The REAL 9 mo Employment Rate Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Saiith

New

The REAL 9 mo Employment Rate

Post by Saiith » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:31 pm

Okay, so I recently discovered that law schools inflate their employment after 9 mo numbers using a variety of techniques. First of all, they count any position (you could be a barista for example) as 'employment'. To compound this problem they give no indication of what percentage of the class actually winds up in the legal industry. Finally, they apparently get these numbers from voluntary questionnaires, so that they of course get a skewed sample of respondants, namely those that aren't ashamed of the fact that they're unemployed 9 months out.

I'm wondering if anyone on these forums, particularly those graduating from top law firms (T14++) can speak from personal experience to what the real numbers are. In other words, could anyone who's graduated from these colleges recently make an estimation of what percentage of their classmates were actually employed by serious law firms within 9 months of graduating (not just BigLaw, but employed as a lawyer nonetheless)?

Thanks in advance for the information.

Cupidity

Gold

Re: The REAL 9 mo Employment Rate

Post by Cupidity » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:34 pm

Saiith wrote:Okay, so I recently discovered that law schools inflate their employment after 9 mo numbers using a variety of techniques.
What rock have you been under?

fundamentallybroken

Silver

Post by fundamentallybroken » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:34 pm

Saiith wrote:Okay, so I recently discovered that law schools inflate their employment after 9 mo numbers using a variety of techniques. First of all, they count any position (you could be a barista for example) as 'employment'. To compound this problem they give no indication of what percentage of the class actually winds up in the legal industry. Finally, they apparently get these numbers from voluntary questionnaires, so that they of course get a skewed sample of respondants, namely those that aren't ashamed of the fact that they're unemployed 9 months out.

I'm wondering if anyone on these forums, particularly those graduating from top law firms (T14++) can speak from personal experience to what the real numbers are. In other words, could anyone who's graduated from these colleges recently make an estimation of what percentage of their classmates were actually employed by serious law firms within 9 months of graduating (not just BigLaw, but employed as a lawyer nonetheless)?

Interesting observation. I myself have recently discovered that the sky is blue, water is wet, and the search function on TLS is useful for finding the hundreds of other threads on this subject.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:38 pm

While the class of 2010 (the most recent class) data isn't available in this format, the class of 2009 is:

http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... 1&t=150681

You have employment broken down by whether it is a law firm or not, part time or full time, etc.

The categories to be wary of are unemployed/unknown (obviously), seeking additional degree (these could be kids who are just doing LLMs or another grad degree because they couldn't find a job), and business (this could be the baristas). Also, the percentage of part time is also of note because some of those working at firms are contract attorneys rather than associates.

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:39 pm

fundamentallybroken wrote: Interesting observation. I myself have recently discovered that the sky is blue, water is wet, and the search function on TLS is useful for finding the hundreds of other threads on this subject.
This should become a mechanical auto-response.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Stanford4Me

Platinum

Post by Stanford4Me » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:40 pm

Glad you did your research and found this out. Check out this website, it's a project that is trying to pressure law schools to change the way they report employment data.

http://www.lawschooltransparency.com/

Saiith

New

Post by Saiith » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:41 pm

fundamentallybroken wrote:
Saiith wrote:Okay, so I recently discovered that law schools inflate their employment after 9 mo numbers using a variety of techniques. First of all, they count any position (you could be a barista for example) as 'employment'. To compound this problem they give no indication of what percentage of the class actually winds up in the legal industry. Finally, they apparently get these numbers from voluntary questionnaires, so that they of course get a skewed sample of respondants, namely those that aren't ashamed of the fact that they're unemployed 9 months out.

Interesting observation. I myself have recently discovered that the sky is blue, water is wet, and the search function on TLS is useful for finding the hundreds of other threads on this subject.
It is interesting right? You might also be interested to know that I discovered that this forum is infested with bored, unoriginal and pretentious trolls.

Saiith

New

Post by Saiith » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:42 pm

bk187 wrote:While the class of 2010 (the most recent class) data isn't available in this format, the class of 2009 is:

http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... 1&t=150681

You have employment broken down by whether it is a law firm or not, part time or full time, etc.

The categories to be wary of are unemployed/unknown (obviously), seeking additional degree (these could be kids who are just doing LLMs or another grad degree because they couldn't find a job), and business (this could be the baristas). Also, the percentage of part time is also of note because some of those working at firms are contract attorneys rather than associates.
Wow this was exactly what I was looking for thanks a lot.

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:45 pm

Saiith wrote:

It is interesting right? You might also be interested to know that I discovered that this forum is infested with bored, unoriginal and pretentious trolls.
I may agree with the bolded, but not with the italicized lol.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

fundamentallybroken

Silver

Post by fundamentallybroken » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:48 pm

DoubleChecks wrote:
Saiith wrote:

I may agree with the bolded, but not with the italicized lol.
I would actually agree with all three, but such humility might get in the way of the third.

BarbellDreams

Gold

Post by BarbellDreams » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:55 pm

Cupidity wrote:
Saiith wrote:Okay, so I recently discovered that law schools inflate their employment after 9 mo numbers using a variety of techniques.
This was the first thought that came to mind for me as well.

Basically, if its the law school reporting it, dont believe it.

EdmundBurke23

Bronze

Post by EdmundBurke23 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:10 am

Cupidity wrote:
lol... this made me excrete a little.

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:30 pm

Aberzombie1892

Gold

Post by Aberzombie1892 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:31 pm

Kohinoor wrote:
Touche.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”