Gov't or Nonprofit for 1L summer? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

I'm going to take your advice so pick in good faith & fair dealing

Department of Veterans Affairs
44%
Public Citizen - Congress Watch
56%

Total votes: 9

Anonymous User

Gov't or Nonprofit for 1L summer?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:13 pm

Ok I have to decide by tomorrow! I'm a 1L with median grades at a T20 school (...ranked 20).
Both internships are for credit only.

Department of Veterans Affairs = litigation, supporting the secretary in appeals (so mostly supporting denials for claims for disability) some of my own caseload, ct conferences, intense scary stuff
Public Citizen = forced arbitration clauses, consumer product liability, medical malpractice reform, one on one supporting atty

Personal things: PC is close to my boyfriend's work and is the floor above a chinese restaurant. My dad is a navy vet.

How much better is a government job?

Cupidity

Gold

Re: Gov't or Nonprofit for 1L summer?

Post by Cupidity » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:19 pm

Veterans affairs sounds like a better experience. Also, military often take care of their own. If you apply to enough positions, eventually someone reviewing your resume will be a vet or part of a military family, and the VA position could be a major boost.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:42 pm

do military take care of their own even when you're working to uphold denial of benefits to someone? or do I just keep that part a secret in the future?

jonas

Bronze

Post by jonas » Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:48 pm

I would pick Public Citizen in a heartbeat. The work will be more interesting and varied -- and a lot less depressing.

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:50 pm

I'd do Public Citizen but that's just what I'm more interest in personally. Either would be pretty interesting, I suspect.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:14 am

thanks everyone! hardest decision ever, worse than choosing a law school.
I ended up going with the VA because I felt there'd be more substantial legal experience (even though PC would be more interesting, better for the soul, and VA is probably a little bit of a mill... but a mill for 10 weeks is tolerable)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”