What is a typical 1L summer internship/job Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
StacyStrong

New

What is a typical 1L summer internship/job

Post by StacyStrong » Fri May 20, 2011 8:00 am

outside interning for a judge like?

I have several lawyers (I currently work for a paralegal firm in Chicago) that are our clients who are more than willing to employ me or have me do legal reserach/sit in on depositions/trials and a variety of other things. Should I be pretty set and accept their offers ORRRRRRR should I be looking for something else?

I'm a 0L and want to get a handle on these things early on in the game.

Thanks.

lawschoolgiant

Bronze

Re: What is a typical 1L summer internship/job

Post by lawschoolgiant » Fri May 20, 2011 8:53 am

StacyStrong wrote:outside interning for a judge like?

I have several lawyers (I currently work for a paralegal firm in Chicago) that are our clients who are more than willing to employ me or have me do legal reserach/sit in on depositions/trials and a variety of other things. Should I be pretty set and accept their offers ORRRRRRR should I be looking for something else?

I'm a 0L and want to get a handle on these things early on in the game.

Thanks.

worry about your grades, and if you have the opportunity to do legal research your first summer, it is a big deal. Take it. You will not get a high paid internship from what I understand. This is my first summer and I am clerking for a state judge and a clerking at a law office, both part time. I am more than happy. All positions were gained through networking, no GPA required for both.

StacyStrong

New

Post by StacyStrong » Fri May 20, 2011 10:55 am

Yeah, I'm going to put a lot of focus on my grades. Just curiouus if this was the type of thing I should be looking for. Thanks for the response.

Good to hear about your positions. Congrats.

Gideon Strumpet

Bronze

Post by Gideon Strumpet » Fri May 20, 2011 11:18 am

Whatever you can get. Just make sure it's legal work. That's all that's required. The odds are at least 9 in 10 against you getting a paid job for your 1L summer. If you already know attorneys who can offer you summer work, paid or unpaid, then you're way ahead of the game.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”