how to include salary history? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
DavidYurman85

Bronze

how to include salary history?

Post by DavidYurman85 » Thu May 26, 2011 9:14 am

i am applying for a legal job that asks for resume, cover letter, and salary history. should i just stick the amount next to the jobs on my resume, put it in the cover letter, or attach a small chart to the cover letter? also - do i have to be specific (ie: just list a range)? thanks!

JD2014

Bronze

Re: how to include salary history?

Post by JD2014 » Thu May 26, 2011 11:35 am

Reformatting your resume would be a pain in the ass. Probably a chart or a reference in the cover letter would be fine.

They only want your salary history to compare it to what they pay. If you've made more in the past than what they are offering, they assume you won't take the job and that it would be a waste of time to interview you. If you've made less in the past than what they are offering you, it gives them a leg up in salary negotiations. For this reason, they want you to be specific.

Also, not that I assume you're going to do it, but don't lie or fudge the numbers. Background checks that verify prior employment and salary are common.

DavidYurman85

Bronze

Post by DavidYurman85 » Thu May 26, 2011 12:32 pm

JD2014 wrote:Reformatting your resume would be a pain in the ass. Probably a chart or a reference in the cover letter would be fine.

They only want your salary history to compare it to what they pay. If you've made more in the past than what they are offering, they assume you won't take the job and that it would be a waste of time to interview you. If you've made less in the past than what they are offering you, it gives them a leg up in salary negotiations. For this reason, they want you to be specific.

Also, not that I assume you're going to do it, but don't lie or fudge the numbers. Background checks that verify prior employment and salary are common.

thanks! i wasn't thinking of fudging or anything like that, but for a few of the jobs my pay varied depending on OT (which was usually the case) that month.

JD2014

Bronze

Post by JD2014 » Thu May 26, 2011 1:40 pm

Varied by how much? If it's substantial, just say your base and total annual. Like $70,000 ($56,000 base plus overtime).

Just remember that they are looking for someone who makes slightly less than what they want to pay, so if the job isn't a big jump for you, I wouldn't stress OT. If it is though, I would stress all the various fringe benefits to enhance your leverage in salary negotiations. Good luck with the job.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”