the rest of the circuit did.
If your T25 does not place well in your target city, then you should definitely consider transferring, especially if you do not have legitimate strong ties to the area (i.e. grew up there, family connections, undergrad, previous employment, etc). Since you are fine with ANY fed. district clerkship, I think transferring is worth the risk. You may not clerk for a judge in your target area or in a major city, but I think your 1L grades and new law school will make you competitive for a district court clerkship in flyover country .

OldManHunger

New

Post by OldManHunger » Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:40 pm

Last edited by OldManHunger on Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:14 pm

OP here.

I think the anonymous poster above had to be referring to Chicago which makes it very hard for transfers to write on. The T14 I was referring to takes between 6-8 transfers on the law review which makes the chances somewhat better though still not a lock. I would be okay with winding up on a secondary journal but am really shooting for law review.

I guess I never knew how big of a deal law review was, I'm lucky I graded on at my current school.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”