Appellate Clinic or Moot Court? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Appellate Clinic or Moot Court?

Poll ended at Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:36 am

Clinic
69%
Moot Court
31%

Total votes: 13

Anonymous User

Appellate Clinic or Moot Court?

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:36 am

Which would be better for employment prospects?

Danteshek

Gold

Re: Appellate Clinic or Moot Court?

Post by Danteshek » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:57 am

Neither is going to help much. You are better off doing a directed research and publishing a law review article.

drdolittle

Silver

Post by drdolittle » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:01 am

Danteshek wrote:Neither is going to help much. You are better off doing a directed research and publishing a law review article.
Really, why is this? I'd think depending on career goals, legal research might not be the best choice for all.

blueprint87

New

Post by blueprint87 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:06 am

bump

Cupidity

Gold

Post by Cupidity » Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:25 am

I find that those who were involved with Moot Court tend to have a great deal of respect for it, because of that some figure (lets say 1/5) of potential employers look upon it very favorably, regardless of any objective value it may or may not have. I don't think the appellate clinic is likely to have the same effect.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

blueprint87

New

Post by blueprint87 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:43 am

Cupidity wrote:I find that those who were involved with Moot Court tend to have a great deal of respect for it, because of that some figure (lets say 1/5) of potential employers look upon it very favorably, regardless of any objective value it may or may not have. I don't think the appellate clinic is likely to have the same effect.
Would you recommend doing both if OP has the time? I am in a similar situation where I am trying to decide between an externship in a Criminal Appeals unit and doing Moot Court. However, if it is manageable to do both then that is probably what I will do.

drdolittle

Silver

Post by drdolittle » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:03 am

blueprint87 wrote: Would you recommend doing both if OP has the time? I am in a similar situation where I am trying to decide between an externship in a Criminal Appeals unit and doing Moot Court. However, if it is manageable to do both then that is probably what I will do.
I'd think doing both would be ideal for experience and connections, if manageable. Might be tough...Though I've heard the amount of extra time required for clinical work can vary broadly.

npe

Bronze

Post by npe » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:04 am

So the question is whether real appellate advocacy or fake appellate advocacy is better?

drdolittle

Silver

Post by drdolittle » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:08 am

npe wrote:So the question is whether real appellate advocacy or fake appellate advocacy is better?
Or whether both can be done well enough.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

alexonfyre

Bronze

Post by alexonfyre » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:45 pm

npe wrote:So the question is whether real appellate advocacy or fake appellate advocacy is better?
A real case you are tangentially involved in vs. a fake case you are deeply involved in

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Which would be better for employment prospects?
Are you asking about finding work in appellate lit specifically when you graduate? If so then the correct answer is "both, plus prayer".

Otherwise it doesn't matter that much. Both are ways of learning about the law outside the traditional casebook courses, but there are also other ways to do that effectively (other clinics, journals, academic writing, et cetera). Any of them are good and doing more than one of them can be better, but none of them are specific one-trumps-the-other things.

Maybe in a more specific sense, it could matter. (Ex: Appellate clinic run by well-connected prof is prominent and well-connected. Or, you actually win or at least highly place in the moot court competition.) But generally and broadly, one doesn't weigh that much more than the other.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”