I only want Wachtell, Lipton, Rosen, and a Cat Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
PLATONiC

Bronze

I only want Wachtell, Lipton, Rosen, and a Cat

Post by PLATONiC » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:22 pm

I only want to go to law school because I want biglaw. Nothing else; yes, I do think the study of law is very interesting, and I would have decided to go in a heart beat if I was trying to make this decision a decade ago. But now, it's only worth it for me to go to law school if and only if I make biglaw.

Is there anybody else out there who cares to admit that they are attending law school for the exact same reasons?

sayan

Bronze

Re: I only want Wachtell, Lipton, Rosen, and a Cat

Post by sayan » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:26 pm

Only if it's the cat in my avatar.

goldeneagle

New

Post by goldeneagle » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:28 pm

retake

alexb

Bronze

Post by alexb » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:31 pm

a roof over my head and food pls. a couple friends and a girl would be icing :)

PLATONiC

Bronze

Post by PLATONiC » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:34 pm

alexb wrote:a roof over my head and food pls. a couple friends and a girl would be icing :)
A roof over your head coupled with personal interest in studying law is sufficient reason for attending law school?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

gabbagabba

New

Post by gabbagabba » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:36 pm

PLATONiC wrote:I only want to go to law school because I want biglaw. Nothing else; yes, I do think the study of law is very interesting, and I would have decided to go in a heart beat if I was trying to make this decision a decade ago. But now, it's only worth it for me to go to law school if and only if I make biglaw.

Is there anybody else out there who cares to admit that they are attending law school for the exact same reasons?
If this is the gamble you wanna take, you gotta know the odds - they aren't in your favor, and everyone goes to law school thinking "I can make it even though my classmates will fail". Anyway you slice it, it's a huge gamble if biglaw is all you wanna do

I direct your attention to this article: http://abovethelaw.com/2010/04/the-hubr ... e-lawyers/

More specifically, this paragraph:
According to a recent Kaplan Test Prep and Admissions survey of 330 pre-law students, 52% report that they are “very confident” that they will find a job in the legal field after graduating law school and passing the bar, but only 16% say they are “very confident” that the majority of their fellow aspiring lawyers will do the same. In fact, only seven percent of respondents indicated a lack of confidence in their own ability to secure employment upon graduation. . . .

Honestly, the depths of hubris the would-be graduating class of 2013 shows here is beyond “self-confidence,” it goes straight to “self-delusion.” There’s no way 52% of pre-law students should be “very confident” about anything other than getting screwed with their pants on — and the fact that these same people can only point out the flaws in their own logic when thinking about other people is sickening. It’s the same idiocy that makes a person say “I can get a Biglaw job coming out of Law School X so long as I’m in the top ten percent of the class,” without understanding that everybody thinks they’ll be in the top ten percent of the class.
Last edited by gabbagabba on Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

alexb

Bronze

Post by alexb » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:40 pm

PLATONiC wrote:
alexb wrote:a roof over my head and food pls. a couple friends and a girl would be icing :)
A roof over your head coupled with personal interest in studying law is sufficient reason for attending law school?
No, but wanting to be a lawyer as a means to that end is a sufficient reason for attending law school.

PLATONiC

Bronze

Post by PLATONiC » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:43 pm

gabbagabba wrote: I direct your attention to this article: http://abovethelaw.com/2010/04/the-hubr ... e-lawyers/
But I don't need to be top 10% if I get into a T14 program.

gabbagabba

New

Post by gabbagabba » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:48 pm

PLATONiC wrote:
gabbagabba wrote: I direct your attention to this article: http://abovethelaw.com/2010/04/the-hubr ... e-lawyers/
But I don't need to be top 10% if I get into a T14 program.
Even that's not a guarantee - there's plenty of T14 graduates out there without a job or underemployed.

Law school isn't the gravy train it once was - the biglaw model is failing, firms are downsizing, and there's less cake to go around, which means a lot of people are gonna be left out in the cold. My advice is to read more before taking the plunge - read abovethelaw.com, read blogs, etc - know what you're getting into, know that the odds are definitely against you, and know what the consequences are if your gambit doesn't pay off. You really oughta have a backup plan if things don't work out, because the debt that comes from an overpriced law school education isn't something to be taken lightly.

If you still wanna go to law school, hey, it's your life - do what makes you happy or what you think will work. In the end, you're the one in control of your life

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

somewhatwayward

Silver

Post by somewhatwayward » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:59 am

SOCRATiC, are you and PLATONiC the same person?

PLATONiC

Bronze

Post by PLATONiC » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:37 am

somewhatwayward wrote:SOCRATiC, are you and PLATONiC the same person?
I have no clue who that is... lol. He must have copied by ID.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:12 am

Biglaw is the only reason yes -- but it doesn't have to be a V10 firm for me.

Tangerine Gleam

Silver

Post by Tangerine Gleam » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:02 am

Go V1 or go home. Noble goal.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Alex-Trof

Silver

Post by Alex-Trof » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:16 am

6-figure income sounds very desirable to me. Even -taxes, loan repayment, COL, still a good chunk of money.

Malcolm8X

Bronze

Post by Malcolm8X » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:18 am

Anonymous User wrote:Biglaw is the only reason yes -- but it doesn't have to be a V10 firm for me.
+1

PLATONiC

Bronze

Post by PLATONiC » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:32 am

Malcolm8X wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Biglaw is the only reason yes -- but it doesn't have to be a V10 firm for me.
+1
+1

I'm almost tempted to plan out something pretty extreme: After my first semester at a T13 (I will only go to law school if I get admitted to one of these), if I do NOT have above median, then I will drop out:D

ArthurDigbySellers

Bronze

Post by ArthurDigbySellers » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:33 am

No connubial bliss?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”