Top 1/4 at UVa - BigLaw advice Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
garfike

New

Top 1/4 at UVa - BigLaw advice

Post by garfike » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:55 pm

Got Con Law tonight and now have all my grades.

Finished at almost exactly top 1/4 (3.48) for the year.

Want NYC or DC biglaw, but am leaning NYC.

Any tips on a list of firms or a bidding strategy?

Thanks

Julio_El_Chavo

Silver

Re: Top 1/4 at UVa - BigLaw advice

Post by Julio_El_Chavo » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:29 am

I think you're in play for everything except the elite boutiques (Susman, Keker, W&C, Wachtell) and some other firms in the V10, but you have an okay shot anywhere else.

Morgan12Oak

Bronze

Post by Morgan12Oak » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:57 am

From what I've heard, the above is pretty correct. You'll probably have enough bids to blanket the upper echelons in NYC and get bites.

vamedic03

Gold

Post by vamedic03 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:59 am

Avoid DC. Avoid grade snobby V10s (CSM and SullCrom).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:01 am

semi-tag and semi-complaining that I have zero grades still.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Younger Abstention

Bronze

Post by Younger Abstention » Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:01 am

I think he/she can hack DC if they want at top 25% from UVA. And I've told others to avoid it.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:41 am

Younger Abstention wrote:I think he/she can hack DC if they want at top 25% from UVA. And I've told others to avoid it.
With top quarter grades trying to get DC as compared to NYC, you are guaranteeing (1) fewer interviews and (2) a lower percentage of interviews turning into callbacks. The risk of striking out are much higher, but top quarter from UVA is definitely still capable of getting a market paying firm job in DC.

Wahoo1L

New

Post by Wahoo1L » Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:21 am

Younger Abstention wrote:I think he/she can hack DC if they want at top 25% from UVA. And I've told others to avoid it.
This isn't great advice. While the person could get a job in DC, the competition will be much greater and the OP doesn't seem to care whether or not s/he ends up in DC or NYC. If you are indifferent to NYC/DC, definitely focus all of your attention on the NYC firms.

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:12 am

I'm sorry, but what kind of sick person would name their account after a fed courts concept?

But seriously, it's certainly not the case that you need to be top 10% or whatever to get DC--many people who are barely top third get it. But as the thesealocust said, a DC bid is less likely to turn into a screener, and if you get the screener, it's less likely to turn into a callback. If you have top quarter grades you should certainly feel free to spend some bids on DC, but you would be insane to go all out there. In NYC, the only firms that should be off limits are Cravath and Sullcrom--your grades are fine for the rest of the V10 that come to OGI.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:45 am

To echo the other folks, you're in the running everywhere in NYC outside the elite boutiques, S&C, and Cravath. In DC... it depends. I know people with your grades last year at NU that got some great DC firms, but also people who did really terribly in DC with great grades. Definitely stay away from appellate practices or anything like that which is super grade conscious.

jawsthegreat

Silver

Post by jawsthegreat » Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:58 pm

So, if you were top 1/4 and only wanted NyC, would anything change from a DC/NYC strategy?

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:02 pm

jawsthegreat wrote:So, if you were top 1/4 and only wanted NyC, would anything change from a DC/NYC strategy?
Well if you only want NY then you'd be stupid to bid DC at all. If you'd prefer DC, then I'd recommend using 1/3 to 1/2 bids on DC--the more risk averse you are, the more NY bids you should use.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”