Percentile at HLS (Clerkship Question) Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Percentile at HLS (Clerkship Question)

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:34 am

So my GPA after the end of 2L sits right at a 3.77 -- no LR. I'm applying for clerkships in the fall (and sending out applications this summer for the judges who don't follow the plan), and most of the judges to whom I'm sending applications are district court judges in major cities. Many, if not most, of these judges specify in OSCAR that they want applicants to be in the top 10% of their class. Is this a hard and fast requirement? Any flexibility for HLS? I highly doubt 3.77 is in the top 10%. Any help appreciated. Thanks.

Gold

Re: Percentile at HLS (Clerkship Question)

Post by 20121109 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:58 am

How exactly did you determine that you have a 3.77 GPA at Harvard when they don't give out A/B/C grades?

A Purple Cow

New

Post by A Purple Cow » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:05 am

Though we don't have traditional letter grades anymore, HLS still calculates GPA when determining who gets Latin honors. A Dean's Scholar Prize (i.e. book award) is a 5, an H is a 4, a P is a 3, and an LP is a P.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:47 am

I just graduated from HLS and went through the clerkship process in the last cycle.

No, it's not a hard and fast rule. You should apply. I got interviews with judges who specified "top 10%" with a GPA a decent amount lower than yours. Also, just as a side note, you might not be top 10%, but my bet is that you are actually probably not too far off. A 3.77 is a really excellent HLS GPA. You should make sure to apply to a good number of COA judges too.

Moxie

Silver

Post by Moxie » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:48 am

GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:How exactly did you determine that you have a 3.77 GPA at Harvard when they don't give out A/B/C grades?
I'm pretty sure he's using this as his base: --LinkRemoved--

But it's not really a relevant figure.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I just graduated from HLS and went through the clerkship process in the last cycle.

No, it's not a hard and fast rule. You should apply. I got interviews with judges who specified "top 10%" with a GPA a decent amount lower than yours. Also, just as a side note, you might not be top 10%, but my bet is that you are actually probably not too far off. A 3.77 is a really excellent HLS GPA. You should make sure to apply to a good number of COA judges too.
If you don't my asking, what sorts of judges did you apply to? Did you have LR?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I just graduated from HLS and went through the clerkship process in the last cycle.

If you don't my asking, what sorts of judges did you apply to? Did you have LR?
Majority district court judges and then a smaller number of COA judges. The clerkship I ended up getting was with a COA judge though. No law review.

You should apply broadly because the process is unpredictable, and definitely apply to the number of judges that Kirsten Solberg suggests. But again, a 3.77 is a really strong GPA.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”