Beards, OCI, and You. Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
kswiss

Bronze

Beards, OCI, and You.

Post by kswiss » Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:32 am

Anyone sport a beard for OCI / other firm interviews? How did it go for you?

Dudes / chicks / I don't care. I just want to know if I should shave this squirrel that hangs out on my face or if it's no big deal.

BTW its not really a squirrel (I love animals). In fact it is quite neatly trimmed. It looks similar to this, though I am more ruggedly handsome than that dude.

Image.

Tanicius

Gold

Re: Beards, OCI, and You.

Post by Tanicius » Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:35 am

I'd only wear the beard if you're concerned like me that without it you'll look ridic young.

kswiss

Bronze

Post by kswiss » Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:38 am

I shaved it for interviews for 1L summer, and I went to a couple firms where like half the interviewers had beards. So I know it would probably be cool to wear one after getting the job, but I don't know if its cool to interview with it.

BTW my face is seasoned enough that I probably look older w/out the beard than with.

I just wonder if people actually do this. I'd like some real world confirmation. Can it be done?

iagolives

Silver

Post by iagolives » Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:43 am

Sometimes it makes people look older (in a good way) to have a beard but I think often times, if you look young anyway, having a beard makes you look like you just stepped out of the college dorm. I think some people beards just naturally work for them and, yeah, once you have the job, no one will care if you grow a well-kept beard. But, for OCI, I would strongly lean towards being clean shaven.

esq

Silver

Post by esq » Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:43 am

I've been wondering about this too. Though for me, it's more Drew Carey, post Price is Right weight loss, with a trim beard.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

booboo

Silver

Post by booboo » Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:46 am

Why risk it? You'll grow it back quickly, usually, and it's only for a short time.

kswiss

Bronze

Post by kswiss » Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:53 am

booboo wrote:Why risk it? You'll grow it back quickly, usually, and it's only for a short time.
Because I'm a risk taker. I kind of want to be a bad-ass in interviews. Be completely myself. Then, if I get any offers, they'll all be from firms that I would fit in at.

But...I'll probably shave it. Damnit, law school has turned me into a risk averse putz.

Cupidity

Gold

Post by Cupidity » Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:18 am

I'm curious as well. My problem is, I'm 21 and will be 22 at the time of OCI. When I have a beard, I look 24/25 . . . if I shave I look about 18. I'm worried that by looking that young I will have to overcome a presumption of immaturity. Is the beard more worth the risk in this sort of situation?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:46 am

Can't grow a full beard here. Stupid Native American genes...Anyway, are well kept goatees cool? I'm a black guy if that helps.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Verity

Silver

Post by Verity » Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:49 am

I don't have this problem (XX), but I've read other law students advise against beards, at least for the interviews.

Curry

Post by Curry » Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:00 am

interested in this as well. When shaven, I look 16. When unshaven, I look 18. w00t

Jack Smirks

Silver

Post by Jack Smirks » Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:07 am

esq wrote:I've been wondering about this too. Though for me, it's more Drew Carey, post Price is Right weight loss, with a trim beard.
That's not a beard that's a soul patch and it looks awful so get rid of it.

esq

Silver

Post by esq » Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:18 am

naterj wrote:
esq wrote:I've been wondering about this too. Though for me, it's more Drew Carey, post Price is Right weight loss, with a trim beard.
That's not a beard that's a soul patch and it looks awful so get rid of it.
But agreed, soul patches are ridiculous. Couldn't find a good picture of a semi-out of shape dude, with glasses, and a beard that fit my profile better than Drew. And +1 to the question that's been asked about whether the benefits of looking a little more mature (without beard, 21, with, 29), outweigh the risk involved in having a beard at OCI. It seems to me that having a trim beard is becoming the a norm in the business world, no?
Last edited by esq on Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

seatown12

Silver

Post by seatown12 » Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:25 am

I don't think there is any drawback to shaving, and there are potential drawbacks to not shaving, so just do it for the interview. If you show up with the beard on day one no one will care but it's one of those things that you just have to do for an interview for no reason, like bringing a copy of your resume nobody needs or wants.

ITEDreamer

New

Post by ITEDreamer » Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:27 am

The question seems to be, is it better to look like Doogie Howser, or Doogie Howser chewing on a rat.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:50 am

I don't think there is general advice for this. Some people don't like beards on prospective employees, other people don't care. I wouldn't want to work for someone who was that archaic and picky about their employees anyway.

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:02 am

kalvano wrote:I don't think there is general advice for this. Some people don't like beards on prospective employees, other people don't care. I wouldn't want to work for someone who was that archaic and picky about their employees anyway.
The difference is there is a potential drawback if you don't shave but not if you do. And I'd rather have any job than no job.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:50 am

In the biglaw offices I've had the opportunity to spend time in, I've seen more seersucker suits than beards, and I would never wear a seersucker suit to an interview....

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:06 am

Patriot1208 wrote:
kalvano wrote:I don't think there is general advice for this. Some people don't like beards on prospective employees, other people don't care. I wouldn't want to work for someone who was that archaic and picky about their employees anyway.
The difference is there is a potential drawback if you don't shave but not if you do. And I'd rather have any job than no job.

I've turned down two jobs over a policy like that (not law jobs). It's bullshit, and I don't want to work for a place that has a policy like that. If they are going to micromanage your facial hair, then what else are they going to try and do?

seatown12

Silver

Post by seatown12 » Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:52 am

kalvano wrote:I've turned down two jobs over a policy like that (not law jobs). It's bullshit, and I don't want to work for a place that has a policy like that. If they are going to micromanage your facial hair, then what else are they going to try and do?
Think of all the jobs for which you wore a suit to the interview even though the job itself definitely did not require formal attire. Same general concept.

Kretzy

Silver

Post by Kretzy » Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:05 pm

Had a beard through all of 1L firm recruiting, and it had no ill effect. I was basically told be OCS that I should shave for certain markets (like DC) but that firms in California/the West in general didn't care.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:32 pm

kalvano wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:

I've turned down two jobs over a policy like that (not law jobs). It's bullshit, and I don't want to work for a place that has a policy like that. If they are going to micromanage your facial hair, then what else are they going to try and do?
No one is going to micromanage your facial hair. In fact, they probably won't say anything. The partners will just silently think to themselves, "nah, I don't want to work with that guy with the chinmuff, so I'll give this assignment to Joe. Besides, someone might need to go with me to meet with the client, and I can't take that scruffy looking fuck."

Then, 2 years later, you're being pushed out for performance reasons, as you can't make your billables.

HamDel

New

Post by HamDel » Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:46 pm

I had one the whole time and it was fine. Mine is thick and full though, so it doesn't look accidental or ratty. In one case an interviewer actually said I stood out to him because of the beard while other people tended to blend in.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:51 pm

seatown12 wrote:
kalvano wrote:I've turned down two jobs over a policy like that (not law jobs). It's bullshit, and I don't want to work for a place that has a policy like that. If they are going to micromanage your facial hair, then what else are they going to try and do?
Think of all the jobs for which you wore a suit to the interview even though the job itself definitely did not require formal attire. Same general concept.

Not really.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:55 pm

Bearded 3L at a t10 here. Did OCI for NY and another mid-major market. I think it might have mattered for NY but not the mid-major. Working at top firm in the mid-major market.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”