B- at CLS...now what? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

B- at CLS...now what?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:18 am

Used to have a perfect, albeit mediocre, B+ average...that was upset this morning with a B-. My guess/hope is that I end up somewhere around 3.2, which is about median. What can I do at EIP this fall to maximize my chances of getting a good job in NYC?

There's also a V10 firm in my very, very secondary-market in my hometown. Is there any chance at finding my way into that firm?

thesealocust

Platinum

Re: B- at CLS...now what?

Post by thesealocust » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:28 am

Anonymous User wrote:Used to have a perfect, albeit mediocre, B+ average...that was upset this morning with a B-. My guess/hope is that I end up somewhere around 3.2, which is about median. What can I do at EIP this fall to maximize my chances of getting a good job in NYC?
Bid on many firms and interview well? A 3.2 at CLS is hardly fatal, although EIP will be an uphill battle. CLS gives you a lot of good data about what firms show up, how people bid on them, and what grade range (roughly, based on stone/kent designation) get hired. Make good use of that.

As for the hometown V10 thing, that's a very narrow question that nobody can probably answer well. My gut is that the odds won't be particularly good, but it's still probably worth an interview.

UnitarySpace

Bronze

Post by UnitarySpace » Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:02 am

if you don't mind me asking - what happened?

timbs4339

Gold

Post by timbs4339 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:16 am

I was in almost this exact situation and struck out. My 6 pieces of advice, based on what I didn't do but wish I did,`are:

1) Bid on NYC firms outside the V10 with big summer classes , especially firms that called back a high (50%) percentage of students they interviewed, and then had most or all of those students accept. A firms that calls back 30 and only 10 accept isn't calling back a ton of median students. Big NYC firms are likely to have a set target number of CLS students and that number is likely to be higher than big secondary market firms. Also, look for firms that are buying more interview schedules than last year. You can divide the number of screening interviews by 20 on the data sheet OCS gave you to get last year's number of schedules and compare it with the list on the OCS website. This last bit really should be used only to round out your list, but 2 of the firms I added this way called me back.

2) Mass mail all firms in NYC you didn't bid on and every market you have ties starting on Aug 1. Use NALP, AmLaw 250, Martindale, and Symplicity (go to evaluations and search for all firms where CLS c/0 2011/2012 students summered, which are firms with a proven track record of hiring CLS students) to compile a list. Don't restrict yourself to the list of firms coming to OCI.

3) Get on Symplicity at noon on whatever day add/drop is and add interviews like crazy. Look through the list of remaining firms and cross out a) IP firms than require hard science background, b) top tier firms like WLRK that always have interviews remaining, 3) firms in markets you don't have ties to. Other than those categories you should add interviews with any firm remaining. Make a calendar of your interviews before then so you don't waste time checking for conflicts.

4) Call the firms you bid on but didn't get interviews and ask if they will add you at EIP or go to their hospitality suites and ask the morning of EIP.

5) Bring 20 resumes to the hotel each day, go to hospitality suite, chat with firm HR people, and hand them the resume. Do this for every single firm with a suite.

AND

6) Keep a backup list of federal government organizations. If it looks like OCI is not going so well, mail them. It will take your mind off things.

Also, are you IP background, do you have WE? These traits were very valuable for students around your grade level.
Last edited by timbs4339 on Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

somewhatwayward

Silver

Post by somewhatwayward » Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:38 am

timbs4339 wrote:I was in almost this exact situation and struck out.
didn't you bid on a difficult secondary market? do you think you would've gotten something if you bid NYC?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

wahoo

New

Post by wahoo » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:02 am

I have similar grades at Fordham and WE in finance/accounting. Does anyone have advice? Or is it simply hopeless?

timbs4339

Gold

Post by timbs4339 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:05 am

somewhatwayward wrote:
timbs4339 wrote:I was in almost this exact situation and struck out.
didn't you bid on a difficult secondary market? do you think you would've gotten something if you bid NYC?
That was definitely a big part of it. I had a few callbacks in NYC and none in my secondary market, so I know I wasn't too offensive or repulsive an interviewee. Over the 12 NYC interviews I received 4 callbacks.

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:42 am

Anonymous User wrote:There's also a V10 firm in my very, very secondary-market in my hometown.
[Mod Edit.]

2LLLL

Bronze

Post by 2LLLL » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:26 pm

Your chance at the V10 in your home market is probably pretty slim.

However, you should be able to pick something up in NYC provided that you stay humble and hustle your butt off. Just based on the numbers, we know that a lot of median-ish students at your school get hired, but you really have to put the effort in to distinguish yourself. Timbs post above is very credited.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Sup Kid

Silver

Post by Sup Kid » Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:53 pm

timbs4339 wrote:Keep a backup list of federal government organizations. If it looks like OCI is not going so well, mail them. It will take your mind off things.
Also remember that a lot of government deadlines are really early, like 1st week of September, so unless you have a ton of callbacks by then, you should probably apply away. You can always withdraw later on.

JG Hall

Bronze

Post by JG Hall » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:00 pm

3.2 is actually a bit below median at CLS...

chup

Diamond

Post by chup » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:01 pm

RVP11 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:There's also a V10 firm in my very, very secondary-market in my hometown.
[Mod Edit.]
In the future, please refrain from being a dick for no reason.

professork

New

Post by professork » Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:11 am

what is the median at columbia then? I've heard conflicting things. I know generally a 3.4+ is stone scholar and straight B+'s (3.33) is a bit above median. Is it generally accepted that the median is 3.3? Or is it 3.2_?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:29 pm

professork wrote:what is the median at columbia then? I've heard conflicting things. I know generally a 3.4+ is stone scholar and straight B+'s (3.33) is a bit above median. Is it generally accepted that the median is 3.3? Or is it 3.2_?
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but OP, what are you planning to do for your bid list?

Also, does anyone know the actual median for c/o 2013? I know they already finished doing the Stone/Kent cutoffs, so I'm assuming that they know what median this year is as well. I've heard anything from 3.25 to 3.28.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”