1L: Just take the job at this point...? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

1L: Just take the job at this point...?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:07 pm

Hey all,

1L at a top 30. Top 20%. Ideally want to do transactional.

Due to a variety of circumstances that came up, I didn't end up applying to firms/judges until mid-February. I realize that most firm work is gone by this point.

I have an offer from a state trial judge in Chicago. I've got one week to accept/decline, no extensions. I realize that this is not a prestigious position, nor do I ultimately want to do litigation. However, I'm straight out of UG and have zero legal experience/weak work experience so anything would be beneficial.

I've currently got apps in to some federal district court judges, state appellate judges, and some corporate in-house legal positions. Have yet to hear back from the judges and I don't think the in-house positions will be interviewing until late March/April.

Would you guys take this position? Will it hurt me at all for OCI? I feel I could get a similar externship with a state trial judge fairly easily a month or two from now, but the prospect of possibly not having anything at all is rather intimidating.

Thanks TLS.

MrPapagiorgio

Gold

Re: 1L: Just take the job at this point...?

Post by MrPapagiorgio » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:13 pm

This is what I hate about the application process--having a guaranteed offer with a deadline without hearing back from better offers. Wait a few more days to hear back from the better offers. If you don't hear back, I would consider accepting the offered position. It is not ideal, but is better than nothing during OCI. Even if you get offers from the other jobs later on, try not to feel regret. A bird in hand....

adude

New

Post by adude » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:23 pm

You can leverage your offer to check on the status of applications for the in house positions and, at the same time, convey that you are most interested in working for their company. This may also reflect well on you, since it shows them you are more dedicated to their job. also shows them that at least one judge has found you to be good material, so it makes them take a second look at your application.

however, this strategy will not work for the fed judges.

Sup Kid

Silver

Post by Sup Kid » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:29 pm

You can do litigation 1L summer and then do transactional at a firm, no problem. Just be able to give a reason during OCI why you prefer to do transactional, and you'll be fine.

Master Tofu

Bronze

Post by Master Tofu » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:06 am

Nobody cares whether you want to do litigation or transactional when hiring for a large law firm. This decision entirely depends on your own risk tolerance (putting aside the etiquette issue). Can you see yourself holding out for two more months without it completely ruining your life for those two months? If not, just take the job.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

UCLAtransfer

Bronze

Post by UCLAtransfer » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:26 am

All of the above is very solid advice.

Definitely agree about contacting other places to let them know of the pending offer, since you really have nothing to lose on that front. Also concur that any legal work is going to be good, and won't hurt your chances at transactional as long as you can speak intelligently about how you had a good experience over the summer but that it cemented your desire to do transactional for X, Y, and Z reasons.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:12 am

Thanks for the advice.

Any other thoughts on whether the level of externship (state trial) will adversely affect Fall OCI?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:03 pm

One last time up.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Thanks for the advice.

Any other thoughts on whether the level of externship (state trial) will adversely affect Fall OCI?
just an anecdote. A friend of mine had an externship with a judge (state trial level) for the summer of his 1L. He secured a market paying firm offer for 2L summer during his OCI's. Apparently that firm didn't care.

Either way, I think you'll be fine.

Stanford4Me

Platinum

Post by Stanford4Me » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:17 pm

Firms don't care (as much as you think they do).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”