Top 10% at Fordham. Chances of biglaw? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Top 10% at Fordham. Chances of biglaw?

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:14 am

Top 10% but 2nd semester GPA is lower than 1st. Do I have a good chance at OCI?

Anonymous User

Re: Top 10% at Fordham. Chances of biglaw?

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:45 am

Of course. I was barely top 1/4 and got it through oci, like many others. My grades slipped too, top 10% first semester, top half second. Only got asked about it once, wouldn't have gone to that firm anyway. Good luck

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:40 am

Anonymous User wrote:Of course. I was barely top 1/4 and got it through oci, like many others. My grades slipped too, top 10% first semester, top half second. Only got asked about it once, wouldn't have gone to that firm anyway. Good luck
Did you have a lot of WE?

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:44 am

Anonymous User wrote:Top 10% but 2nd semester GPA is lower than 1st. Do I have a good chance at OCI?
LOL, yes. Literally, unless you do something horrifically silly during OCI, you're looking good. (Note: nothing is guaranteed 100% in life, but your odds of having at least one biglaw option, and possibly more than that, are excellent even with the economy where it has been.)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:00 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Of course. I was barely top 1/4 and got it through oci, like many others. My grades slipped too, top 10% first semester, top half second. Only got asked about it once, wouldn't have gone to that firm anyway. Good luck
Did you have a lot of WE?
Straight from ug. You are in good shape.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:30 pm

What type of firms should I be looking at?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:05 am

bump

patently_awesome

New

Post by patently_awesome » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:21 am

Anonymous User wrote:What type of firms should I be looking at?
Go to 'Getting to 35.'

OS is right, unless you blow it at OCI you'll be fine. And even if you blow it at OCI you could be fine.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:22 am

I was hoping to Go to that "getting to 35" thing but unfortunately I won't be in town this summer.
Is there any range of firms I should be looking at?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

patently_awesome

New

Post by patently_awesome » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:28 am

Ah, then I'd suggest getting the info from a friend. Hopefully you made 1 or 2? :wink:

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:24 pm

bump.
any insight on where i should be bidding?
and to be more specific: safety, target and reaches.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:bump.
Rising 3L at Fordham here. I was decently well into the top 25% last year, and, alas, struck out at OCI. Informally, my (perhaps self-pitying) impression is that everyone above my mid-3.4 got something through OCI, and the only ones below me who did had something extra - URM status, engineering background, family connection, etc. Though, the other anonymous user above says that they succeeded at OCI with "barely top 1/4", so, grains of salt all around. (They also say that they would have turned down an offer from the firm that asked them about their grades. lol...perhaps, sure, you'd take an unpaid internship over the 3k/wk summer gig, on principle. But perhaps not.) Top 10% though, you simply will get something. It's bad but not THAT bad. How do you know you're top 10% though, they haven't released this year's curve yet. And if you're certain beyond doubt that you're in the top 10%, are you seriously asking this question?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:bump.
Rising 3L at Fordham here. I was decently well into the top 25% last year, and, alas, struck out at OCI. Informally, my (perhaps self-pitying) impression is that everyone above my mid-3.4 got something through OCI, and the only ones below me who did had something extra - URM status, engineering background, family connection, etc. Though, the other anonymous user above says that they succeeded at OCI with "barely top 1/4", so, grains of salt all around. (They also say that they would have turned down an offer from the firm that asked them about their grades. lol...perhaps, sure, you'd take an unpaid internship over the 3k/wk summer gig, on principle. But perhaps not.) Top 10% though, you simply will get something. It's bad but not THAT bad. How do you know you're top 10% though, they haven't released this year's curve yet. And if you're certain beyond doubt that you're in the top 10%, are you seriously asking this question?
well, yea the distribution is not out yet, but unless the curve for the previous years moves substantially, i should be set for 10%. And yes i am seriously asking this question. i really dont know much about firms (hiring practices and all).

i want to know what kind of firms i should be realistically bidding on. no one has answered yet! anyone?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:09 pm

How reliable is the Getting to 35 info given by SBA?

I'm going tonight and feel somewhat incredulous that it's dead on accurate in the way SBA tries to portray it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:32 am

Anonymous User wrote:How reliable is the Getting to 35 info given by SBA?

I'm going tonight and feel somewhat incredulous that it's dead on accurate in the way SBA tries to portray it.
Went to that too. It seems like a really hard cut-off guideline on what you should be bidding on. No compromise. They kept saying bid within your designation. Then as a top 10%, they say bid on cravath, cleary, Simpson, skadden, Polk, latham? Really?sounds suspicious. Is it even worth bidding on these if you are right in the border of top 10%?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:How reliable is the Getting to 35 info given by SBA?

Went to that too. It seems like a really hard cut-off guideline on what you should be bidding on. No compromise. They kept saying bid within your designation. Then as a top 10%, they say bid on cravath, cleary, Simpson, skadden, Polk, latham? Really?sounds suspicious. Is it even worth bidding on these if you are right in the border of top 10%?
Exactly. I'm around top 15% I think based off the curve that came out today. They say I should be bidding on all 2+'s, but I care much more about finding a firm I'm comfortable at and having some options hopefully at the end of OCI. Doesn't it make more sense then to bid on a bunch of 2's and 3's??

The whole, don't bid on firms that we have ranked below your class rank seemed pretty hollow to me.

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:33 pm

I'm very jealous of Fordham career services for even putting out something like that. Even if it is dead wrong.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”