Any 3Ls get their permanent position without showing grades? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Any 3Ls get their permanent position without showing grades?

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:05 pm

I'm not talking about big law here since that's one of the least flexible paths for worming your way in due to the customary hiring process imo, but does anyone have success stories about networking into a decent permanent position, maybe with a smaller firm or gov, without having to show a transcript? I'm below median at my school, I have a good government transactional and regulatory summer internship lined up (but not a good chance of it leading to a permanent position), and my grades probably aren't going to do me any favors, so I'm anticipating a tough job search this summer and next school year.

holdencaulfield

Bronze

Re: Any 3Ls get their permanent position without showing grades?

Post by holdencaulfield » Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:21 pm

I got a permanent offer from a firm I clerked for without ever showing them my grades. Didn't take it though.

OldManHunger

New

Post by OldManHunger » Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:28 pm

Last edited by OldManHunger on Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Always Credited

Gold

Post by Always Credited » Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:41 pm

OldManHunger wrote:That shit's basically going to haunt you forever. Grades even come up with lateraling. But with enough hustle and networking, I'm sure you'll be able to land something.
smh.

XxSpyKEx

Gold

Post by XxSpyKEx » Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm not talking about big law here since that's one of the least flexible paths for worming your way in due to the customary hiring process imo, but does anyone have success stories about networking into a decent permanent position, maybe with a smaller firm or gov, without having to show a transcript? I'm below median at my school, I have a good government transactional and regulatory summer internship lined up (but not a good chance of it leading to a permanent position), and my grades probably aren't going to do me any favors, so I'm anticipating a tough job search this summer and next school year.
I doubt it happens nowadays at midsize firms. The fall I did OCI (I'm c/o 2011), the CSO at my school was recommending to everyone to send out resumes without listing a GPA and not sending transcripts (which I'm pretty sure was the advice the CSO gave out every year before that -- I don't think they realized exactly how bad the economy was by my 2L fall until after it happened). Basically the advice was to let the school name sell you to midsize firms, and that midsize firms would hire you without caring about your grades because they have a difficult time getting people at schools like this one to apply to their firms... Oh, how times have changed.

But, yeah, I think if you network, it's possible that a small firm or local government will hire you without caring about your grades.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

vb007

New

Post by vb007 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 4:03 am

sometimes smaller companies (in-house) don't ask for transcripts.

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:50 am

OldManHunger wrote:Grades even come up with lateraling.
L...O...L.

PKSebben

Silver

Post by PKSebben » Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:10 am

RVP11 wrote:
L...O...L.
This is absolutely true.

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:12 am

RVP11 wrote:
L...O...L.
Not sure why this is funny. A DC Market consultant for laterals came to my school and explicitly stated firms were looking for a 3.5 for laterals unless the person had a significant book of business. She said while it didn't matter pre-crash, firms now use it to screen their potential laterals.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

pasteurizedmilk

Bronze

Post by pasteurizedmilk » Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:43 am

RVP11 wrote:
L...O...L.
I must've missed the joke. Strangely enough, this is true.

Weird field we're in.

Aberzombie1892

Gold

Post by Aberzombie1892 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:02 am

I feel comfortable saying that all firms with more than 10 attorneys will want to see your grades unless you have a massive family/client tie to the firm. The use of "all firms" here includes public interest law firms.

Most gov period will want to see them as well (city/state/fed).

Employers will want to see your transcript regardless of whether grades matter because they want to see what courses you took.

But then again, grades always matter.

Also - major law firm laterals have always needed to have excellent academic credentials (or prior big law firm experience) with the exception of a big book of business. I didn't realize it was ever different from that.

Julio_El_Chavo

Silver

Post by Julio_El_Chavo » Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:05 am

blowhard wrote:
RVP11 wrote:
L...O...L.
Not sure why this is funny. A DC Market consultant for laterals came to my school and explicitly stated firms were looking for a 3.5 for laterals unless the person had a significant book of business. She said while it didn't matter pre-crash, firms now use it to screen their potential laterals.
what school range?

OldManHunger

New

Post by OldManHunger » Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:28 am

Last edited by OldManHunger on Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:14 pm

PKSebben wrote:
RVP11 wrote:
L...O...L.
This is absolutely true.
But still funny.

Julio_El_Chavo

Silver

Post by Julio_El_Chavo » Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:16 pm

OldManHunger wrote:
Julio_El_Chavo wrote: what school range?
It probably doesn't matter nearly as much as you're thinking. Grades matter at every level. Someone above mentioned that OCS encourages sending out resumes without GPAs. But this isn't because the name of your school is enough to sell an employer. OCSs make this kind of suggestion out of wishful thinking--the OCS goal is to boost overall employment statistics. OCS would prefer a world where the median and low GPA students weren't beaten out by their high GPA counterparts. It's their mailing policy equivalent of a "no screening" policy at OCI. In reality, though, even at the top schools, employers care--and employers continue to care after graduation, too.
some schools don't even give out real grades

XxSpyKEx

Gold

Post by XxSpyKEx » Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:20 pm

Julio_El_Chavo wrote:
OldManHunger wrote:
It probably doesn't matter nearly as much as you're thinking. Grades matter at every level. Someone above mentioned that OCS encourages sending out resumes without GPAs. But this isn't because the name of your school is enough to sell an employer. OCSs make this kind of suggestion out of wishful thinking--the OCS goal is to boost overall employment statistics. OCS would prefer a world where the median and low GPA students weren't beaten out by their high GPA counterparts. It's their mailing policy equivalent of a "no screening" policy at OCI. In reality, though, even at the top schools, employers care--and employers continue to care after graduation, too.
Yeah, but the only schools that don't give out meaningful grades are Yale and Stanford; at Yale grades most likely don't matter that much. The rest of the schools that don't give out real grades you can still get a somewhat accurate picture of where the person falls in their class.

Julio_El_Chavo

Silver

Post by Julio_El_Chavo » Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:33 pm

XxSpyKEx wrote:
Julio_El_Chavo wrote:
OldManHunger wrote:
Yeah, but the only schools that don't give out meaningful grades are Yale and Stanford; at Yale grades most likely don't matter that much. The rest of the schools that don't give out real grades you can still get a somewhat accurate picture of where the person falls in their class.
LOL @ firms making lateral hiring decisions based on a "somewhat accurate picture" of where a person falls in their law school class.

Also, I understand rejecting someone for below median grades. But it seems a little ridiculous to take a 3.5 over a 3.46 when the entire difference between their GPAs could simply be attributed to the fact that the 3.46 took a few more classes which gave out all B+ grades to everyone.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:10 pm

Julio_El_Chavo wrote:
blowhard wrote:
RVP11 wrote:
L...O...L.
what school range?
Michigan. She deals with BigLaw transfers from T14 schools, transferring from BigLaw to BigLaw. Her GPA was what they look for from all T14 (that give grades).

To be clear it's not an absolute floor but a strong preference. They'll drop if you have substantial business or something special they want.

thexfactor

Silver

Post by thexfactor » Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:03 pm

just curious, what is 3.5 at michshitgan? top 1/3? 25%?

XxSpyKEx

Gold

Post by XxSpyKEx » Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:43 pm

Julio_El_Chavo wrote:
XxSpyKEx wrote:
Julio_El_Chavo wrote:
OldManHunger wrote: It probably doesn't matter nearly as much as you're thinking. Grades matter at every level. Someone above mentioned that OCS encourages sending out resumes without GPAs. But this isn't because the name of your school is enough to sell an employer. OCSs make this kind of suggestion out of wishful thinking--the OCS goal is to boost overall employment statistics. OCS would prefer a world where the median and low GPA students weren't beaten out by their high GPA counterparts. It's their mailing policy equivalent of a "no screening" policy at OCI. In reality, though, even at the top schools, employers care--and employers continue to care after graduation, too.
Also, I understand rejecting someone for below median grades. But it seems a little ridiculous to take a 3.5 over a 3.46 when the entire difference between their GPAs could simply be attributed to the fact that the 3.46 took a few more classes which gave out all B+ grades to everyone.
What the hell are you talking about?

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:23 pm

thexfactor wrote:just curious, what is 3.5 at michshitgan? top 1/3? 25%?
About top 25%

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

lisjjen

Silver

Post by lisjjen » Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:17 am

blowhard wrote:
About top 25%
Jesus Christ. This market makes me lose sleep sometimes, and I haven't even matriculated yet.

Julio_El_Chavo

Silver

Post by Julio_El_Chavo » Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:58 am

XxSpyKEx wrote:
What the hell are you talking about?
Oh, I was responding to the post about the 3.5 grade cutoff.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:19 am

My firm asked for updated transcripts. My 2L grades were horrendous. Got the offer and never heard anything about grades. Honestly, I'd be shocked if anyone on the hiring committee even looked at my grades.

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:02 am

lisjjen wrote:
blowhard wrote:
About top 25%
Jesus Christ. This market makes me lose sleep sometimes, and I haven't even matriculated yet.
This is what ONE LADY said about BigLaw to BigLaw lateral moves. And I'm sure someone with a 3.4 who's at a V10 would still be a better lateral candidate (for other BigLaw firms) than the 3.6 who's at a V50-V100. She probably just threw out some arbitrary "high" GPA.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”