Is this a letter of rejection? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
gabbagabba

New

Is this a letter of rejection?

Post by gabbagabba » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:09 pm

So I'm been applying to a few state agencies, and mostly I've gotten the standard "we think your qualifications are great, but f*ck off " letters, but recently I got an odd one - the agency wrote back saying they weren't sure where the Legislature was going with budget cuts (my state hasn't yet finalized it's yearly budget), but they'd keep my resume in the active file if anything opens up.

Is this another rejection letter, or is it something more like a wait-list?

fatduck

Gold

Re: Is this a letter of rejection?

Post by fatduck » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:13 pm

"we'll keep your resume on file" is almost always code for rejection. not sure about government, though. can't hurt to follow up later.

maf70

Bronze

Post by maf70 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:16 pm

Ive gotten this letter from judges, law firms, and government agencies. It is definitely a rejection letter.

gabbagabba

New

Post by gabbagabba » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:18 pm

fatduck wrote:"we'll keep your resume on file" is almost always code for rejection. not sure about government, though. can't hurt to follow up later.
Yeah, that's the weird thing - the "we'll keep it on file" is a typical rejection, but the explanation that 'they aren't sure about Legislature funding and they're waiting to see what happens' is what makes me think it might be genuine

FWIW, my state is like the Fed's situation right now - there's no budget in place b/c of gridlock between Repub/Dem over the budget cuts and nothings getting done and no one knows where the cuts will come from

Unitas

Silver

Post by Unitas » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:53 pm

gabbagabba wrote:
fatduck wrote:"we'll keep your resume on file" is almost always code for rejection. not sure about government, though. can't hurt to follow up later.
Yeah, that's the weird thing - the "we'll keep it on file" is a typical rejection, but the explanation that 'they aren't sure about Legislature funding and they're waiting to see what happens' is what makes me think it might be genuine

FWIW, my state is like the Fed's situation right now - there's no budget in place b/c of gridlock between Repub/Dem over the budget cuts and nothings getting done and no one knows where the cuts will come from
If you really want to work there offer to work for free or free unless they can fund it. Basically show you'll try and make it work if it is your first choice. Chances are you'll get back they don't have funds for someone to supervise you or something. All and all it is a rejection, but not caused by you I would say.

My weirdest "rejection" was a judicial internship reply letter that never said no or we can't have you. It basically said I was in contention for the 2012-2013 clerkship.. i don't even graduate by then. It was weird and I just summarily discarded it as a rejection, but I already had a summer gig anyhow so following up didn't make much sense.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”