Rising 3L applying for Associate positions - When to apply? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
jhandin

New

Rising 3L applying for Associate positions - When to apply?

Post by jhandin » Sat May 07, 2011 3:59 pm

Last edited by jhandin on Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

dood

Gold

Re: Rising 3L applying for Associate positions - When to apply?

Post by dood » Sat May 07, 2011 4:03 pm

aug 15th large firms
small firms similar but have later deadlines
cover letter, resume by email

jhandin

New

Post by jhandin » Sat May 07, 2011 4:06 pm

dood

Gold

Post by dood » Sat May 07, 2011 4:13 pm

if u go to a firm's website it gives u a preferred way of submitting an app. and in my direct mail campaign i noticed most firms preferred email to a specific person, often separated by office. from past TLS discussions, it seems like others agree. when in doubt check the firm's website.

if u do email, here's a PROTIP: big firms are getting hundreds (thousands?) of apps. so at best, somebody is prolly only doing a quick scan of ur email and resume. so title ur email something eye-catching. i.e. "3L Harvard Law with M&A Banking Work Experience Seeking SA"

give them a reason to open ur email and read your cover letter carefully. and of course have a well written cover letter to back up the title of your email. HTH.

jhandin

New

Post by jhandin » Sat May 07, 2011 4:15 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dood

Gold

Post by dood » Sat May 07, 2011 4:17 pm

many firms ask u to submit directly via their website, such as:

http://selfapply.jonesday.com/apply/red ... tegoryID=3

--LinkRemoved--

(i just looked at 2 big firms that came to mind randomly, but u get the point)

jhandin

New

Post by jhandin » Sat May 07, 2011 4:23 pm

dood

Gold

Post by dood » Sat May 07, 2011 4:28 pm

jhandin wrote:
dood wrote:many firms ask u to submit directly via their website, such as:

--LinkRemoved--

Right, yeah. I've seen the Jones Day application process when I applied for SA positions last year. I was just surprised that certain firms could want an e-mail application if they don't have a dedicated online application system like that.
im not 100% sure it matters, its just what i did and several others on this board. email just seems so much easier, and im not sure a letter would earn any more points. though somebody pointed out that a letter is harder to "delete" without opening it first....so maybe that is an advantage. i think either way you'll be fine, just get them out in august, at the latest before sept ends (since most firms are doing CBs by then).

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Sat May 07, 2011 4:46 pm

jhandin wrote:
dood wrote:many firms ask u to submit directly via their website, such as:

--LinkRemoved--

Right, yeah. I've seen the Jones Day application process when I applied for SA positions last year. I was just surprised that certain firms could want an e-mail application if they don't have a dedicated online application system like that.
If you send a paper app to a big firm, it's like a 99% certainty that someone in recruiting is going to scan it and throw the paper away. They get thousands of apps, and several people need to view them, so passing paper files around would be ludicrous.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

timbs4339

Gold

Post by timbs4339 » Sat May 07, 2011 7:44 pm

Would you recommend calling after a few days to make sure they got your applications?

And I was wondering if anyone with experience doing the 3L mass mail had any other advice for us rising 3Ls.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 10, 2011 10:48 pm

To jump in on this thread - I'm a rising 3L, going to be an SA this summer, but will probably try to firm and market jump as a 3L. I want to apply August 1st, but my SA ends after that. I am concerned that my current firm will find out and no offer me because I applied other places. Tips to deal with this? Should I wait till I have an offer in hand before applying anywhere else? What if they don't make an offer till several weeks after the SA?

What if they don't offer at all? :O

learnedpaw

New

Post by learnedpaw » Tue May 10, 2011 11:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:To jump in on this thread - I'm a rising 3L, going to be an SA this summer, but will probably try to firm and market jump as a 3L. I want to apply August 1st, but my SA ends after that. I am concerned that my current firm will find out and no offer me because I applied other places. Tips to deal with this? Should I wait till I have an offer in hand before applying anywhere else? What if they don't make an offer till several weeks after the SA?

Don't apply before you finish. Afterwards you can apply elsewhere, but I would recommend giving your firm a heads up. You can frame it as a "covering your bases" type of deal while you are waiting to hear from them. Employers understand the job market, and I don't think your summer firm will fault you for this.

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Wed May 11, 2011 10:01 am

learnedpaw wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:To jump in on this thread - I'm a rising 3L, going to be an SA this summer, but will probably try to firm and market jump as a 3L. I want to apply August 1st, but my SA ends after that. I am concerned that my current firm will find out and no offer me because I applied other places. Tips to deal with this? Should I wait till I have an offer in hand before applying anywhere else? What if they don't make an offer till several weeks after the SA?

Don't apply before you finish. Afterwards you can apply elsewhere, but I would recommend giving your firm a heads up. You can frame it as a "covering your bases" type of deal while you are waiting to hear from them. Employers understand the job market, and I don't think your summer firm will fault you for this.
Don't tell your firm you are applying elsewhere. That would be really strange.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Georgiana

Silver

Post by Georgiana » Wed May 11, 2011 10:47 am

Renzo wrote:
learnedpaw wrote:

Don't tell your firm you are applying elsewhere. That would be really strange.
+1

Big Shrimpin

Gold

Post by Big Shrimpin » Wed May 11, 2011 10:51 am

learnedpaw wrote:Don't apply before you finish.
Anybody else want to weigh-in on this? I'm sure OCI bidding would be an exception, but what about other contacts/applications?

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Wed May 11, 2011 11:35 am

Big Shrimpin wrote:
Anybody else want to weigh-in on this? I'm sure OCI bidding would be an exception, but what about other contacts/applications?
I was assuming she/he would be done by the beginning of August, so that's early enough that the question was moot. I don't think before/after the summer job ends matters at all; just get the apps out in early Aug.

Big Shrimpin

Gold

Post by Big Shrimpin » Wed May 11, 2011 11:37 am

Renzo wrote:
Big Shrimpin wrote:
I was assuming she/he would be done by the beginning of August, so that's early enough that the question was moot. I don't think before/after the summer job ends matters at all; just get the apps out in early Aug.
Gotcha, thanks.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

2LLLL

Bronze

Post by 2LLLL » Wed May 11, 2011 5:32 pm

2 questions about 3LOL recruiting:

(1) Are you applying for a position as a summer associate in the summer after graduation, or (assuming you get an offer) do you just become an associate sight-unseen after you pass the bar?

(2) Is there a listing anywhere of firms that won't LOL at 3Ls submitting applications? I looked on NALP but it gives no information about whether firms consider applications from 3Ls.

\

Dman

Bronze

Post by Dman » Wed May 11, 2011 7:42 pm

Anyone have any anecdotal evidence on how taking a Gov position 2L looks in the eyes of a big firm for trying to get a 3L gig? I could see it spun both ways, but I would be interested in hearing others' opinions, especially in light that Gov positions do not give offers in the traditional sense.

timbs4339

Gold

Post by timbs4339 » Wed May 11, 2011 9:37 pm

2LLLL wrote:2 questions about 3LOL recruiting:

(1) Are you applying for a position as a summer associate in the summer after graduation, or (assuming you get an offer) do you just become an associate sight-unseen after you pass the bar?

(2) Is there a listing anywhere of firms that won't LOL at 3Ls submitting applications? I looked on NALP but it gives no information about whether firms consider applications from 3Ls.

\
(2) The firms I know of who hired 3Ls last year were generally the large, selective NYC firms. I know Cravath, S+C, Weil, Paul Weiss, all gave callbacks. But you will need to apply to every single firm out there independently of OCI. Autoadmit or TLS might have 3L OCI callback/offer threads.

jhandin

New

Post by jhandin » Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:10 pm

Last edited by jhandin on Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

boaltrising3l

New

Post by boaltrising3l » Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:55 pm

theres really nothing to talk about, we missed the boat... At my own school 3 ppl got jobs from at biglaw from eip... My career offices own advice is basically firms don't hire 3ls and we have no clue who does so network. These mythical 3l positions do not exist do not waste time that could be spent spamming clerkship applications

lawfirmrecruiter

Silver

Post by lawfirmrecruiter » Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:42 pm

boaltrising3l wrote:theres really nothing to talk about, we missed the boat... At my own school 3 ppl got jobs from at biglaw from eip... My career offices own advice is basically firms don't hire 3ls and we have no clue who does so network. These mythical 3l positions do not exist do not waste time that could be spent spamming clerkship applications
We are accepting applications now through July 31st for 3L positions. Feel free to PM for more details.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:34 pm

Big Shrimpin wrote:
Also curious about this. Is there any real reason applications post-summer are acceptable, whereas sending them out in the final week or two is not? This doesn't make all that much sense to me, and my inclination would be that either is a fair approach so long as you aren't scheduling interviews during your work day or anything of the sort.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Big Shrimpin wrote:
Also curious about this. Is there any real reason applications post-summer are acceptable, whereas sending them out in the final week or two is not? This doesn't make all that much sense to me, and my inclination would be that either is a fair approach so long as you aren't scheduling interviews during your work day or anything of the sort.
Final bump for curiosity. Anyone see any reason why sending emails would only become appropriate post-summer? What if you're in the city only briefly following your SA and want the chance to schedule interviews for the limited time you're in town?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”