Approximate percentile? Clerkship prospects? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Approximate percentile? Clerkship prospects?

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:44 pm

2L at HLS. Under the weird pass/fail-but-we're-still-assigning-GPA-values-to-your-grades system, my GPA would be a 3.8 (one DS thrown in the mix, nearly all large lecture black letter law courses, and only a few P's over all). Anyone know where I would stand in terms of ranking? Top 15%? Latin honors?

Also, I'd like to clerk for a district court upon graduation. Will have two pretty solid recommendations from very well-known profs. Reaches? Targets? Safeties? No LR, unfortunately. Would prefer major east coast markets, but am somewhat flexible.

Anonymous User

Re: Approximate percentile? Clerkship prospects?

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:43 pm

I'm an HLS 3L clerking next year. I'm not sure about your rank, but that is definitely an excellent GPA and should give you a good shot at any district court. You should also have a good shot at COA judges. If you are serious about clerking though, I'd still suggest applying reasonably broadly, since the process can be unpredictable.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:10 am

Bump

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:51 am

For the YLS/SLSers out there who are curious about how this might translate, could you post your H-P-Deans List (or whatever you call it at HLS) breakdown? 3.8 doesn't mean much to me...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:58 am

OP here. Sure.

1L Grades
H's in 6 four-credit classes and 1 two-credit class (LRW). Of those 6, one was a Dean's Scholar award, which counts as a 5 on a 4-point GPA scale.
P's in 2 four-credit classes and 1 two-credit class (LRW).

2L Grades (thus far)
H's in 2 four-credit classes and 1 three-credit class
P in 1 four-credit class

Cumulative GPA just breaks the 3.8 mark.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”