Gambling Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
gwuorbust

Gold

Re: Gambling

Post by gwuorbust » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:38 pm

fletchcon wrote:What about someone who works for one of the poker companies recently indicted?
Could this be an issue when it comes to the character and fitness evaluation?
by that you mean Wal*Mart, CVS, Bank of America, Goldman...

edit: entire Forbes 500 list

companies are indicted all the time. unless you are charged or were directly linked to the illegal activity, probably nobody is going to care. now if you did do some sketchy stuff while there and C&F finds out about it you are going to have to do some explaining to do. but if you did nothing illegal, you shouldn't be worried.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:58 am

Hmmmm, so I've made it a little more obvious that I gambled in the past. I made money playing poker in 2010, so felt it was my rightful duty to report it on my taxes. Does the bar look at past tax returns? I mean even if they do, it's not necessarily illegal (hooray for legal grey areas???), so not sure if it would be a big deal, but just wondering.

fletchcon

New

Post by fletchcon » Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:50 am

gwuorbust wrote:
fletchcon wrote:What about someone who works for one of the poker companies recently indicted?
Could this be an issue when it comes to the character and fitness evaluation?
by that you mean Wal*Mart, CVS, Bank of America, Goldman...

edit: entire Forbes 500 list

companies are indicted all the time. unless you are charged or were directly linked to the illegal activity, probably nobody is going to care. now if you did do some sketchy stuff while there and C&F finds out about it you are going to have to do some explaining to do. but if you did nothing illegal, you shouldn't be worried.
I guess the difference is that you could work for any of those companies without knowing about possible illegal activities. The indictment specifically mentions providing illegal online gambling services. You can't really work for an online poker company without knowing they provide online poker services! Whether they're really illegal or not is the big question I suppose

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”