Why are employers so hung up on exactly 10-week summer jobs? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
saladfiend

New

Why are employers so hung up on exactly 10-week summer jobs?

Post by saladfiend » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:04 pm

Is there any particular reason why judicial chambers request 10-week externships? Between the law review write-on and summer OCI, this would leave me with 4 days off over the summer.

Geist13

Silver

Re: Why are employers so hung up on exactly 10-week summer jobs?

Post by Geist13 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:34 pm

You mean 4 days off other than the 20 weekend days you'll have off?

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:37 pm

Geist13 wrote:You mean 4 days off other than the 20 weekend days you'll have off?
you mean you don't get summer break in biglaw?

Gold

Post by 005618502 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:38 pm

Geist13 wrote:You mean 4 days off other than the 20 weekend days you'll have off?
haha i like this response

wiseowl

Silver

Post by wiseowl » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:28 am

All the internet tuff guys came out to play I see.

I think everyone knows biglaw or any real job is a grind. Coming off of 1L, possibly one of the most stressful years of your life, I can at least empathize a bit with OP.

OP, I negotiated my internship down last summer (for job fair purposes, not laziness) with no repercussions at all. It's at least worth it to ask.
Last edited by wiseowl on Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Borhas

Platinum

Post by Borhas » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:03 pm

glad I'm gonna (hopefully) work for the G-man

weekend + federal holidays + vacation + sick days

that's like almost a third of the year
Last edited by Borhas on Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sup Kid

Silver

Post by Sup Kid » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:04 pm

Borhas wrote:glad I'm gonna (hopefully) work for the G-man

If you think government attorneys don't do work on the weekend, you are sorely mistaken.

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:10 pm

Sup Kid wrote:

If you think government attorneys don't do work on the weekend, you are sorely mistaken.
kind of depends on what their job is, no?

i mean, it is probably not as customary as it is in biglaw

Borhas

Platinum

Post by Borhas » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:14 pm

Sup Kid wrote:

yeah and I bet they work on Christmas too
Last edited by Borhas on Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:17 pm

Borhas wrote:
Sup Kid wrote:

they're required to by law. separation of church and state.

awsiler

New

Post by awsiler » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:29 pm

fatduck wrote:
Borhas wrote:
Sup Kid wrote:

Federal employees are not required to work on Christmas, it is considered a federal holiday. If a case requires work, that is a different thing, but federal employees are also compensated for working on a holiday. Have you ever seen a calendar with "Christmas or XXX Holiday observed"... if the holiday falls on a weekend, they are given the observed day instead. Not sure where you are getting your information, but my husband is a federal employee...and he gets more days off than I do in the private sector.

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:34 pm

awsiler wrote:
fatduck wrote:
Borhas wrote:
Sup Kid wrote:If you think government attorneys don't do work on the weekend, you are sorely mistaken.

Federal employees are not required to work on Christmas, it is considered a federal holiday. If a case requires work, that is a different thing, but federal employees are also compensated for working on a holiday. Have you ever seen a calendar with "Christmas or XXX Holiday observed"... if the holiday falls on a weekend, they are given the observed day instead. Not sure where you are getting your information, but my husband is a federal employee...and he gets more days off than I do in the private sector.
what was that sound I heard???

Borhas

Platinum

Post by Borhas » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:35 pm

Awsiler, the guy was making a funny

but, is the pay thing true about weekends? In general... Do salaried employees get compensated for times outside of the normal work day? (talking about state/local gov't workers too now)

I've looked at some Memo's of Understanding between PD/DA's and their respective counties, and some say that the standard work day is 8-5pm M-F and weekends are rest days... now I know for sure that these folks work past 5pm, but at what point would they start getting extra money, especially if they work on weekends?

I'd ask the offices, but I think it'll make me look lazy.
Last edited by Borhas on Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Stanford4Me

Platinum

Post by Stanford4Me » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:44 pm

I'm working BIGLAW over the summer and have two days off for holidays. They also give 4 weeks vacation (and I was told by many associates that many people use a lot of that vaction . . . I don't see myself taking 4 weeks off, though). Moral of the story: Don't work in NYC. 8) That being said, you are in for a rude awakening if you're complaining about only having 4 days off over the summer. Welcome to the rest of your life.

Edit: I'm also trying to do a one week program with a firm so that I'm not lazy doing nothing during that week. Step your game up, OP. Shit just got serious.

Wholigan

Silver

Post by Wholigan » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:52 pm

Borhas wrote:Awsiler, the guy was making a funny

but, is the pay thing true about weekends? In general... Do salaried employees get compensated for times outside of the normal work day? (talking about state/local gov't workers too now)

I've looked at some Memo's of Understanding between PD/DA's and their respective counties, and some say that the standard work day is 8-5pm M-F and weekends are rest days... now I know for sure that these folks work past 5pm, but at what point would they start getting extra money, especially if they work on weekends?

I recently talked to a grad of my school who works for the SSA, and that person said you get paid overtime for over 40 hours, even staying late on a weekday.

awsiler

New

Post by awsiler » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:56 pm

Wholigan wrote:

I recently talked to a grad of my school who works for the SSA, and that person said you get paid overtime for over 40 hours, even staying late on a weekday.
Actually, it depends on your position. They will try everything possible not to pay you lol. My husband is in a supervisory position, but is not technically salary... if he works over 40, he is supposed to get overtime, but a while back they made a ruling that they only get comp time. They can then let you have the comp time as vacation or as pay, but they decide, not you. If you are salary, you are expected to work a minimum of 50 hours, and most of them have some type of time tracking system (even for salary). Depends on the office of course, but thats generally how it works. It is FLSA federal law to get "compensated" after forty hours IF you are not administrative personnel. Read here, paper pusher. That is how they can get away with comp time vs actually paying you. Hope that helps.

powerlawyer06

Bronze

Post by powerlawyer06 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:00 pm

fatduck wrote:
Borhas wrote:
Sup Kid wrote:

LOL (please don't take a break in April, these threads are boring with your comments)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Nicholasnickynic

Silver

Post by Nicholasnickynic » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:13 pm

Stanford4Me wrote:I'm working BIGLAW over the summer and have two days off for holidays. They also give 4 weeks vacation (and I was told by many associates that many people use a lot of that vaction . . . I don't see myself taking 4 weeks off, though). Moral of the story: Don't work in NYC. 8) That being said, you are in for a rude awakening if you're complaining about only having 4 days off over the summer. Welcome to the rest of your life.

Edit: I'm also trying to do a one week program with a firm so that I'm not lazy doing nothing during that week. Step your game up, OP. Shit just got serious.
Shouldn't you be working on the west coast? Seems like NYC is a long way from Standford.

Stanford4Me

Platinum

Post by Stanford4Me » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:26 pm

Nicholasnickynic wrote:
Stanford4Me wrote:I'm working BIGLAW over the summer and have two days off for holidays. They also give 4 weeks vacation (and I was told by many associates that many people use a lot of that vaction . . . I don't see myself taking 4 weeks off, though). Moral of the story: Don't work in NYC. 8) That being said, you are in for a rude awakening if you're complaining about only having 4 days off over the summer. Welcome to the rest of your life.

Shouldn't you be working on the west coast? Seems like NYC is a long way from Standford.
A) Check the 'tar broseph, my name is a misnomer.
B) I'll be working in Texas. YEEHAW.

Sup Kid

Silver

Post by Sup Kid » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:29 pm

Sup Kid wrote:

My experience is from working in a large USAO over the summer and having a family member who works in a DOJ division. In both cases, they are salaried attorneys, and do not get paid overtime if they work late or work on weekends (which happens somewhat regularly, though obviously not as much as in Biglaw). They do have off for federal holidays, and they get vacation/sick days.

Julio_El_Chavo

Silver

Post by Julio_El_Chavo » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:39 pm

no one cares about what you do your 1L summer. just do what's easiest to get by. i had a very unprestigious 1L summer job and over-performed relative to my GPA range during 2L OCI. seriously, no ones cares. just get good grades, do the bare minimum to be able to get a solid letter of recommendation from your 1L judge/firm/employer, and stress about other things that are more important like OCI

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:42 pm

I got 5 paid vacation days (non-holidays) at my old job. We did not get any sick days. I have zero sympathy for OP.

awsiler

New

Post by awsiler » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:45 pm

keg411 wrote:I got 5 paid vacation days (non-holidays) at my old job. We did not get any sick days. I have zero sympathy for OP.
LOL I have been with my employer for four years, always having five paid vacation days. We do get five days sick pay also... but now that I am leaving, I am going to miss out on the five year employment bump where I would get an extra week of each! Timing!!!

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:06 pm

Some of the Federal government jobs factor in overtime in the regular paycheck but don't allow you to comp overtime over that. Meaning, your GS level is xx, then you get locality pay at xx percent, and then you get overtime pay at xx percent. You'll then be required to work at least 50 hours a week but many in those jobs will work more than that anyways and not get compensated for that extra time.

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:16 pm

saladfiend wrote:Is there any particular reason why judicial chambers request 10-week externships? Between the law review write-on and summer OCI, this would leave me with 4 days off over the summer.
It coincides with the solstice.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”