Ties needed for district court in Hawaii, Puerto Rico, or .. Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Ties needed for district court in Hawaii, Puerto Rico, or ..

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:07 pm

Interested in spending a year at a federal district court in an incredible location. Primarily considering Hawaii, Puerto Rico, and the US Virgin Islands (other locations suggestions are welcome). Are regional ties necessary to stand a shot at getting an interview at one of these courts? Side question- does anyone know whether you need to be fluent in spanish to get Puerto Rico?

Anon because I intend to apply to these locations, and I'm not sure if many people actually apply to these locations without ties (especially Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Islands).

phoenixsoars

New

Re: Ties needed for district court in Hawaii, Puerto Rico, or ..

Post by phoenixsoars » Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:23 am

Last edited by phoenixsoars on Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:30 am

phoenixsoars wrote:I highly doubt you are the first person to think it would be amazing to do an Article III clerkship while living in an island paradise for a year. There are very few such spots even available and they see tons of applications. I'd imagine you would need (1) ties or a compelling reason to go there and/or (2) amazing credentials from a top school. I defer to anyone with firsthand knowledge as I don't know anyone who managed to land a clerkship on an island.
Define "amazing credentials"... Primarily wondering if (1) is necessary or if (2) alone is sufficient. Also, FWIW, the US Virgin Islands is actually an article IV court (so I guess it's less prestigious?).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:11 pm

Anybody got an idea? GTL Rev ?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:45 pm

D.P.R. is certainly less competitive, presuming you are fluent Spanish speaker (that weeds out a lot of applicants.)

I know two people who clerked in Hawaii. They were both competitive for other similar clerkships in other states; one had no ties to HI, while the other got the job through the first clerk.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:14 pm

Renzo wrote:D.P.R. is certainly less competitive, presuming you are fluent Spanish speaker (that weeds out a lot of applicants.)

I know two people who clerked in Hawaii. They were both competitive for other similar clerkships in other states; one had no ties to HI, while the other got the job through the first clerk.
Thanks for the response. Is fluency in Spanish pretty much a requirement to get a clerkship in the district of Puerto Rico?

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:17 pm

Si.

P.S. Depends upon the judge as to whether or not fluency or proficiency in Spanish is required.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:29 pm

As a sidenote, I am aware of some big city DA's offices that are seeking English/Spanish fluency for their appellate divisions. It is easy to understand why prosecutors & defense counsel seek lawyers & paralegals fluent in Spanish due to client & witness contact, but appellate divisions typically just review trial records.

Is it possible that the appellate divisions want someone to verify the accuracy of transcript translations ?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

UVAHoo2013

New

Post by UVAHoo2013 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:11 am

maybe one with a floral print?? i don't really think it should matter that much, but maybe wear standard diagonal stripe ones your first week and see what other people are wearing

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:22 am

I actually have a friend who did an A III clerkship in Hawaii. PM me if you want any info. FWIW: Pretty obscure and unhelpful post "UVA"- Really funny though! (I would personally take anything said by anyone with that moniker with a big f*cking grain of salt...).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:12 am

Anonymous User wrote:I actually have a friend who did an A III clerkship in Hawaii. PM me if you want any info.
Yes, that would be incredibly useful... but you posted anonymously, so I can't PM you

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

2LLLL

Bronze

Post by 2LLLL » Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:18 pm

Clearly you don't need any ties for any of these three clerkships. As befitting the local climates, beach attire is considered acceptable.

bleepbloop

New

Post by bleepbloop » Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:14 am

CanadianWolf wrote:Si.

P.S. Depends upon the judge as to whether or not fluency or proficiency in Spanish is required.
I know this is an old post, but the advice on here is incorrect. The District of Puerto Rico is about 50/50 clerks who can speak Spanish and clerks who cannot. It is also a relatively competitive district in the same way Hawaii is--there are a lot of people who want an Art. III clerkship on a tropical island.

mi-chan17

Bronze

Post by mi-chan17 » Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:20 pm

Edit: Realized thread was necro'd. Nevermind.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”