Ladies...I have a question about appropriate suit colors Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
HWS08

Bronze

Ladies...I have a question about appropriate suit colors

Post by HWS08 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:22 pm

I want to buy a new skirt suit for the summer, but I want to make sure it is one I can wear for my current job as well as a 1L/2L summer job. Is ecru an acceptable color for summer dress at most law firms? I currently have mostly black and khaki/tan suits, so I'd like to mix it up a bit.

Here's a link to the jacket http://www.anntaylor.com/catalog/produc ... osell=Ecru and skirt http://www.anntaylor.com/catalog/produc ... osell=Ecru I am considering buying.

Thanks!

viking138

Bronze

Re: Ladies...I have a question about appropriate suit colors

Post by viking138 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:27 pm

I don't think ecru should be an issue at all. I spoke with a partner at a V10 firm when she spoke on professionalism and she said that so long as you are not wearing things with big patterns or short/low cut, you should be fine (obviously changing for court or clients). However, the skirt says "Golden Texture" and I would be careful that it isn't glittery in any way.

HWS08

Bronze

Post by HWS08 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:35 pm

viking138 wrote:I don't think ecru should be an issue at all. I spoke with a partner at a V10 firm when she spoke on professionalism and she said that so long as you are not wearing things with big patterns or short/low cut, you should be fine (obviously changing for court or clients). However, the skirt says "Golden Texture" and I would be careful that it isn't glittery in any way.
Yikes, I'm not sure what golden texture means. I'm going to go check it out in person instead of ordering it online. Thanks!

DCDuck

Bronze

Post by DCDuck » Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:01 pm

While we're on it, what about a dark red suit? Or are those only appropriate for female Republican politicians, rather than a law office?

Sinra

Bronze

Post by Sinra » Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:34 pm

I don't know how true this is across biglaw but I have a friend who worked at a V5 for about 5 years. She said that women ought to stick to dark suits only. She said that she was seriously told that a light suit (gray, tan) would be construed as being "unserious." I've only ever seen her in dark colored suits--black, navy etc. FWIW. It scared me!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

HWS08

Bronze

Post by HWS08 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:36 pm

Sinra wrote:I don't know how true this is across biglaw but I have a friend who worked at a V5 for about 5 years. She said that women ought to stick to dark suits only. She said that she was seriously told that a light suit (gray, tan) would be construed as being "unserious." I've only ever seen her in dark colored suits--black, navy etc. FWIW. It scared me!
Well that's annoying. I can't believe that tan or light gray would be considered "unserious." I guess I'd better play it safe and stick with dark suits until I get a real post-law school job and can feel out the way other people dress at the firm.

DCDuck, I guess your red suit is out too!

Verity

Silver

Post by Verity » Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:37 pm

Why don't these idiots publish a dress code, so that we don't start off feeling beautiful and end up feeling "unserious"?

Sinra

Bronze

Post by Sinra » Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:44 pm

HWS08 wrote:
Sinra wrote:I don't know how true this is across biglaw but I have a friend who worked at a V5 for about 5 years. She said that women ought to stick to dark suits only. She said that she was seriously told that a light suit (gray, tan) would be construed as being "unserious." I've only ever seen her in dark colored suits--black, navy etc. FWIW. It scared me!
Well that's annoying. I can't believe that tan or light gray would be considered "unserious." I guess I'd better play it safe and stick with dark suits until I get a real post-law school job and can feel out the way other people dress at the firm.

DCDuck, I guess your red suit is out too!
Yeah I asked her because I was wondering what the standard dress code is and she told me that it sounds insane but it's true. That they would look down on a woman wearing light colored suits because it's flighty. Also, that most biglaw places (at least in her experience) preferred skirt suits only as well. I don't get it myself but she scared me into only buying dark suits(skirt) for interviews for any law-related stuff. I mean, I'm sure it varies across firms but that was her experience. I wish they'd publish a dress code too so that we'd know and dress appropriately.

Sinra

Bronze

Post by Sinra » Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:47 pm

Verity wrote:Why don't these idiots publish a dress code, so that we don't start off feeling beautiful and end up feeling "unserious"?
You know what else bugs? It seems like women have to wear some kind of accessories--small earrings or whatever. I hate accessories. Of all kinds. I wear my wedding ring (band) only and that's all I like to wear. I feel like a monkey in a suit with posts on. If I'm going to wear earrings I prefer hoops or dangly ones.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

istara

Bronze

Post by istara » Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:53 pm

Sinra wrote: You know what else bugs? It seems like women have to wear some kind of accessories--small earrings or whatever. I hate accessories. Of all kinds. I wear my wedding ring (band) only and that's all I like to wear. I feel like a monkey in a suit with posts on. If I'm going to wear earrings I prefer hoops or dangly ones.
Is this common? My ears aren't even pierced and I don't own any jewelry beyond the plastic stuff my former (5-10 year old) students have given to me. I'm already struggling with the idea of wearing heals regularly and buying an acceptable suit. Do I need to add this to the list also?

Sinra

Bronze

Post by Sinra » Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:59 pm

istara wrote:
Sinra wrote: You know what else bugs? It seems like women have to wear some kind of accessories--small earrings or whatever. I hate accessories. Of all kinds. I wear my wedding ring (band) only and that's all I like to wear. I feel like a monkey in a suit with posts on. If I'm going to wear earrings I prefer hoops or dangly ones.
Is this common? My ears aren't even pierced and I don't own any jewelry beyond the plastic stuff my former (5-10 year old) students have given to me. I'm already struggling with the idea of wearing heals regularly and buying an acceptable suit. Do I need to add this to the list also?
Again, I'm not sure how common it is. I went to this friend for advice for an internship interview and these are the tips she gave me. I wore no earrings and she told me that I "should" as it looks odd to not have any jewelry on at all. She even suggested a lady-like watch. I am also struggling with the heels situation and need to learn how to wear those properly. Good times. And wearing a suit makes me feel like a stuffed animal. Again, it might depend on the firm but these were the rules at the V5-V15s she's worked at.

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:09 pm

I don't think jewelry is really necessary, but you need to make sure the rest of your outfit looks very polished and put-together. I think it's not so much that the jewelry itself is important, it's that it's sort of the finishing touch to a look - but if your suit, heels, hair, etc. look great, I don't think lack of jewelry is a big deal. I do wear small earrings, but I'll never wear a watch/bracelet/necklace/etc. because I don't care for them.

I'd probably also stay away from the red suit. From what I gather, it's just best to blend in and not be noticeable, and red is a very aggressive and noticeable color.

^none of this is from experience in the legal field, it's just my personal opinion.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:39 pm

From my experience and what I've heard, dark OR gray suits (assuming the gray is not too light) are ok for women, but we should stay away from anything lighter--tan, white, etc. And by dark I mean black or navy, not dark red, green, or whatever. I personally think that tan suits look nice too, but I don't own any since I've been warned against them.

As for jewelry, I personally think that as long as you're wearing either earrings or a necklace, you're fine. If you have none on at all, it might look like you're missing something. And I don't think that the earrings necessarily need to be posts. Small dangling ones or thin hoops are probably fine too.

I don't purport to speak for everyone, of course, haha. This is just what I've gathered from several sources.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

jml8756

Bronze

Post by jml8756 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:05 pm

I think career services should not be ashamed about holding mandatory events during 1L orientation that are specifically focused on appropriate career wear. A lot of people won't need it because they've figured it out and that's fine. But I have seen students who would definitely benefit from a little "What Not to Wear" treatment. It's better just to be told straight up then to show up at an event wearing something totally inappropriate for the situation.

In response to the specific suit color question...I think darker colors are more traditional and versatile, but the "no light colors whatsoever" view is probably a minority opinion. If you were only going to own one or two suits I would say stick to black/navy/dark gray, but if you have several then one light gray or tan would be OK for variety. Personally, I think any of the Ann Taylor suit colors would be appropriate.

jowa504

New

Post by jowa504 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:04 pm

Any thoughts on this color grey suit for OCI?

http://www.anntaylor.com/ann/product/AT ... tedProduct

I have a black one that I'll probably go with but would like to have a second backup just in case (I wanted a charcoal grey but couldn't find anything during the summer).

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”