Having some buyer's remorse on job choice Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
ta06fsu

New

Having some buyer's remorse on job choice

Post by ta06fsu » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:33 pm

About a month ago I secured an internship with a Federal Magistrate Judge who was actually tabbed by Obama at around the same time for one of the vacant District seats in her district. But recently I've been having buyer's remorse. This internship is unpaid and I'll be treating it as class credit so I'll be paying for it. I didnt even participate in OCI. I cant help but think I made a bad choice by not interviewing and maybe making decent money instead of delving into some more debt. Anybody else going through something similar?

Anonymous User

Re: Having some buyer's remorse on job choice

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:00 pm

ta06fsu wrote:About a month ago I secured an internship with a Federal Magistrate Judge who was actually tabbed by Obama at around the same time for one of the vacant District seats in her district. But recently I've been having buyer's remorse. This internship is unpaid and I'll be treating it as class credit so I'll be paying for it. I didnt even participate in OCI. I cant help but think I made a bad choice by not interviewing and maybe making decent money instead of delving into some more debt. Anybody else going through something similar?
Yeah. Try not to worry about it too much. I accepted the first offer that came along and kind of regret it myself. The firm told me that I could pick how long I worked, so I went ahead and accepted the entire summer. After I accepted that offer, I had offers for callbacks at three firms and two state agencies that came along. All of the firms paid better than the one I accepted (and a couple would have done split summers, which would have allowed me to work with them and the small firm I accepted), but I guess it's better to be certain about having a job than to worry about whether I would have even gotten an offer from any of the others.

ta06fsu

New

Post by ta06fsu » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
ta06fsu wrote:About a month ago I secured an internship with a Federal Magistrate Judge who was actually tabbed by Obama at around the same time for one of the vacant District seats in her district. But recently I've been having buyer's remorse. This internship is unpaid and I'll be treating it as class credit so I'll be paying for it. I didnt even participate in OCI. I cant help but think I made a bad choice by not interviewing and maybe making decent money instead of delving into some more debt. Anybody else going through something similar?
Yeah. Try not to worry about it too much. I accepted the first offer that came along and kind of regret it myself. The firm told me that I could pick how long I worked, so I went ahead and accepted the entire summer. After I accepted that offer, I had offers for callbacks at three firms and two state agencies that came along. All of the firms paid better than the one I accepted (and a couple would have done split summers, which would have allowed me to work with them and the small firm I accepted), but I guess it's better to be certain about having a job than to worry about whether I would have even gotten an offer from any of the others.

yeah you're right.

zomginternets

Silver

Post by zomginternets » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Yeah. Try not to worry about it too much. I accepted the first offer that came along and kind of regret it myself. The firm told me that I could pick how long I worked, so I went ahead and accepted the entire summer. After I accepted that offer, I had offers for callbacks at three firms and two state agencies that came along. All of the firms paid better than the one I accepted (and a couple would have done split summers, which would have allowed me to work with them and the small firm I accepted), but I guess it's better to be certain about having a job than to worry about whether I would have even gotten an offer from any of the others.
+1 on this. I took a paying firm job for my 1L summer, but the DAY AFTER I accepted that position, I subsequently got 2 interview offer for judicial internships and a corporate SA position that I had to turn down, both of which I would have seriously considered instead of the firm job. (The corporate SA position paid more too.) But meh, it's nice to have peace of mind now though (was seriously tripping out about not getting a summer job), and be able to focus on school + grades.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”