Minority Job Fairs Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Minority Job Fairs

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 12, 2011 3:30 pm

I'm an AA female at a T10 who was top 25% at the end of last semester (and I'm hoping for similar results this semester). I'll be an SA this summer at a V100 firm in a major market. I've registered for a few diversity fairs (SEMFJ, Dupont, CCMBA), but my career services office basically told me that attending these fairs would be a waste of time and money for someone with my grades and summer employment because I'll likely do well at OCIs. Does anyone know if there is an advantage to attending a minority job fair that wouldn't be realized by simply doing OCIs in the fall? Or should I just take the advice of my career services office and not even bother bidding/attending?

Thanks!

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Re: Minority Job Fairs

Post by CanadianWolf » Thu May 12, 2011 3:57 pm

If you think that too many job interviews is a waste of time, then listen to your career services office.

BruceWayne

Gold

Post by BruceWayne » Thu May 12, 2011 3:59 pm

LMAO this does seem like a subtle (actually maybe not?) attempt at bragging.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Thu May 12, 2011 4:04 pm

Seems like recommending that if one is admitted to one of Harvard, Yale or Stanford, then withdraw the two remaining applications.

P.S. Actually, your career center is advising you to only apply to one of H,Y or S because your numbers are good enough to get you admited. Not sound advice, in my opinion.
Last edited by CanadianWolf on Thu May 12, 2011 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 12, 2011 4:17 pm

I'm the OP. I definitely wasn't trying to brag at all. The reason I even registered for the fairs is because I thought they were a good idea no matter what my class rank. Having heard the advice of my career services office, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't mistaken (since their take on them seems to be that they are a waste of time and money).

So thanks everyone for reaffirming that I should attend them.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Thu May 12, 2011 10:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm an AA female at a T10 who was top 25% at the end of last semester (and I'm hoping for similar results this semester). I'll be an SA this summer at a V100 firm in a major market. I've registered for a few diversity fairs (SEMFJ, Dupont, CCMBA), but my career services office basically told me that attending these fairs would be a waste of time and money for someone with my grades and summer employment because I'll likely do well at OCIs. Does anyone know if there is an advantage to attending a minority job fair that wouldn't be realized by simply doing OCIs in the fall? Or should I just take the advice of my career services office and not even bother bidding/attending?

Thanks!
They are correct. In a strange paradox, only people with good grades benefit from minority fairs, but people with good grades don't need to attend minority fairs.

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Thu May 12, 2011 10:25 pm

BruceWayne wrote:LMAO this does seem like a subtle (actually maybe not?) attempt at bragging.
Not really. Those flights can be expensive. Why bother if you're a lock at OCI?

BruceWayne

Gold

Post by BruceWayne » Thu May 12, 2011 10:37 pm

Kohinoor wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm an AA female at a T10 who was top 25% at the end of last semester (and I'm hoping for similar results this semester). I'll be an SA this summer at a V100 firm in a major market. I've registered for a few diversity fairs (SEMFJ, Dupont, CCMBA), but my career services office basically told me that attending these fairs would be a waste of time and money for someone with my grades and summer employment because I'll likely do well at OCIs. Does anyone know if there is an advantage to attending a minority job fair that wouldn't be realized by simply doing OCIs in the fall? Or should I just take the advice of my career services office and not even bother bidding/attending?

Thanks!
They are correct. In a strange paradox, only people with good grades benefit from minority fairs, but people with good grades don't need to attend minority fairs.
LMAO this is a fundamental truth of life isn't it?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 12, 2011 10:55 pm

Kohinoor wrote:

Thanks!

Okay. Thanks for your advice, Kohinoor. I think I'll still attend at least one fair (because I don't think they can hurt), but I'll just make sure I don't spend too much flights.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Doritos

Silver

Post by Doritos » Fri May 13, 2011 7:20 am

Why not sign up for them and see how your spring grades come out. If you do poorly and find yourself closer to median then maybe those job fairs wouldn't be such a waste of time...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 13, 2011 10:08 am

Kohinoor wrote:They are correct. In a strange paradox, only people with good grades benefit from minority fairs, but people with good grades don't need to attend minority fairs.
I'm signed up for a couple of minority job fairs. Assume I'm top 10% and there is a lot of overlap between the firms that will be at the minority job fairs and at my school's OCI. Any tips on bidding strategy? Better to focus on firm's that won't be at my OCI or focus on the firms that will be at my OCI b/c they have a prediposition to hire from my school?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun May 22, 2011 9:25 pm

Any tips for making bids at minority job fairs? One can be less conservative than they would be at their school OCI correct? Has anyone bid on one of these things and not gotten any interviews? How long does it take to get callbacks from these things?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”