Council on American Islamic Relations - Future Implications? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Council on American Islamic Relations - Future Implications?

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:47 pm

Posting on behalf of a buddy who's a 1L at a T25. She recently got an offer from CAIR for the summer, and now has to decide whether to take that or an in-house job in the midwest. I don't know enough about CAIR to know whether there would be negative "political" implications for future employment (apparently there have been allegations of terrorist ties, and it looks like the federal government doesn't deal with CAIR anymore because of this).

Thoughts?

anonymcoffee

Bronze

Re: Council on American Islamic Relations - Future Implications?

Post by anonymcoffee » Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:46 pm

I know that legal jobs are better than nothing during the summer but if the government won't even touch it ...that sounds shady. I probably would get something more "legit" and that won't raise eyebrows. I remember some kid here was thinking about working for a marijuana legalization org and the advice was to consider impact of it before accepting.

Moxie

Silver

Post by Moxie » Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:24 am

CAIR does not = marijuana legalization group.

I'm pretty sure a District Court ruled that CAIR was unfairly criticized for those donations. This seems like a situation where the concerned student should talk to their CSO, but the CAIR has been a legitimate organization for quite some time and I can't imagine firms/legal organizations would disparage someone for interning there.

Edit: http://www.politico.com/blogs/joshgerst ... ml?showall

anonymcoffee

Bronze

Post by anonymcoffee » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:57 am

I'm sticking to my first answer - the very fact that there are news articles about legal issues/funds and courts are involved I would try to find something else. You don't know who will be interviewing you and their beliefs on the matter.

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:32 pm

It won't hurt. No government office is going to blink at seeing it on a resume, and civil-libertarian groups will like it. Private employers won't likely give an eff either, unless of course you run into a bigoted interviewer who doesn't like Muslims, but that's not a reason to avoid an interesting job.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

baboon309

Bronze

Post by baboon309 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:07 pm

Renzo wrote:It won't hurt. No government office is going to blink at seeing it on a resume, and civil-libertarian groups will like it. Private employers won't likely give an eff either, unless of course you run into a bigoted interviewer who doesn't like Muslims, but that's not a reason to avoid an interesting job.
There are many of those interviewers in this country.

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:08 pm

baboon309 wrote:
Renzo wrote:It won't hurt. No government office is going to blink at seeing it on a resume, and civil-libertarian groups will like it. Private employers won't likely give an eff either, unless of course you run into a bigoted interviewer who doesn't like Muslims, but that's not a reason to avoid an interesting job.
There are many of those interviewers in this country.
True, but what are you going to do about that? Make every applicant white dood who was in a frat?

Borhas

Platinum

www.top-law-schools.com

Post by Borhas » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:12 am

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”