How Long is the Gap Between Finals and 1L Summer Work Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Stringer Bell

Gold

How Long is the Gap Between Finals and 1L Summer Work

Post by Stringer Bell » Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:27 pm

As of now I'm planning to get married between finals and whatever I wind up doing during post 1L summer and I'm wondering if this is feasible to pull off. How long is the gap between finishing finals and going to work? Immediate? One week? Two weeks?

IzziesGal

Silver

Re: How Long is the Gap Between Finals and 1L Summer Work

Post by IzziesGal » Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:29 pm

If you're interested at all in doing a law review write-on (assuming your school isn't grade on only), this is exactly when the write-on will take place. I think this is something to take into consideration. Your 1L summer job should let you pick your start date. For example, when I told mine that I needed to start after the write-on, they had no problem letting me start after Memorial Day Weekend. I can't imagine why an employer wouldn't do the same for your wedding.

Geist13

Silver

Post by Geist13 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:39 pm

yeah bad time to get hitched. The journal competition is important. Do it over a weekend during the summer, wait until the fall, or, as I suggest to everyone who thinks they want to get married, "wait three years."

Cupidity

Gold

Post by Cupidity » Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:40 pm

Finals end May 12, writing competition ends on the 18th, I secured a starting date of June 13. Most places want 10 full weeks, so I've cut myself down to a 2 day break at the end of summer in order to do it.

Geist13

Silver

Post by Geist13 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:43 pm

Cupidity wrote:Finals end May 12, writing competition ends on the 18th, I secured a starting date of June 13. Most places want 10 full weeks, so I've cut myself down to a 2 day break at the end of summer in order to do it.
5 days? Ours is a full two weeks.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

wiseowl

Silver

Post by wiseowl » Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:45 pm

Summary: Depends on school and summer job. Likely to be difficult to manage.

Gold

Post by 005618502 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:54 pm

Cupidity wrote:Finals end May 12, writing competition ends on the 18th, I secured a starting date of June 13. Most places want 10 full weeks, so I've cut myself down to a 2 day break at the end of summer in order to do it.
May 18th-----> June 13th should be PLENTY of time for a nice wedding and great honeymoon. Am i missing something?

Sup Kid

Silver

Post by Sup Kid » Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:11 pm

I think the OP is going to UVA based on some previous posts. If that's the case, the writing competition for UVA is in February/March (see --LinkRemoved--) and UVA's finals end around May 13th (http://www.law.virginia.edu/html/academ ... lendar.htm). Should be plenty of time to get married and then begin work the first or second week of June.

wiseowl

Silver

Post by wiseowl » Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:58 pm

AssumptionRequired wrote:
May 18th-----> June 13th should be PLENTY of time for a nice wedding and great honeymoon. Am i missing something?
Yes, namely that s/he's not the OP.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Gold

Post by 005618502 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:49 pm

wiseowl wrote:
AssumptionRequired wrote:
Yes, namely that s/he's not the OP.
But the dates wont be rather similar?

D.Wilde

Bronze

Post by D.Wilde » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:28 pm

My 1L job started 3 days after my writing competition ended, and my start date was not flexible.

I'm also engaged, and my fiance and I have decided to wait until after law school to get hitched. For reference, we've been engaged since Dec. 2008.

Personally, I'd rather have the time to have an awesome wedding than rush to squeeze it into the crazy law school timeline.

dudders

Bronze

Post by dudders » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:34 pm

Breaks really depend on what kind of job you have (and where you go to school). I go to GW, we're done with finals April 29th and our writing competition was over spring break, so a 1L here would be almost guaranteed to be able to accommodate a May wedding. Some internships (typically larger/more formal employers) have a structured program with defined start/end dates, but I think I only know one person who had no say in the matter. I'm still waiting for my security clearance and don't even know when I'm starting, but I can't imagine it'd be earlier than the 2nd or 3rd week of May. (Most people are taking at least 2-3 weeks off unless they're splitting or studying abroad too or something). A lot of employers are also flexible because schools start/end at different times, and I'm pretty sure employers won't really be upset that you're getting married if you want to start a week later.

3ThrowAway99

Gold

Post by 3ThrowAway99 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:41 pm

dudders wrote:really depend(s)
yep.

I'm starting mine a couple days after classes are scheduled to end, but I think some people will have 2-4 weeks off (There are some positions that I am aware of that start around mid-June). But I don't think you can count on having more than a few days off unless you already know what your job is.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Gold

Post by 005618502 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:30 pm

How much time do you have between graduation and starting a job? Is there time to get married after graduation because you are supposed to be studying for the bar or...?

Sorry for the 0L question

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:32 pm

Sup Kid wrote:I think the OP is going to UVA based on some previous posts. If that's the case, the writing competition for UVA is in February/March (see --LinkRemoved--) and UVA's finals end around May 13th (http://www.law.virginia.edu/html/academ ... lendar.htm). Should be plenty of time to get married and then begin work the first or second week of June.
This is true.

IzziesGal

Silver

Post by IzziesGal » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:20 pm

I think waiting to get married until after law school is a little dramatic, personally. Not every year is as crazy as 1L. And it's frankly never a good time to plan for a wedding (or a baby for that matter). Life is always going to happen, you're always going to be busy, and there's always going to be an excuse to put things off. I know a few people who got married and/or had babies during law school - it can be done. Not saying it's for everyone (some people might find it way too stressful, and that's understandable), just saying that you don't have to abandon your plans because of law school.

Stanford4Me

Platinum

Post by Stanford4Me » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:26 pm

Employer required me to start ASAP. Last final is on 17th, employment starts 23rd. It really depends on where you're working. I think most paces are a little more flexible than mine.

Borhas

Platinum

www.top-law-schools.com

Post by Borhas » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:30 pm

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”