Good looks a plus? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
fathergoose

Silver

Re: Good looks a plus?

Post by fathergoose » Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:02 pm

classix wrote:The school has good connections and relatively promising future for me, but I do wonder if there is something better to do...like maybe just GTFO and go live in costa rica or something.
If you financially can afford it, go to costa rica for a year. Life is too short. Once you go to law school and take on debt you have to make decisions based on the debt and not what you want to do.

I kind of regret not taking an opportunity to live in Australia for a year before going to law school.

classix

New

Post by classix » Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:13 pm

fathergoose wrote:
classix wrote:The school has good connections and relatively promising future for me, but I do wonder if there is something better to do...like maybe just GTFO and go live in costa rica or something.
If you financially can afford it, go to costa rica for a year. Life is too short. Once you go to law school and take on debt you have to make decisions based on the debt and not what you want to do.

I kind of regret not taking an opportunity to live in Australia for a year before going to law school.
I've thought about this.

That being said, what happens to your debt when you go abroad, if I went ahead with LS anyway?

flcath

Silver

Post by flcath » Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:56 pm

keg411 wrote:
fathergoose wrote:Also I think it depends a lot on Gender. Physical attractiveness would be much more beneficial for a female than it would be for a male I think. Girls are logical enough not to hire someone of the opposite sex based on their attractiveness. I do not have the same faith in men.
I'm a girl, and I vote "ugly at a T6". Make $$$, get plastic surgery FTW :D

If I were hot, I'd rather be a model/actress/socialite/trophy wife than go to a TTT/TTTT lawl skool and rack up $150k in debt and lose my "marriage material" status.
Omg, are you serious?

Looks >> academic pedigree, for males.

Looks >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> academic pedigree, for females.

I won't get into the reasons for this, b/c it upsets feminists (and, hey, maybe they're right: life's not fair), but a dowdy CLS grad is "some lawyer hag" that no man wants and no woman envies.

bport hopeful

Gold

Post by bport hopeful » Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:59 pm

I think that there is a social motif that you have hit on and that maybe some people truly dont recognize, but IRL, beauty is prized and coveted.

Im not going to lie, idc how cool a girl is, if shes really ugly, its just not going to work out.

Thats the dirty truth for most people. Good or bad.

TatNurner

Bronze

Post by TatNurner » Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:37 pm

Regarding the ease of life for the beautiful, if you were a ten would you really appreciate how easy your life is?

If you were beautiful you would just know the life you've always had and wouldn't truly know how much harder life is for the less attractive, so in a way the baseline would be the same. That is, you would still feel the same way about the difficulty of your life the way that your less beautiful friends feel about theirs.

I hope that makes sense?

To use an easier parallel: Those who are rich, dont truly appreciate how much harder life is for the poor, and feel that their problems are just as bad. Whereas a poor person who became rich would likely find rich problems nothing compared to the problems they had when poor. So in a way, no matter how much you have you will always feel crappy, unless you move between stages. I.e. from ugly to hot or from poor to rich.

Thoughts?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

girlonfire

Bronze

Post by girlonfire » Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:42 pm

f7u12 wrote:This thread hurts my brain.
+1000000000

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:56 pm

f7u12 wrote:This thread hurts my brain.
This thread makes me want to not have kids. Ever.

TatNurner

Bronze

Post by TatNurner » Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:59 pm

Those slamming the thread --> Is it because you think discussion is assinine or because you are disillusioned by the dynamics of human interactions? Or a weird combo of both?

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:05 pm

TatNurner wrote:Those slamming the thread --> Is it because you think discussion is assinine or because you are disillusioned by the dynamics of human interactions? Or a weird combo of both?
I am slamming it, because I like the clicks my keyboard makes as I type this stuff.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

TatNurner

Bronze

Post by TatNurner » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:06 pm

f7u12 wrote:
TatNurner wrote:Those slamming the thread --> Is it because you think discussion is assinine or because you are disillusioned by the dynamics of human interactions? Or a weird combo of both?
It's because I think most of you are retards.
Ok, well I genuinely want to hear your opinion. Please show us the way.

TatNurner

Bronze

Post by TatNurner » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:22 pm

:lol:

No, that's easy enough. The thread moved beyond that a while back. I thought we were more in the more general area of whether being beautiful is that much more of an advantage in life, especially when weighed against intelligence, and which one people would rather have etc.

I think that's way more interesting than the original question of this thread.

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:24 pm

jesus christ, this site even has built-in spellcheck. u colorblind?

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:34 pm

Guys, does being able to walk help with crossing streets? I really think we could have a productive debate on this issue.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:41 pm

dresden doll wrote:Guys, does being able to walk help with crossing streets? I really think we could have a productive debate on this issue.
Segway. /thread.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:49 pm

flcath wrote:Omg, are you serious?

Looks >> academic pedigree, for males.

Looks >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> academic pedigree, for females.

I won't get into the reasons for this, b/c it upsets feminists (and, hey, maybe they're right: life's not fair), but a dowdy CLS grad is "some lawyer hag" that no man wants and no woman envies.
My point is that if I was THAT hot, I wouldn't waste my time spending $150k on a TTTT. I'd just go out to bars in NYC and find some i-banker, get married and end up on Real Housewives of Wherever. If I were hot and had $200k debt to Cooley, that would make me significantly less attractive because of the debt burden, plus the stain of Cooley.

If I was ugly and went to Yale, I would make $$$$ and get plastic surgery/a personal trainer to make me not-ugly. By the end, I'd have a Yale degree, a prestigious job and be attractive enough to get some aspie guy to put a ring on it.

deathviaboredom

Bronze

Post by deathviaboredom » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I think my appearance has hurt me more than helped tbh. I'm short, skinny, & blonde-- not model gorgeous by any stretch but above average. In my experience, if a woman is doing the hiring my looks never help and sometimes hurt me. If a man is doing the hiring it's 50/50-- half the time it helps and half the time it hurts because sometimes I can tell they instantly do not take me seriously the minute I walk into the room. I literally try and make myself look as plain as possible when I go on interviews now. I'm sure it is different for guys though.
Oh. Poor thing. It must be so hard for you to be good looking. *rolls eyes*

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:58 pm

f7u12 wrote: :|
In real life, I'm way closer to "ugly" than "hot" and spending $60k to attend what's basically a TTT. So yeah.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:33 pm

deathviaboredom wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I think my appearance has hurt me more than helped tbh. I'm short, skinny, & blonde-- not model gorgeous by any stretch but above average. In my experience, if a woman is doing the hiring my looks never help and sometimes hurt me. If a man is doing the hiring it's 50/50-- half the time it helps and half the time it hurts because sometimes I can tell they instantly do not take me seriously the minute I walk into the room. I literally try and make myself look as plain as possible when I go on interviews now. I'm sure it is different for guys though.
I don't know. I can relate to this person, because I have certainly had interviewers not take me seriously, in my case, in part because my voice can veer toward high pitched, especially if I'm nervous. Years of singing. Before LS, I never thought that much about how it might make people perceive me. A woman interviewing for a legal position is going to get judged on her gravitas, like it or not, and I don't think being young and blonde (or checking off anything that might feed a stereotype) helps matters. At the very least, the onus is on the student to work that much harder to counterbalance it.

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:40 pm

deathviaboredom wrote:
'Tis a heavy burden, my friend.

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:08 pm

f7u12 wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:
deathviaboredom wrote:
I don't know. I can relate to this person, because I have certainly had interviewers not take me seriously, in my case, in part because my voice can veer toward high pitched, especially if I'm nervous. Years of singing. Before LS, I never thought that much about how it might make people perceive me. A woman interviewing for a legal position is going to get judged on her gravitas, like it or not, and I don't think being young and blonde (or checking off anything that might feed a stereotype) helps matters. At the very least, the onus is on the student to work that much harder to counterbalance it.
Holly sounds like a jailbait phone sex operator and she's doing just fine.
I said in part, because I wondered about it. It was mentioned to me after an interview. However, I should be on track to get where I need to go. I suspect it's a "sum of the parts" issue for a lot of people, involving their resumes as well. I know my pre-LS background disqualified me from some jobs, but that was something I knew to expect, and obviously related to my own career and academic choices. I only take issue with blatant stereotyping where it exists, because people don't get to choose their physicality, generally speaking. If a position does not involve appearance/physicality (IE: not a modeling/acting job), it shouldn't matter, end of story.

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:14 pm

--ImageRemoved--

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:18 pm

If hiring partners really try to get attractive people, yes. If hiring partners really try to get unattractive people, no.

Holly Golightly

Gold

Post by Holly Golightly » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:24 pm

f7u12 wrote: Holly sounds like a jailbait phone sex operator and she's doing just fine.
Still can't believe I got people to take me seriously on phone interviews. :lol:

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:29 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:
f7u12 wrote: Holly sounds like a jailbait phone sex operator and she's doing just fine.
Still can't believe I got people to take me seriously on phone interviews. :lol:
I know the feeling. I never even thought to be self conscious about it until fairly recently (one more thing to think of and worry about, lol), but I am glad your interviews went well!

existenz

Silver

Post by existenz » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:34 pm

If there was one thing Ms. Tulip despised, it was the Ugly People. This was her term for the 99.8% of the human population who were less attractive than she. Ms. Tulip was surrounded by them: her friends, family, customers, coworkers, and even her boyfriends. She’d once been to a fashion show in New York City and met some of her peers in beauty; it was the highlight of her life. Other than that blissful day, she’s lived in captivity amongst the Ugly People, these sickly creatures with bad skin and frizzy hair and uneven alignment of the facial bone structure.

... Ms. Tulip, who could care less about pharmaceuticals, was working on an entirely different project: a case control study on the social anthropology of Ugly People. As much as she loathed these creatures, she was fascinated by them. She needed to understand how they thought, how they found happiness (if any), how they went about their daily lives without killing themselves.

During the initial phases of her study, Ms. Tulip disguised herself as an Ugly Person and went undercover into the world. She didn’t bathe for an entire day, she put her silky brown hair in ponytail with an ugly scrunchie, she wore no makeup, she used contacts that turned her green eyes into an unappealing shade of hazel, and she wore a second-hand hoodie she bought at a thrift store.

The experience was shocking.

While walking to Dupont Circle, only three men stopped their cars to talk with her. At Starbucks she was recruited for a modeling shoot for Marie Claire, a far more pedestrian gig than her typical offers from the likes of Vogue and Harper’s Bazaar. On the subway only a single homeless man sang a song for her; normally two or three would take turns while refusing her attempts to give them money. For dinner, she was not placed in a prime window seat and her meal was not paid for by the manager. Instead, the waiter gave her a measly free dessert with a wink. At a night club she reached the bar before a few men offered her drinks; normally she’d be handed a martini within five feet of the doorway. A brawl did not break out between men who wanted to dance with her.

What a cruel, cruel world the Ugly People lived in!

Ms. Tulip needed to know more. She needed to penetrate the façade of the Ugly People’s existence, to get beyond the plastic smiles of the men and the wandering eyes of the women. Dr. Jackie told her they weren’t all bad, some of them were good despite their horrific deformities. But Ms. Tulip couldn’t believe this. “Ugly is as ugly looks” she would think to herself while watching them go about their miserable lives.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”