How to approach a professor for an RA position? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

How to approach a professor for an RA position?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:45 pm

1L here... I have some applications in firms, unpaid internships and externships, but I'd like to secure at least a part-time RA position in case nothing pans out. It's also getting late in the semester. I want to ask one of my professors from last semester, but I haven't talked to him since.

Is it OK to send him an email expressing an interest in his practice and ask him if he needs any help with research? Or should I send him an email saying I'd like to discuss the area of law, and pop the question in person?

Also, would it be rude to tell him later that I may not accept his offer if he extends one?

Sigh, what do people do when there are no legal jobs for the summer?

weee

Bronze

Re: How to approach a professor for an RA position?

Post by weee » Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:51 pm

It would have been a lot better if you had planned ahead for this contingency, but you are probably better off trying to ask in person than through e-mail.

Edit: The library will probably provide the prof with someone if you didn't come through, but it really depends on what you would do instead. Profs should be pretty understanding of the legal market students are facing right now, and if they are not then that relationship probably won't be as helpful to you anyway.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”