torn - new york or dc? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

torn - new york or dc?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:46 am

so i'm a 1L at nyu and i am trying to get my thoughts together for 2L - thinking about where to bid and such. i can't decide if i should concentrate my bids in new york or dc so i figured i would ask for some outside opinions.

i want to do litigation, probably white collar defense. i have very little interest in transactional work. i'm a native new yorker and i absolutely love it here, but being that i now attend law school in my hometown i want to get out of the city for a bit. that being said, i would not like to shut the door on moving back to manhattan in a few years. is it going to really hurt me in the dc job search that my ties are so heavily rooted in new york city? note also that i am right at the median - assuming my grades don't go up this spring. are my chances at getting the best firm i possibly can for litigation really all grounded in new york? considering my grades and my nyc ties, would my bids be wasted on dc? if i do move to dc, what are the chances that i can easily move back to new york at some point in the not-too-unforeseeable future? i'm scared that if i start my career in new york, i will never live in another city for a portion of my life.

my biggest fear is getting shut out of either market because i'm at the median. i do have a feeling that because i go to nyu and was born and raised in nyc that my better job prospects are going to be in new york. i'd rather put the majority of my bids on one city and then a few backups in the other in order to maximize my chances in one city. i'd like to make this decision now rather than attempting to get an offer in both cities and then choosing. is there anything else i should be taking into account here? thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Kohinoor

Gold

Re: torn - new york or dc?

Post by Kohinoor » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:note also that i am right at the median - assuming my grades don't go up this spring. are my chances at getting the best firm i possibly can for litigation really all grounded in new york? considering my grades and my nyc ties, would my bids be wasted on dc?
Yes.

spondee

Bronze

Post by spondee » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:17 pm

NYU 2L --

I got the sense DC isn't much dependent on ties, but it's very competitive--lots of regulatory and appellate work, so lots of high achievers from all the best schools. Your grades will be the problem.

What I'd recommend: use 35–40 bids on NY and then 10–15 on DC. Then add additional interviews through last-minute sign-up, by stopping by suites during EIW, and by emailing your resume (start early). You should be able to get about 30 interviews easy.

Your grades will probably shut you out of DC, but it's no guarantee, so you might as well try. You'll likely be fine for NY. Trust the info from OCS--they can really help--just don't expect them to get you the job.

Also, you'll have plenty of time to worry about this after finals and after the journal competition, so no need to worry now.

wiseowl

Silver

Post by wiseowl » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:21 pm

You seem to be the prototypical case for NY. There's absolutely no reason for you to try for DC.

gradesmatter

New

Post by gradesmatter » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:33 pm

You have a much better shot landing something in NY than you do in DC.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:59 pm

G. T. L. Rev. wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:note also that i am right at the median - assuming my grades don't go up this spring. are my chances at getting the best firm i possibly can for litigation really all grounded in new york? considering my grades and my nyc ties, would my bids be wasted on dc?
Yes.
+1
As an NYUer who spent last summer in DC, I'd add a another +1.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:42 am

OP here - thanks for the replies. guess i'll be focusing on nyc. makes the most sense.

lock1

New

Post by lock1 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:08 am

NY will be best go for it....

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:12 pm

I am 2L at NYU with median or slightly above. I had 2 DC offers. Not from the top firms there, but they were legit. I only did about 4 DC interviews at EIW (some added last minute), so that's not a bad ratio. If I were you, I would add 10-20 DC interviews with firms (and make sure to not just include top DC firms) that do what you want to do so you have that option. Focusing in NY will give you a better chance. You may end up in situation like I did: better offers in NY but some DC. Then you can choose what you care about most. Don't rule DC out entirely. I have a few connections there but it did not seem to matter much. People who say median NYU can't get DC are flat out wrong. I did.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

vamedic03

Gold

Post by vamedic03 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I am 2L at NYU with median or slightly above. I had 2 DC offers. Not from the top firms there, but they were legit. I only did about 4 DC interviews at EIW (some added last minute), so that's not a bad ratio. If I were you, I would add 10-20 DC interviews with firms (and make sure to not just include top DC firms) that do what you want to do so you have that option. Focusing in NY will give you a better chance. You may end up in situation like I did: better offers in NY but some DC. Then you can choose what you care about most. Don't rule DC out entirely. I have a few connections there but it did not seem to matter much. People who say median NYU can't get DC are flat out wrong. I did.
I don't think anyone is saying that median at NYU can't get DC, it's just that the odds are stacked against you. The general consensus, from across the T14, has been that all DC firms have been very competitive these past few years. You certainly did well, but it's quite possible that you are the outlier.

It's ok to bid DC, just don't over do it.

clintonius

Silver

Post by clintonius » Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I am 2L at NYU with median or slightly above. I had 2 DC offers. Not from the top firms there, but they were legit. I only did about 4 DC interviews at EIW (some added last minute), so that's not a bad ratio. If I were you, I would add 10-20 DC interviews with firms (and make sure to not just include top DC firms) that do what you want to do so you have that option. Focusing in NY will give you a better chance. You may end up in situation like I did: better offers in NY but some DC. Then you can choose what you care about most. Don't rule DC out entirely. I have a few connections there but it did not seem to matter much. People who say median NYU can't get DC are flat out wrong. I did.
Would you be willing to give more info via PM? I'm a 1L at NYU interested in DC and would be curious to hear more, though I understand if you'd prefer to remain anonymous.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”