Big Law Lawyer Taking Q's Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
glitter178

Silver

Re: Big Law Lawyer Taking Q's

Post by glitter178 » Tue May 03, 2011 4:37 pm

formerbiglawpartner wrote:As for advice for summer associate positions, this may not be as big a problem as in the past, but remember that every function is tantamount to a job interview. Not to make you too nervous, but just remember that the "parties" are not really parties. You are being watched and evaluated at all times. I can't tell you how many summer associates have been dinged for being drunk, "too festive," or otherwise displaying behavior unbecoming.... Save your inner wild child for when no partners are around.
can you give examples of "otherwise unbecoming behavior?" Thank you in advance.

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Tue May 03, 2011 4:40 pm

formerbiglawpartner wrote:As for advice for summer associate positions, this may not be as big a problem as in the past, but remember that every function is tantamount to a job interview. Not to make you too nervous, but just remember that the "parties" are not really parties. You are being watched and evaluated at all times. I can't tell you how many summer associates have been dinged for being drunk, "too festive," or otherwise displaying behavior unbecoming.... Save your inner wild child for when no partners are around.
? Aren't no-offers relatively low? Do you mean that of the few no-offers you saw, most were related to ribaldry and the drink?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 04, 2011 2:56 pm

Did you have any debts from LS going into your job? And how is working to pay it off going for you? Glum, almost done, bright?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 04, 2011 3:04 pm

I haven't read through the whole thread, so I don't know if you do any interviewing, but is it better for someone going into OCI to have an idea of what law they are interested in practicing? Or is it better to say that you are keeping your options open and taking electives in multiple fields during the upcoming semester to find where your interests lie? I've heard conflicting things on this: Some say that if you have a passionate interest in one area, you should show it. Others said that you will be moved and shuffled around anyway, plus it would be incredulous to think that a 1L who has only taken the core courses could be that into an area they haven't even taken a course in.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”