Tattoos and 2L SA-ing Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Tattoos and 2L SA-ing

Post by Anonymous User » Sun May 15, 2011 6:02 pm

I have some small/medium-ish sized tattoos on my forearms that are visible when wearing short sleeves. I have let them show before - at a 1L summer gig, at a V15 firm before law school, at a 2L gov't internship, etc. This experience will be different because I won't technically have a permanent offer until the end of summer. In the past, I have always let them show *after* getting the offer and after proving myself as a valuable member of the team.

So the question - should I let them show but keep a jacket/sweater/cardigan/whatever on hand for client meetings/meetings with senior level partners? Or should I just wear long sleeved button downs and look like I'm uptight all summer? I think confining myself to long sleeves in July in an extremely humid area of the country (think east coast - DC or NY) might actually kill me.

Not sure how to go about handling this.

Fark-o-vision

Silver

Re: Tattoos and 2L SA-ing

Post by Fark-o-vision » Sun May 15, 2011 6:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have some small/medium-ish sized tattoos on my forearms that are visible when wearing short sleeves. I have let them show before - at a 1L summer gig, at a V15 firm before law school, at a 2L gov't internship, etc. This experience will be different because I won't technically have a permanent offer until the end of summer. In the past, I have always let them show *after* getting the offer and after proving myself as a valuable member of the team.

So the question - should I let them show but keep a jacket/sweater/cardigan/whatever on hand for client meetings/meetings with senior level partners? Or should I just wear long sleeved button downs and look like I'm uptight all summer? I think confining myself to long sleeves in July in an extremely humid area of the country (think east coast - DC or NY) might actually kill me.

Short sleeve dress shirts=white and nerdy.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun May 15, 2011 6:06 pm

Fark-o-vision wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I have some small/medium-ish sized tattoos on my forearms that are visible when wearing short sleeves. I have let them show before - at a 1L summer gig, at a V15 firm before law school, at a 2L gov't internship, etc. This experience will be different because I won't technically have a permanent offer until the end of summer. In the past, I have always let them show *after* getting the offer and after proving myself as a valuable member of the team.

Short sleeve dress shirts=white and nerdy.
OP here: I'm a girl lol. Short sleeve blouses (not button downs) are a staple of female business casual. :D

HWS08

Bronze

Post by HWS08 » Sun May 15, 2011 6:13 pm

0L, but I live in a hot and humid area and have to dress professionally for work. My go-to outfits are sleeveless dresses that I throw a cardigan or jacket over when I get to the office and skirts with sleeveless blouses that I also cover up when I get to the office. I don't actually wear short sleeves much because I will end up with massive pit stains by the time I get from the train to the office. If I were driving I might consider short sleeves. I don't think anyone will think you are uptight if you go with the sleeveless dress/top + cardigan/jacket while in the office.

Ipsa Dixit

Bronze

Post by Ipsa Dixit » Sun May 15, 2011 6:16 pm

Safest thing to do is keep them covered with long sleeves while at work. It isn't going to kill you.

You could wear something cooler in to work and change into a dress shirt once you get there. My boss does this (not because he has tattoos, but he doesn't want to get his dress shirts all gross and sweaty on the way to the office).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun May 15, 2011 6:19 pm

OP here - thanks, everyone. So long sleeves seem to be the norm even for business casual offices?

dr123

Gold

Post by dr123 » Sun May 15, 2011 6:24 pm

you could always use cover up, it's pretty easy to put on in the AM from what Ive heard

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun May 15, 2011 10:24 pm

dr123 wrote:you could always use cover up, it's pretty easy to put on in the AM from what Ive heard
Thanks - I've tried cover up (including the expensive air brushing) and none of it seems to work. It definitely looks like I have makeup on my arms and it's almost worse than just leaving the tattoo there. I'm very pale naturally and none of the makeup -even the foundation that's supposed to be for my complexion- seems to work.

I took everyone's advice and went on a cardigan shopping spree at Gap and Banana Republic online. :D

yngblkgifted

Silver

Post by yngblkgifted » Sun May 15, 2011 10:53 pm

Looks like it's long sleeve shirts for you. It's really not that big of a deal. Did you ever think about this when you were getting the tattoo?

If you have the slightest interest in working in corporate America, it is generally an awful idea to get tattoos on your forearm.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 16, 2011 12:18 am

yngblkgifted wrote:Looks like it's long sleeve shirts for you. It's really not that big of a deal. Did you ever think about this when you were getting the tattoo?

If you have the slightest interest in working in corporate America, it is generally an awful idea to get tattoos on your forearm.
OP here - I actually didn't start out thinking that I would end up in law school. I was going to college to become a law enforcement officer. Also, I worked for two years at a big firm in NY and my bosses and partners had no problems with my tattoos showing - even at client events. I just don't know how different my firm is. Plus I think there's a big difference between doing it as admin staff and doing it as an attorney.

yngblkgifted

Silver

Post by yngblkgifted » Mon May 16, 2011 1:29 am

Anonymous User wrote:
yngblkgifted wrote:Looks like it's long sleeve shirts for you. It's really not that big of a deal. Did you ever think about this when you were getting the tattoo?

OP here - I actually didn't start out thinking that I would end up in law school. I was going to college to become a law enforcement officer. Also, I worked for two years at a big firm in NY and my bosses and partners had no problems with my tattoos showing - even at client events. I just don't know how different my firm is. Plus I think there's a big difference between doing it as admin staff and doing it as an attorney.
I would suspect that there is a lot of truth to your last statement. I highly doubt any firm would be cool with their attorneys having their tattoos showing. It is just extremely unprofessional IMO.

Ty Webb

Silver

Post by Ty Webb » Mon May 16, 2011 1:34 am

Laughed at the OP saying "think DC or NYC" as if identifying one of these massive markets would possibly out them in some way.

Bronze

Post by 06162014123 » Mon May 16, 2011 1:37 am

Last edited by 06162014123 on Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

MrKappus

Gold

Post by MrKappus » Mon May 16, 2011 1:37 am

yngblkgifted wrote:I would suspect that there is a lot of truth to your last statement.
Probably.
yngblkgifted wrote:I highly doubt any firm would be cool with their attorneys having their tattoos showing.
Wrong.
yngblkgifted wrote:It is just extremely unprofessional IMO.
Depends on the city, the firm, the tattoo, the client, the level of the associate, and various other things. Like most things in life, a hard-and-fast rule (which this poster attempted) is usually overly rigid and, for lack of a better label, dumb and useless.

mths

Silver

Post by mths » Mon May 16, 2011 1:48 am

--LinkRemoved--

this actually works

yngblkgifted

Silver

Post by yngblkgifted » Mon May 16, 2011 1:49 am

Wrong
Really? Enlighten me, please! I really hope you're right - don't want the "man" to fuck with my swag.

FeelTheHeat

Platinum

Post by FeelTheHeat » Mon May 16, 2011 1:50 am

Ty Webb wrote:Laughed at the OP saying "think DC or NYC" as if identifying one of these massive markets would possibly out them in some way.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 16, 2011 2:02 am

Relax OP, you'll be fine.

Last time I heard, this guy's on track for partnership at a large, prestigious corporate law firm:

--ImageRemoved--

MrKappus

Gold

Post by MrKappus » Mon May 16, 2011 2:19 am

yngblkgifted wrote:
Wrong
Really? Enlighten me, please! I really hope you're right - don't want the "man" to fuck with my swag.
You should make more blanket, unqualified, and unresearched statements. I bet it's worked out really well for you so far.

yngblkgifted

Silver

Post by yngblkgifted » Mon May 16, 2011 2:39 am

MrKappus wrote:
yngblkgifted wrote:
Wrong
You should make more blanket, unqualified, and unresearched statements. I bet it's worked out really well for you so far.
Seems like you're fighting fire with fire then, homey. Where's the evidence?

nygrrrl

Gold

Post by nygrrrl » Mon May 16, 2011 2:49 am

Anonymous User wrote: I took everyone's advice and went on a cardigan shopping spree at Gap and Banana Republic online. :D
Hey OP! Ignore the haters. :lol: You'll be fine. Are the tats far enough up that you could wear a 3/4 sleeve cardigan? Just asking b/c Target actually has some great ones right now that are really cute and really cheap ($25) - I just bought a bunch b/c I'm always cold in the a/c, summers. (I've worked in both NYC and DC in the summertime and I was always freezing indoors, roasting on my way to/from work, so lots of sweaters/jackets.)
Also, I know trying to cover tattoos with make up sucks, but have you tried the stuff they make for hiding varicose veins? Several of my friends use that to cover their tattoos at work (though only one is particularly fair-skinned) and it works quite well.

ETA: Lol, I didn't see THIS
mths wrote: [long url that i'm too tired to edit scroll up]
this actually works
Thanks, mths! This looks cool.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

mths

Silver

Post by mths » Mon May 16, 2011 3:36 am

nygrrrl wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: I took everyone's advice and went on a cardigan shopping spree at Gap and Banana Republic online. :D
Hey OP! Ignore the haters. :lol: You'll be fine. Are the tats far enough up that you could wear a 3/4 sleeve cardigan? Just asking b/c Target actually has some great ones right now that are really cute and really cheap ($25) - I just bought a bunch b/c I'm always cold in the a/c, summers. (I've worked in both NYC and DC in the summertime and I was always freezing indoors, roasting on my way to/from work, so lots of sweaters/jackets.)
Also, I know trying to cover tattoos with make up sucks, but have you tried the stuff they make for hiding varicose veins? Several of my friends use that to cover their tattoos at work (though only one is particularly fair-skinned) and it works quite well.

ETA: Lol, I didn't see THIS
mths wrote: [long url that i'm too tired to edit scroll up]
this actually works
Thanks, mths! This looks cool.
haha yeah I know someone who has a sleeve on his arm and the makeup literally puts a blank line through it

pretty cool

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 16, 2011 5:57 pm

OP here - haha - yeah, "DC and NY" was a little ridiculous. :D

I'm going to check out that Kat Von D stuff. Although I kinda hate her, since she's dating that scoundrel who ruined Sandra Bolluck's life. (Now that finals are over, I can go back to reading trashy gossip magazines and not feeling guilty.....)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”