top-paying attorney jobs Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
richardson

New

top-paying attorney jobs

Post by richardson » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:17 am

So, I'm a dude who's doing alright so far in law school (1L though..), and is looking to net some serious cash after being in school studying hard for a solid quarter of a century.

I have an engineering degree and am considering patent law -- probably not prosecution though, I would like to do litigation and/or licensing, and client-counseling with mergers and acquisitions. Also, my internship will be giving me rotations in IP and in some type of corporate/business law though I know next to nothing about the latter.

With that said, I'm largely ambivalent to what I end up practicing because: (a) I'm too ignorant (naive) to know what I like at this point, and (b) right now (I think) I like winning at high-powered shit where a lot is on the table and a lot is at stake. So if it fits category (b) then I'm sold.

My question is this: outside of the big-time personal injury trial attorneys who strike it big, what are the top paying attorney jobs 10-15 years after starting work when you've made a little bit of a name for yourself and are fast becoming an expert and rising star in your field?

My thoughts right now are:
(1) securities with IPO specialty
(2) mergers and acquisitions expert
(3) antitrust expert
(4) lead corporate counsel at fortune 100 focusing on 1-3 (probably not possible in 10-15 yrs tho)
(5) a tenured academic professor who is an expert in and consults heavily on 1-3

Basically, 1-3 are the shit that gets to the root of corporations and money which is why I figure they'd be lucrative. So is this true? Are these folks making the biggest buck or is it IP boutique people or is it xyz people?

pls no nasty remarks, I'm not a gunner as you may think (for true!), although I may be a tool...

fatduck

Gold

Re: top-paying attorney jobs

Post by fatduck » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:19 am

(6) be the next Morgan Chu

MrPapagiorgio

Gold

Post by MrPapagiorgio » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:21 am

One of the most elaborate troll's I have seen in a while. My personal favorite:
richardson wrote:I like winning at high-powered shit where a lot is on the table and a lot is at stake.

MrPapagiorgio

Gold

Post by MrPapagiorgio » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:23 am

richardson wrote:Although I may be am a tool...
FTFY

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:24 am

Don't hate. Some of us are just addicted to winning.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

richardson

New

Post by richardson » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:26 am

MrPapagiorgio wrote:One of the most elaborate troll's I have seen in a while.
it's like that fable about the mouse that heard horse hooves pounding off in the distances and was convinced it was zebras cause the zebras ran over his mom 10 yrs ago in a field just south of his current hovel

Alex-Trof

Silver

Post by Alex-Trof » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:48 am

Go with this firm. You will definitely be making all kind of money.

Seriously, though, if you are really a rock star, you will make a lot of money in any big law firm doing whichever area of law you want.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... 28234.html

FeelTheHeat

Platinum

Post by FeelTheHeat » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:49 am

fatduck wrote:Don't hate. Some of us are just addicted to winning.
Fatduck, you've been on a fucking roll tonight lol

MrKappus

Gold

Post by MrKappus » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:51 am

richardson wrote:So, I'm a dude who's doing alright so far in law school (1L though..), and is looking to net some serious cash after being in school studying hard for a solid quarter of a century.

I have an engineering degree and am considering patent law -- probably not prosecution though, I would like to do litigation and/or licensing, and client-counseling with mergers and acquisitions. Also, my internship will be giving me rotations in IP and in some type of corporate/business law though I know next to nothing about the latter.

With that said, I'm largely ambivalent to what I end up practicing because: (a) I'm too ignorant (naive) to know what I like at this point, and (b) right now (I think) I like winning at high-powered shit where a lot is on the table and a lot is at stake. So if it fits category (b) then I'm sold.

My question is this: outside of the big-time personal injury trial attorneys who strike it big, what are the top paying attorney jobs 10-15 years after starting work when you've made a little bit of a name for yourself and are fast becoming an expert and rising star in your field?

My thoughts right now are:
(1) securities with IPO specialty
(2) mergers and acquisitions expert
(3) antitrust expert
(4) lead corporate counsel at fortune 100 focusing on 1-3 (probably not possible in 10-15 yrs tho)
(5) a tenured academic professor who is an expert in and consults heavily on 1-3

Basically, 1-3 are the shit that gets to the root of corporations and money which is why I figure they'd be lucrative. So is this true? Are these folks making the biggest buck or is it IP boutique people or is it xyz people?

pls no nasty remarks, I'm not a gunner as you may think (for true!), although I may be a tool...
tl; dr. Be more concise if you wanna make that big money.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”