In house competition Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
JSC4

New

In house competition

Post by JSC4 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:42 pm

So like most people, i would love to make the transition from big law to an inhouse position at a f500 one day but i was wondering how competetive it is to actually make this transition. Are there several qualified people who failed to make this transition after a few years in big law?
Note: i am aiming for f500 companies in major cities (NY,LA,etc.)

patrickd139

Gold

Re: In house competition

Post by patrickd139 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:32 am

1) I love the arbitrary criteria people on TLS place on projected career paths (i.e. Fortune 500 or AmLaw 100).

2) I seriously doubt there is empirical data assembled on what you're seeking out. therefore, be skeptical about whatever responses you get ITT as most of it will be anecdotal shit from 0Ls who have never set foot in a law school, much less a firm or Fortune 500 company.

jarofsoup

Gold

Post by jarofsoup » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:46 am

I worked as a temp legal staffer in an in house firm. The most randomness assortment of lawyers I have ever seen. It seems that the regionalness you find in big law you do not see as much in in house.

I guess you would want to find a market that has a lot of corporate offices in it.

arhmcpo

Bronze

Post by arhmcpo » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:51 am

I know at Toyota Transactional Div. they would not go outside T20 for hiring. This is relevant only in the fact that many biglaw peeps will not be from a T20 and would not be considered there unless there were exigent circumstances. i.e. There was 1 exception in the office, he went to BU, but had a unique background and fit a niche in the office.

gwuorbust

Gold

Post by gwuorbust » Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:32 pm

lateral hires in any market are about what you can do, not what school you went to.

if you are a baller lawyer, people will care what you know and specialize in. the problem is, if you go to a TTT and are working on DUI cases for 5 years, don't expect to be able to lateral to F500. you have to some expertise to be able to lateral - otherwise, why the fuck would they hire you?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”