Current Job Status for Law Students (poll) Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Job Status?

1. 1L no summer job
15%
2. 1L have summer job
38%
3. 2L no summer job
2%
4. 2L have summer job
29%
5. 3L no permanent legal employment
6%
6. 3L have permanent legal employment
4%
7. No longer want to practice law
6%

Total votes: 112

Cal4future

New

Current Job Status for Law Students (poll)

Post by Cal4future » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:36 am

I want to get an idea of how law students are fairing in terms of summer employment and post 3L employment.

edit: added option 7
Last edited by Cal4future on Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:08 am, edited 2 times in total.

Cal4future

New

Re: Current Job Status for Law Students (poll)

Post by Cal4future » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:57 am

Seems like things are positive. Bump.

somewhatwayward

Silver

Post by somewhatwayward » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:00 am

you're going to get selection bias, though, bc people who have jobs will be more inclined to respond.

Cal4future

New

Post by Cal4future » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:04 am

True, I just wanted a sampling of TLSrs though.

Anonymous Loser

Silver

Post by Anonymous Loser » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:11 am

somewhatwayward wrote:you're going to get selection bias, though, bc people who have jobs will be more inclined to respond.
I'm not so sure if this is an accurate assumption. In fact, the opposite may be true: posters here seem more than willing to voice concerns about their lack of employment.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

OGR3

Silver

Post by OGR3 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:17 am

It'd be nice if there were options for paid/unpaid summer job, at least for 1Ls.

Cal4future

New

Post by Cal4future » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:21 am

I thought about adding paid/unpaid but that would make the poll a little too complex. If anything I would have done paid/unpaid 2L jobs. 1L doesn't matter.

FalafelWaffle

Bronze

Post by FalafelWaffle » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:07 pm

Anonymous Loser wrote:
somewhatwayward wrote:you're going to get selection bias, though, bc people who have jobs will be more inclined to respond.
I'm not so sure if this is an accurate assumption. In fact, the opposite may be true: posters here seem more than willing to voice concerns about their lack of employment.
The real overarching selection bias is polling the forums. This place is about as far from a nonrandom sample of law students as you can get. But still, if the OP just wants to know if there is a nontrivial amount of people with jobs to make him/herself feel better about going to law school (and I of course would like to know the same), and identifies with the posters as his peers and doesn't care as long as he sees decent numbers and whether or not you can draw a statistically valid conclusion be damned, then yes. Fuck.

dood

Gold

Post by dood » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:14 pm

FalafelWaffle wrote:
Anonymous Loser wrote:
The real overarching selection bias is polling the forums. This place is about as far from a nonrandom sample of law students as you can get. But still, if the OP just wants to know if there is a nontrivial amount of people with jobs to make him/herself feel better about going to law school (and I of course would like to know the same), and identifies with the posters as his peers and doesn't care as long as he sees decent numbers and whether or not you can draw a statistically valid conclusion be damned, then yes. Fuck.
fwiw, the 10/11 of the 2Ls with jerbs are HYS LR folks, and the 1 non is an IPer with a Ph.D. in molecular biology.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Cal4future

New

Post by Cal4future » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:43 pm

[quote="FalafelWaffle"][quote="Anonymous Loser"][quote="somewhatwayward"]you're going to get selection bias, though, bc people who have jobs will be more inclined to respond.[/quote]

I'm not so sure if this is an accurate assumption. In fact, the opposite may be true: posters here seem more than willing to voice concerns about their lack of employment.[/quote]

The real overarching selection bias is polling the forums. This place is about as far from a nonrandom sample of law students as you can get. But still, if the OP just wants to know if there is a nontrivial amount of people with jobs to make him/herself feel better about going to law school (and I of course would like to know the same), and identifies with the posters as his peers and doesn't care as long as he sees decent numbers and whether or not you can draw a statistically valid conclusion be damned, then yes. Fuck.[/quote]

I'm a 2L, I have a job, and I don't go to HYS. I am just curious as to the job status for TLSrs.

somewhatwayward

Silver

Post by somewhatwayward » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:49 pm

^
you missed the joke.

FalafelWaffle

Bronze

Post by FalafelWaffle » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:52 pm

Cal4future wrote:
FalafelWaffle wrote:
Anonymous Loser wrote:
I'm a 2L, I have a job, and I don't go to HYS. I am just curious as to the job status for TLSrs.
My joke at least was that halfway through critiquing the poll I realized that it was something I would have done and psychologically benefit from anyway.

Cal4future

New

Post by Cal4future » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:28 pm

It was far too logical and probable to be a joke. haha

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:02 pm

so is a 3L with a clerkship considered a 3L without permanent employment then?

wesker

New

Post by wesker » Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:08 pm

are we counting RAing as a job?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”