1L with a summer associate interview next week. What to do?? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

1L with a summer associate interview next week. What to do??

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:03 pm

Super nervous/ excited. This is a program for under represented minorities (including LGBT, et al) My resume is a lil skimpy (straight out of UG). Interview supposed to last two hours. Any thoughts/ experiences in this process is greatly appreciated.

Do I need to pick an interest area (corporate or litigation) or is that more irrelevant when dealing with 1LS.

Thanks!

LLB2JD

Silver

Re: 1L with a summer associate interview next week. What to do??

Post by LLB2JD » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Super nervous/ excited. This is a program for under represented minorities (including LGBT, et al) My resume is a lil skimpy (straight out of UG). Interview supposed to last two hours. Any thoughts/ experiences in this process is greatly appreciated.

Do I need to pick an interest area (corporate or litigation) or is that more irrelevant when dealing with 1LS.

Thanks!
Just curious - Is your interview at a big law firm?

dougroberts

Bronze

Post by dougroberts » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:32 pm

Search the forums for OCI (On Campus Interview) tips, etc. OCI is for 2L's, but they are generally the same/reflective of what to expect in any law firm interview.

Start here:
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 3&t=120382

phonepro

Bronze

Post by phonepro » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Super nervous/ excited. This is a program for under represented minorities (including LGBT, et al) My resume is a lil skimpy (straight out of UG). Interview supposed to last two hours. Any thoughts/ experiences in this process is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
No, don't pick an interest area. You don't have any relevant experience and only 1 semester of LS under your belt. They aren't going to expect you to know exactly what you want to do. Depending on the size of the firm, you also don't know what areas they need the most help in. You should express your desire to remain open to ALL areas of the law (especially if the firm does both corporate and litigation). If its a rather large firm, express you desire to service businesses in all aspects of the law.

Research the shit out of the firm. Know all the areas they practice in. Also research the people you will be interviewing with. But don't bring up nonsense stalkerish things, unless they come up naturally.

Last, be yourself. Don't be stuffy. They already liked your resume, they want to know about you. I'd guess this is even more true considering its a diversity type job.

patrickd139

Gold

Post by patrickd139 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:19 pm

phonepro wrote:

Thanks!
No, don't pick an interest area. You don't have any relevant experience and only 1 semester of LS under your belt. They aren't going to expect you to know exactly what you want to do. Depending on the size of the firm, you also don't know what areas they need the most help in. You should express your desire to remain open to ALL areas of the law (especially if the firm does both corporate and litigation). If its a rather large firm, express you desire to service businesses in all aspects of the law.

Research the shit out of the firm. Know all the areas they practice in. Also research the people you will be interviewing with. But don't bring up nonsense stalkerish things, unless they come up naturally.

Last, be yourself. Don't be stuffy. They already liked your resume, they want to know about you. I'd guess this is even more true considering its a diversity type job.
Solid advice. Also, be prepared to discuss how the diversity aspect that landed you the interview will benefit their firm.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:23 pm

LLB2JD wrote:

Thanks!
Just curious - Is your interview at a big law firm?
Yes

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:26 pm

phonepro wrote:

Thanks!

My resume is ass. Well, not total ass but not impressive at all. I am straight out of UG. Not much exp. Worked odd jobs for scratch to get by.

I think it was my personal statement that got me this far. I poured my heart into it. Trust me, its a great story.

Also, I did reasonably well enough 1st semester

patrickd139

Gold

Post by patrickd139 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
phonepro wrote:

Thanks!

My resume is ass. Well, not total ass but not impressive at all. I am straight out of UG. Not much exp. Worked odd jobs for scratch to get by.

I think it was my personal statement that got me this far. I poured my heart into it. Trust me, its a great story.

Could also be that you're an underrepresented minority. Just sayin'... ;)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:32 pm

patrickd139 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
phonepro wrote:

Thanks!

Could also be that you're an underrepresented minority. Just sayin'... ;)

Well this was only open for urms. So by default, they were gonna pick a urm. I just happened to be one of the more attractive candidates out of the pool.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bilboteabaggins

New

Post by bilboteabaggins » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:57 pm

a very very small pool.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:35 pm

is this in ny or another city?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”